introducing myself

Booting, installing, newbie
ravenxau

introducing myself

#1 Post by ravenxau »

Hi everyone. My name is Matt - I'm a new linux user.
I decided on puppy as I have an old Compac presario 1685 laptop with 64 meg of RAM
that I wanted to make use of. Puppy 2.16 works great on it. The ethernet card modem
was a breeze to set up. I have upgraded Dillo and installed the NetSurf browser so I
can access facebook using m.facebook.com and chat using m.ebuddy.com

for games I have Dosbox 0.6 for playing Wolfenstein 3d. I am looking forward to getting
lots of use out of a laptop that had been dormant in a cupboard for 3 years.

antiloquax

#2 Post by antiloquax »

Welcome to the forum, ravenxau.
:D
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Welcome. Why don't you tell us how you installed Puppy in your low-RAM laptop? For instance, did you format and partition the hard disk drive?

sfeeley

#4 Post by sfeeley »

for giggles you might try putting 2.14x classic (an updated version of 2.14) or Akita on it--just to see if you can wring a bit more of it.

But, it may be that you have already found your sweetspot-- if so, congrats.

And please do post any tips you may have in achieving that set up.

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

I also would like to know the steps you used.
I have a Compaq laptop with 192 megs of ram that I installed Puppy lupu 520 on to be able to use a specific linux application.
I would have liked to use an earlier version of Puppy, but the support files for the application were too early.
I would have had to find the source code for the library files needed and recompile them.
But the problem there is that Puppy is so dependent on specific versions of support files that a change to a later version of the support file can break Puppy big time.
I found that out trying to update a few library files compiling them for the early Puppy.
I guess though that I will have to try Tux's updated Puppy and see if it works with the application.
I have to compile the application using the qt library files and qt developer package also.
But both have to be later versions as well as some GL library files.

ravenxau

#6 Post by ravenxau »

Installation was quite simple:-
- Booted from the live CD
- partitioned the HDD with a 64meg swapfile and the remaining space to ext2
- installed NetSurf browser from a pet/pup file
- upgraded Dillo from a pet/pup file
- used the network wizard to enable the PCMIA ethernet card
- installed Dosbox 0.63 from a pet/pup file
- at first shutdown, saved changes to a 256meg save file

I have tried frugal/full installs, but booting form the CD works fine for me.

I hope this helps anybody wishing to do the same thing.

ravenxau

#7 Post by ravenxau »

8-bit wrote:I also would like to know the steps you used.
I have a Compaq laptop with 192 megs of ram that I installed Puppy lupu 520 on to be able to use a specific linux application.
I would have liked to use an earlier version of Puppy, but the support files for the application were too early.
I would have had to find the source code for the library files needed and recompile them.
But the problem there is that Puppy is so dependent on specific versions of support files that a change to a later version of the support file can break Puppy big time.
I found that out trying to update a few library files compiling them for the early Puppy.
I guess though that I will have to try Tux's updated Puppy and see if it works with the application.
I have to compile the application using the qt library files and qt developer package also.
But both have to be later versions as well as some GL library files.
Try the 2.16_seamonkey_full drivers version. I have had it work well on a number of systems

shoutcrown

Welcome!

#8 Post by shoutcrown »

Hi everyone. My name is Matt - I'm a new linux user
Welcome! I think you will find enough support! This forum is excellent!

Best wishes.. bye