Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
MinHundHettePerro

#421 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

Booting frugally, without save-file, with pkeys=se sets se kbd/chars for console (not term. emulators, nor for other X-apps). 1:st boot set-up: going to xorgwizard, setting up my screen-res., restarting X, gets X-dependent apps to use my kbd-layout :D :D.
Also on initial boot, setting my TZ to GMT +2 (Summer(bureaucratic)time for GMT+1) works nicely :). Upon re-boot, though, jwm-taskbar-clock is showing time as if hwclock was set to show utc :shock:. After running hwclock --hctosys --localtime time is back on track ... :).

Correct me if I'm stressing the possible number of partitions in a HDD-drive over the top here (made them in a different pup, other linuxes allow 24 of them), but I cannot get lupu's HotPup/Pmount to show my sda16 (not even after mknod:ing the appropriate missing /dev/sda16), (can mount it manually, though, and it shows in GParted) :?.

Other than the above, A nice pup that I have the highest expectations for :).

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

playdayz

#422 Post by playdayz »

It could happen. There was a bug in Abiword--made it crash when choosing "print to a file." I consider that a showstopper. Luckily I was just able to compile Abiword 2.8.4 and it runs nicely and doesn't have the bug. If that holds up it would be great, both to have 2.8.4 and not to have the bad bug. I would hope not to have any of those showstopper bugs. On the other hand if we can fix 6-8 bugs like that this week--then we would be looking good. So it is day by day for a while here. (Further correspondence with Barry)

As soon as there were 5 or so fixes like that, we should have a new version. if you are aware of a fix that has not been implemented please PM me with it. Thank you.

There is a similar showstopper in Gnumeric, when trying to select a group of cells. That's got to go somehow. I will try compiling but I can't imagine getting that lucky twice in my life.

Nope. Couldn't compile gnumeric. My approach is to ./configure and make and if it works fine. Maybe someone else would have luck. I will luck for other kinds of fixes. Thanks.

<add>It ended up backwards. The compiled Abiword had a worse problem than the one I was trying to solve--Edit _> Preferences crashed every time. However, in messing around it looks like the problem with Gnumeric might be fixed--Format -> cells does not free the screen anymore.

pemasu

#423 Post by pemasu »

Here is discussion about Gnumeric and succesful compiling reports in BK`s blog.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01521

James C

#424 Post by James C »

I've been impressed with how well Youtube videos are playing in Firefox in 112. Totally smooth playback with no jerking or shuddering.....and this is on a 733 mhz P3. :)

These slower processors have some trouble w/ streaming video but 112 is doing great.....

8-bit

cups pdf

#425 Post by 8-bit »

lupu-112.
Installed frugal 1 gig pupsave.
First, opened the test.doc file for abiword.
It failed to show the graphics in displayed text.
I set my xerox printer as default and then the graphics in test.doc were displayed.
I then tried printing to the cups pdf printer from abiword.
A box popped up and I accepted the default of root directory and edited the filename that was given as it had spaces in it.
I then said print.
It showed as being printed, and Cups Manage Printers /jobs showed all jobs completed.
But no pdf file was created.

gjuhasz

Performance issues

#426 Post by gjuhasz »

I tested the performance of some puppies in two ways.

A) Flash files

There is a nice small example file that helps evaluating video performance:

/usr/share/examples/vectorimages/omelette.swf

Its default duration is five seconds. I compared different Puppies by loop playing this file (full-screen, high quality, Seamonkey 1.1.18), and measuring the cycle time.

1. Intel Core2 Duo Cpu E6550 @ 2.33GHz, Win XP + VMware 256 MB memory configured - all puppies play the cycle in five seconds.

2. Toshiba Tecra 8000, PII, NeoMagic 256AV chipset, 256 MB memory. frugal install

a) Puppy 421, 431 official: 15 seconds
b) Wary 020 (openbox) : 15 seconds
c) Wary 020 (with jwm 490 pet): 14 seconds
d) Lupu-112: 41 seconds

It is very strange. It seems that Lupu (or Xorg 7.4?) cannot use the neomagic driver for my Tecra or misconfigures it.

Playing swf under different browsers result more or less jerkiness. However, omelette.swf is not the best medium to compare with. I use the funny swf file at

http://egyszervolt.hu/anim/matyas-rulez.html

Comparing browsers using matyas-rulez.swf shows that seamonkey (both 1.1.18 and 2.04) plays much smoother than iron/chromium/opera. The difference is relevant even in case of better hardware.

B) Streaming video

It is interesting that the quality of the streaming video is nearly equivalent for all puppies.
Mplayer begins with jerky picture and sound async issues but the quality establishes after a few seconds.
Gxine plays well from the beginning. Note that Gxine consumes much more system resources (open rxvt and run "top")
Last edited by gjuhasz on Tue 27 Apr 2010, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#427 Post by nooby »

installed 112 frugally on ntfs

vido works good. screen graphics good
No split up of graphics when I do scrolling and streaming videos works good no jerk or choppy delay effects. which the olders lupu lucids had.

But it fail to do streaming radio so something are set up different.
Maybe it uses other codecs or built in plug ins are lacking?

The country was less convenient. I had to do it twice for it to take the åäö chars
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pa_mcclamrock

#428 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

playdayz wrote:The compiled Abiword had a worse problem than the one I was trying to solve . . .
Here's a suggestion that I'm pretty sure won't be accepted, but I think it's a good one anyway: dump AbiWord in favor of TextMaker 2002 (ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... 2_full.pet), which is smaller and also works better. The only disadvantage I can see is that it doesn't appeal to free-software fanatics, since you don't get to see the source code. I think there may also be a later version of the SoftMaker Office suite that's now free as in beer though not as in speech, but it would be considerably bigger and not such a good fit for Puppy.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

cifa

#429 Post by cifa »

playdayz wrote: cifa, You have made the bug report. i hope someone else has an idea. I have been listening to gxine all day while I edited and built and rebuilt Lucid Puppy. It makes sense to me that you are right about the video card. I hope now that the video is in good shape that we can spend more time on this bug and others like it. Thanks. BTW, pemasu says that gnome-mplayer can work so we hope to have that as an option. Lxmusic might work for you for audio--it's in QuickPet.. Also, there is another gui for xine called xine-ui--it might work where gxine fails. You could find it in packages.ubuntu.conm but it has dependencies--or you could wait and someone will make it.
thanks playdayz - credit to you & the team for making this possible.
have dlownloaded lupu-112 and will give it a run.
I will feedback any developments.

gerry

#430 Post by gerry »

Lupu 112 on Acer Aspire One, live usb.

1- sda1 icon lies on quickpet icon.

2- Symlink from /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb to /opt/samba/bin/smbspool
is still missing. This is needed to set up a printer connected to a networked Windows computer. It gives you the "Windows printer via Samba" option in Cups.

3- Pnethood still does not work. When I scan, it finds the Windows computer, but says there are no shares. I put in my Windows password and username, and rescan, then it reports "No servers found".
All subsequent rescans get the same answer, even after a reboot (creating a save file on the way).

gerry

playdayz

#431 Post by playdayz »

fixing the font display,
Pa, what? I missed it. i thought the fonts were doing OK. Thanks.

playdayz

#432 Post by playdayz »

Its default duration is five seconds. I compared different Puppies by loop playing this file (full-screen, high quality, Seamonkey 1.1.1, and measuring the cycle time.

1. Intel Core2 Duo Cpu E6550 @ 2.33GHz, Win XP + VMware 256 MB memory configured - all puppies play the cycle in five seconds.

2. Toshiba Tecra 8000, PII, NeoMagic 256AV chipset, 256 MB memory. frugal install

ghuhaz, I ma not sure what you mean by cycle time; what I see is Free Omelette popping up every 10 seconds or so interspersed with the sun mmoving acroos the sky and an egg turning into an omelette.

playdayz

#433 Post by playdayz »

Its default duration is five seconds. I compared different Puppies by loop playing this file (full-screen, high quality, Seamonkey 1.1.1, and measuring the cycle time.

ghuhaz, I am not sure what you mean by cycle time; what I see is Free Omelette popping up every 5 seconds or so interspersed with the sun moving across the sky and an egg turning into an omelette.

playdayz

#434 Post by playdayz »

Features of Lucid Puppy 5.0
* Built with Puppys latest unique Woof build system
* Puppy core scripts, recognition and Puppy speed
* Puppy screen layout and traditional updated Puppy apps
* Initial load now goes straight to Desktop
* Use small Puppy Browser or choose a major Browser
* Easy choice of major software with EasyPet
* One button update
* Ubuntu Lucid Lynx binary compatibility

Thanks Lobster. The graphics are all dri/glx - I am not sure how to say that understandably, but it should result in better speed and stability

8-bit

#435 Post by 8-bit »

When I access youtube from my browser, Seamonkey, the youtube videos play fine unless I go full screen using their full screen selector.
When I do that, the videos seem like they are playing in slow motion.
And with a dual core processor and 3 gigs of ram, that should not happen. (Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE Graphics)

glxgears works and I get a respectable frame rate from it.

don570

yudit 2.9.2

#436 Post by don570 »

to playdayz
I've noticed something unusual.
I installed yudit 2.9.2 (a text editor for foreign languages) which I got from
http://www.yudit.org/
The application launched as I can see in Process viewer
but application window doesn't form on screen.
The strange thing is that when I choose 'reboot', the app
dœs show for a split second as if it’s hiding behind all the other windows.
The app does work properly in other versions of Puppy linux, just
not in Lucid Puppy
If you have time ?? could you look into this behaviour?
I made a pet and it's available at http://www.esnips.com/web/lupu

playdayz

#437 Post by playdayz »

I then tried printing to the cups pdf printer from abiword.
A box popped up and I accepted the default of root directory and edited the filename that was given as it had spaces in it.
I then said print.
It showed as being printed, and Cups Manage Printers /jobs showed all jobs completed.
But no pdf file was created.
Me too 8-bit. I worked on it yesterday for a while but no improvement.

However, in version 113 Abiword has an option to Print to a File and it prints a pdf file.

playdayz

#438 Post by playdayz »

2- Symlink from /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb to /opt/samba/bin/smbspool
is still missing. This is needed to set up a printer connected to a networked Windows computer. It gives you the "Windows printer via Samba" option in Cups.
Sorry gerry, I will do it right now for 114.

did it

BTW gerry, do you have any ideas. I never use pnethood and I am clueless.

Does anyone know about Pnethood?

cifa

#439 Post by cifa »

cifa wrote: I will feedback any developments.
spent good part of the day trying to get video going. in short - i didn't.
gxine not working in 012
tried gnome-mplayer - and while that seem to install OK (a GUI appeared) - it was missing the libdirectfb-1.0.so.0 (console told me). anyway - didn't play the vid
tried VLC after searching the forums - but long story short - crashed in full screen (didnt get to see the vid)
i ran gxine in console and it sputtered 'AFD changed from -2 to -1' before all freeze/crash.
i couldn't find xine-ui in the package manager - the one i downloaded via packages.ubuntu.com (xine-ui_0.99.5+cvs20070914-2.1_i386) failed to launch
lxmusic works great.

it would be great if someone could compile ?xine-ui/mplayer for me/other users to see if that works

thanks in advance

pa_mcclamrock

#440 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Comments on Lucid Puppy 113, excluding font display:

Ran puppy pfix=ram, backed up lupusave.3fs to safe location. First Run Configuration is markedly improved by excising all reference to xrandr. :) My only remaining suggestion about that is pretty nit-picky. Instead of "If the graphics are bad," etc., you might want to say "If you need to change the graphic display, the Intel driver, or the country or keyboard [not capitalized, not spelled "keybaord"], then you will need to exit," etc. The original video resolution I got was not bad, it just wasn't what I wanted.

No progress on drive icon misalignment problem. HD icons still too low until I moved them up; CD icon still too far left. I'm not sure why this hasn't been solved here, since it was already solved before 4.3.1 came out!

Rebooted with no pfix=ram, using lupusave.3fs from 112. No progress on retaining IceWM as window manager instead of reverting to JWM. Some progress on retaining custom desktop icon arrangement, but not enough.

What I got this time was, for the most part, both sets of icons--the ones from my lupusave.3fs and the ones from the 113 main file. This made it much easier to restore my custom arrangement; almost all I had to do was to dump the ones from the main file and keep the ones from lupusave. :) But that wasn't all I had to do, because I found that /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and defaulttexteditor reverted to the ones from the main file, not lupusave. On the other hand, defaultwordprocessor and defaultpaint were retained from lupusave. (I don't quite understand this!) Surely there must be a way to keep the icons and "default" scripts from the main file from barging in when you've already got the ones you want in lupusave.

As for the font display: I've taken a couple of screenshots to illustrate what I mean, and now I'm going to go back to 4.3.1 to take a couple to compare. (Before I do that, I'm sending this message with Firefox 3.6.3 in 113--notable improvement over Firefox 2.0.0.7 in 4.3.1, especially in the opinion of my daughter who likes Facebook chat!)
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds