Problem getting open office to load -solved-

Using applications, configuring, problems
kidsafighting

Problem getting open office to load -solved-

#1 Post by kidsafighting »

I have puppy 4.2.1 on my laptop. I would love to have open office to make some spread sheets. I have read many threads on how to load the oo.sfs file. I have downloaded three different open office .sfs files. I copied them to mnt/home folder. When I go to the Setup boot configuration manager and choose to load an extra sfs file, I get a message saying there are no sfs files in the mnt/home folder.
the home folder in my mnt directory is what appears to be a shortcut to the home folder. I don't know if that is the problem or if the sfs files I downloaded are not compatible with 4.2.1. I tried renaming them to reflect _421. Nothing seems to work.
I would really appreciate some help.
Last edited by kidsafighting on Fri 11 Sep 2009, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

I think you are running a "full install", not a live CD or "frugal install". This means that you can't union an .sfs.

You can either:
1. Click on the .sfs to mount it, and run it from that mount point (You can get Puppy to mount it automatically at startup, and link whatever files are in the bin folder into /usr/bin, and link the .desktop files into /usr/share/applications if you want to add it to the menu).
2. Click on the .sfs to mount it, copy all the files out of it into /, and delete it later.
After doing either you'll need to run `fixmenus` and restart the window manager before it shows up in the menu.

BTW, I'm curious - what feature do you need that openoffice has but gnumeric hasn't?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

kidsafighting

Mounting works just need some scripting help

#3 Post by kidsafighting »

I do have a full install.
Coping the files to root did not do much but mounting and then running from the mounted directory worked well.
I have used linux for a while but don't anything about scripting.
I would appreciate it if some one could walk me through mounting a .sfs file during start up.
I have never tried gnumeric and I am more familiar with open office and ms office excel.

Thanks for your quick response.

kidsafighting

Problem solved

#4 Post by kidsafighting »

Thanks for your help.
I mounted the .sfs file, copied the contents from /mnt/openoffice to a new file I created in /root/office.
I then pulled the ~/office/opt/openoffice.org3/programs/soffice.bin file on to the desktop, added an icon and I can now launch a fully functional open office.
Could not have done it with out your suggestions. Thanks