Remastering Problems - missing files on boot [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
snowshaker

Remastering Problems - missing files on boot [SOLVED]

#1 Post by snowshaker »

I remastered a 4.3.1 boot CD with the specific options for my desktop and had no problems. I've also remastered 4.11 w/o problems for it and another desktop.

Now I have tried this several times on my laptop, and I get CD's that will boot and load the pup-save file properly from HD or USB pen drive. However, if I try to run it in ram, i.e., puppy pfix=ram, I get these errors.

WARNING: could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/initrd/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko ': No such file or director

FATAL: could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/initrd/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko ': No such file or directory

And the resulting x win screen is all garbled, but working from memory, I was able to blindly poke menu<setup>xvesa with my mouse and and get xwin to display properly and could look around.

When I went to find usbcore.ko and usbhid.ko, I found instead the compressed usbcore.ko.gz and usbhid.ko.gz in the respective folders. Yes, the files are missing, but they are there when I boot and load up a pup-save file.

Ideas?
Last edited by snowshaker on Thu 07 Jan 2010, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

PANZERKOPF

#2 Post by PANZERKOPF »

snowshaker

#3 Post by snowshaker »

Thanks, Panzerkopf.

So how do I use that rc.sysint download you posted in that other thread? I uncompress it and stick it somewhere in the pup-431.sfs before it gets iso'ed?

snowshaker

#4 Post by snowshaker »

FYI - Believe I figured out how to use Panzerkopf's file. I made another remaster, this time using the modded rc.sysinit file. I no longer get the two error messages, but the two files were still left unzipped. New error message about /sys not being mounted.

The new rc.sysinit was there though after the boot, under /etc/rc.d

edit: Fonebone on my part. I was previously using 4.11 and thought 4.3 was the latest and final. Silly me. Will go to 4.2 instead. . Thanks.

snowshaker

#5 Post by snowshaker »

I went back to 4.3 and used Dougals PupRemaster script to get my remaster.

Two things needed for 4.3 if you use it.

ReMaster solved.

moB

Re: Remastering Problems - missing files on boot [SOLVED]

#6 Post by moB »

snowshaker wrote:I remastered a 4.3.1 boot CD with the specific options for my desktop and had no problems. I've also remastered 4.11 w/o problems for it and another desktop.

Now I have tried this several times on my laptop, and I get CD's that will boot and load the pup-save file properly from HD or USB pen drive. However, if I try to run it in ram, i.e., puppy pfix=ram, I get these errors.

WARNING: could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/initrd/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko ': No such file or director

FATAL: could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/initrd/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko ': No such file or directory

And the resulting x win screen is all garbled, but working from memory, I was able to blindly poke menu<setup>xvesa with my mouse and and get xwin to display properly and could look around.

When I went to find usbcore.ko and usbhid.ko, I found instead the compressed usbcore.ko.gz and usbhid.ko.gz in the respective folders. Yes, the files are missing, but they are there when I boot and load up a pup-save file.

Ideas?
I am having a similar error message on NOP-431r2 with Guest Additions in VirtualBox 3.1.

Everything seems OK -- except that msWin is blocking my USB devices while the Sun thing runs: (The USB drives drop off the map -- "My Computer" -- after a failed attempt to find "drivers for unknown usb drives" -- they work until VBox tries to link to them.) Vbox then complains that the devices are busy, and can't access them.

So I think I have usb support.

My error revolves around missing usbhid.ko.gz, the compressed files, which *are* installed in the lib already.

What is trying to install them again? Is this really a fatal error?
Can I do something about it?

Help, please. My noob head is spinning looking for answers :?

moB

#7 Post by moB »

I think I might have something of the same problem described here, but would like to know how to deal with it without recompiling... yeah :roll:

My error, as noted above, is similar. The problem seems to also be a kernel bug, as reported by:

Author: Christian Krause <chkr@plauener.de>
Date: Mon Oct 17 14:30:48 2005 -0700

After the kernel loads USB high-speed drivers it makes another attempt...resulting in a warning and then "Fatal error" output.

It seems to have been dealt with as part of the kernel 2.6 revision:

Author: Adrian Bunk <adrian.bunk@movial.fi>
Date: Wed Mar 5 00:39:58 2008 +0200

Now, is there a manual or some noob-friendly info I can be aimed at to shapen my blunt head :?:

I would like to resolve this issue ASAP. Thanks for reading this. I hope to fix the "problem" without bothering Linus, himself :lol:
Attachments
bug.txt.bz2
Clippings from kernel information -- author and url info included.
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

moB

Spurious error output [Solved]

#8 Post by moB »

I made a tiny patch for the /etc/profile to suppress this error output, as the consensus is that it is harmless.

Hope important errors are dealt with before applying this!

Look here:
....http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=120

Hope it helps you ;-)

Have fun!

"See! Moby Dick seeks thee not. It is thou, thou, that madly seekest him!"
H. Melville, "Moby Dick", 1851