Quirky 1.2 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
mawebb88

pNethood

#61 Post by mawebb88 »

Unfortunately pNethood is still broken in my tests with my Samba LANDisk.

I reported on Barry's blog the same problem with Q112.

The main problem for me is after it finds shares and mounts them, Rox Filer is does not show the files (just a mounted unnamed folder). If I navigate to the mount point and open a terminal, "ls" shows the correct files and sub-folders.

Another problem is that the "Refresh" and "Re-Scan Network" butttons appear to no longer work. So I have to quit and launch the app to do a re-scan.

Needless to say it worked perfectly on 431 (and 412) and is the main reason I use Puppy. If there is anything I can do to track down the problem please let me know.

(nb lameSMBExplorer is too unreliable in my tests in other Puppiy's)

Rgds Mike

rcrsn51

Re: pNethood

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

mawebb88 wrote:The main problem for me is after it finds shares and mounts them, Rox Filer is does not show the files (just a mounted unnamed folder). If I navigate to the mount point and open a terminal, "ls" shows the correct files and sub-folders.
Does clicking the ROX Rescan button have any effect?

mawebb88

Re: pNethood

#63 Post by mawebb88 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
mawebb88 wrote:The main problem for me is after it finds shares and mounts them, Rox Filer is does not show the files (just a mounted unnamed folder). If I navigate to the mount point and open a terminal, "ls" shows the correct files and sub-folders.
Does clicking the ROX Rescan button have any effect?
@rcrsn51
Yes it does! It show the files/sub-folders. If I un-mount and re-mount (uing the PNethhod buttons) the files are mostly instantly there. But it seems somewhat random because if I click on a folder (within the mounted folder) it sometimes show a mounted (unnamed) folder icon which on Rox refresh show the files. So is there a clue as to how to fix it?

(Nb there is still the other problem of the 2 Pnethood buttons being inoperative)

Rgds Mike

Proudog

#64 Post by Proudog »

rcrsn51 wrote:[/code]
What video driver are you using?.
radeon, in Quirky this driver don't go good with 16 bit depth, and mode 1152x864 res. In 4.3.1 both are OK.

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

Interesting. My non-traytemp machine also has a Radeon video card. It doesn't matter if I use Xorg or Vesa.

bigpup

Youtube video in Seamonkey

#66 Post by bigpup »

When playing a video on youtube in Seamonkey, Flash player is used. When right click in the Flash player window, select settings, the settings screen appears. I cannot change any settings or close this settings screen. Have to close Seamonkey and restart Seamonkey to get this settings screen to close.

On the issue of jerky video from the INTERNET do not forget the basics of streaming video:
What is the video quality-360p, 480p, 720p... ?
What is your download speed?
What video driver are you using?
How powerful is your video card?
What video player are you using?
What are the players settings?

jemimah

Re: Youtube video in Seamonkey

#67 Post by jemimah »

bigpup wrote:When playing a video on youtube in Seamonkey, Flash player is used. When right click in the Flash player window, select settings, the settings screen appears. I cannot change any settings or close this settings screen. Have to close Seamonkey and restart Seamonkey to get this settings screen to close.
I've had this problem on every version of puppy and every version of flash and every browser I've ever tried. If there's a fix, I'd love to know what it is.

aarf

#68 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:
bigpup wrote:When playing a video on youtube in Seamonkey, Flash player is used. When right click in the Flash player window, select settings, the settings screen appears. I cannot change any settings or close this settings screen. Have to close Seamonkey and restart Seamonkey to get this settings screen to close.
I've had this problem on every version of puppy and every version of flash and every browser I've ever tried. If there's a fix, I'd love to know what it is.
just closing the tab works in opera10.60-6347 in puppeeerc4 using the chrome flashplugin. no need to restart. cant change the settings though..

DaveS

#69 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:
Ditto. I always figured it was just another Flash bug.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

chrismt

TimeZone Problem

#70 Post by chrismt »

I am getting this wierd problem in the past few puppies i have tried including Quirky 1.2 and Lucid

I have selected +4 GMT but when I hover my mouse pointer over the time I see it as -4

bigpup

#71 Post by bigpup »

jemimah wrote:
According to Adobe's web site this is how you change settings for Flash player now.

How do I get to the Settings Manager?

The Settings Manager is a special control panel that runs on your local computer but is displayed within and accessed from the Adobe website. Adobe does not have access to the settings that you see in the Settings Manager or to personal information on your computer.

Click the links below to open the specific Settings Manager panel that you want. The Settings Manager that you see on the page is not an image; it is the actual Settings Manager. To change your settings, click the tabs to see different panels, then click the options in the Settings Manager panels that you see on the web page.

WEB SITE:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... nager.html

drblock2

#72 Post by drblock2 »

Could you PM me a copy of the script so I can test it myself?

Also, try putting a "sleep x" command at the start of the script in case there is some race situation going on that stops the script.
Here's the entire script. Might be of interest to fellow beep-haters:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

# Turn off beep
xset b off

#r.b. 10 October 2009
It has been doing me loyal service since 10 October 2009, but does not run in Quirky 1X.

I think I have at least localized the problem:

1. Adding sleep 10 does not solve the problem.
2. Rewriting as a bash script: #!/bin/bash makes no difference.
3. I wrote a one-liner containing urxvt that simply opens a console and tried placing it in Startup. Works fine both as shell script and bash script.

Conclusion: Startup works as expected, but for some reason xset commands cannot be launched from scripts located there at boot time - although the very same scripts can be successfully invoked from the command line after booting.

aarf

#73 Post by aarf »

bigpup wrote:

According to Adobe's web site this is how you change settings for Flash player now.

How do I get to the Settings Manager?

The Settings Manager is a special control panel that runs on your local computer but is displayed within and accessed from the Adobe website. Adobe does not have access to the settings that you see in the Settings Manager or to personal information on your computer.

Click the links below to open the specific Settings Manager panel that you want. The Settings Manager that you see on the page is not an image; it is the actual Settings Manager. To change your settings, click the tabs to see different panels, then click the options in the Settings Manager panels that you see on the web page.

WEB SITE:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... nager.html
note the difference at http://macromedia.com/support/documenta ... ger03.html to your link with the www. at
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger03.html

DaveS

#74 Post by DaveS »

Unable to create a bootable USB install from Qret 1.2. On investigation, extlinux.sys was not created. Extlinux.conf WAS there. Also, installer wrongly identified ext3 filesystem as ext4.
Workaround was to create bootable USB drive with 4.3.1, delete everything except extlinux.sys and extlinux.conf, then copy over the two .sfs files, Initrd.gz, and vmlinuz from my Qret hard drive folder.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gjuhasz

#75 Post by gjuhasz »

jemimah wrote:
Just hit F11 to get full-screen. In this mode, you can access the controls including Close. When closing the Settings panel, your new settings are saved. Then you can return to normal view with F11. I suggest playing a local swf file (e.g., /usr/share/examples/vectorimages/omelette.swf) during modifying flash settings.

CHLee

Re: Please apply shinobar's shell script to fix a bug in JWM

#76 Post by CHLee »

[quote="BarryK"][quote="tatemono"]After adding a suitable unicode TTF file to Quirky, SeaMonkey displays unicode characters. However, it does not display unicode characters in its title bar. For example, if you visit [url]http://map.yahoo.co.jp/[/url], you cannot see the last 2 characters of "Yahoo!地図" displayed in title bar of SeaMonkey even if Android's TTF is added to the system.

In fact, this problem was solved by shinobar 11 months ago. Please apply his shell script, whose URL is [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/jwm_font_repair.sh[/url], to fix a bug in JWM's setting causing this problem.[/quote]

No, shinobar's script breaks JWM.

The script changes all entries like "DejVu Sans-12" to "DejaVu Sans 12". However, I found long ago that doing that breaks JWM.

If you modify /root/.jwm/jwm-theme:

[code]<WindowStyle>
<Font>DejaVu Sans-14</Font>[/code]

...the title gets bigger, as expected. However, if you replace the '-' with a space, JWM ignores the size parameter, just uses the system default size, which is 12.

This is really a bug in JWM, it should be raised with the developer.[/quote]

I think it is Xft Fonts setting, so it should have a '-' between "font family" and "font size".
Last night I discover some fonts could display(replace with) right characters, some fonts not. Then I tested all puppy internal fonts, below was the result:
1. Display OK fonts:
Nimbus Sans L Condensed
Nimbus Sans L Medium
Nimbus Sans L Bold
Monospace
Sans
Serif
URW Chancery L Medium Italic
2. Display not OK fonts:
Courier
cursor
DejaVu Sans
Dingbats
Fixed
Helvetica
Nimbus Mono L
Nimbus Roman No9 L
Standard Symbols L

The attached picture was the display use
[code]<Font>DejaVu Sans-12</Font>[/code]
and
[code]<Font>Sans-12</Font>[/code].

I hope BarryK could changed the fonts from DejaVu Sans to Sans, both are similar but Sans could display(replace) right characters.
If you use non-English unicode fonts, please feedback to BarryK that this sitting working for you or not. Thanks !
ChiHang

Remark:
To testing it, you must install you fonts first. Also, you need setting your locale with utf8. After changed the font name in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme, please restart jwm. You will see the result immediate.
Refference: My locale setting is zh_HK.utf8
Attachments
ChangeBeforeAfter.png
(17.86 KiB) Downloaded 1815 times

boscobearbank

#77 Post by boscobearbank »

Just downloaded Quirky and installed on a USB flash drive. This is one fast Puppy!

Only one quirk so far - my monitor doesn't properly report its EDID, so even though I can select 1680x1050 (the monitor's native resolution) in the xorgwizard, the display comes up 1024x768 which can't be scaled any higher with xrandr. Adding a DisplaySize line and a modeline to xorg.conf fixed that problem.

Will continue to investigate
Bosco Bearbank

bigpup

#78 Post by bigpup »

gjuhasz wrote:
jemimah wrote:
Just hit F11 to get full-screen. In this mode, you can access the controls including Close. When closing the Settings panel, your new settings are saved. Then you can return to normal view with F11. I suggest playing a local swf file (e.g., /usr/share/examples/vectorimages/omelette.swf) during modifying flash settings.
Thanks, that worked, but why? I want to know, so I found this info.

Settings Manager not responsive on pages that contain scroll bars [Flash Player Linux]

The user interface of the Flash Player settings manager cannot be selected when the browser window has a scroll bar visible. This issue only affects Flash Player for Linux.
Solution

This is a purposeful security-related design limitation of Flash Player for Linux.
Additional information

The simplest solution is to enlarge the browser window to be larger than the Flash content's stage size (effectively disabling the browser window's scroll bars).

If this is not possible, many of the Flash Player settings can be managed from the hosted Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager page.

Some items, such as camera and microphone settings, are only available via the context-sensitive Settings Manager (which you see when right-clicking or control-clicking Flash Player content). In this case you'll need to either enlarge the browser window, or navigate to a page containing a smaller SWF and select the Settings Manager from that SWF.
Web Site
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/525/cpsid_52526.html

Abnormalter

Updating Quirky Retro 1.12 RC to Quirky Retro 1.20

#79 Post by Abnormalter »

After updating it Free Maplet worked not (maplet who is locked on Dock). Recomment Freemaplet record in jwmrc-tray (as freememappletshell or freememapplet) does not resolved this problem because in the Dock the FM has emty square only, but indicate datas of the Free Memory worked not too (see screemshot).
Attachments
freemaplet-worked-not!.png
Free Maplet worked not!
(4.76 KiB) Downloaded 1773 times
Last edited by Abnormalter on Tue 08 Jun 2010, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#80 Post by jemimah »

bigpup wrote: This is a purposeful security-related design limitation of Flash Player for Linux.
It sure be nice if they popped up a dialog explaining that instead of effectively crashing your browser. :(