Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Jul 2014, 04:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Tcl/Tk 8.6
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
NeroVance

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 14:44    Post subject:  Tcl/Tk 8.6  

I whipped up a few packages for Tcl and Tk version 8.6.0, since I like to work in Tcl, and this does have a multitude of new features, including bulit-in OO for the first time, and a database package and the like included.

This is kinda untested, but I compiled it on Precise Puppy, and therefore should work on it as such.

Tcl 8.6 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1GBBc2IRn8CYTcyRUlXalY2Y3M/edit?usp=sharing
Tk 8.6 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1GBBc2IRn8CWWFZcFJHWmRjNlk/edit?usp=sharing

These packages however do refer to files known as "tclsh8.6" and "wish8.6" rather than just tclsh or wish, there may be an additional ".0" at the end of each of these, but I can't remember. Hence keep this in mind, and if it works out well in testing, feel free to symlink these to your tclsh and wish.

Last edited by NeroVance on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 20:25; edited 1 time in total
NeroVance

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2013, 20:23    Post subject:  

And for the Development and Documentation Packages

Tcl 8.6 DEV: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1GBBc2IRn8CQTUwOE9nTGdzaUE/edit?usp=sharing
Tcl 8.6 DOC: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1GBBc2IRn8CTDl1Y19LNHowZjA/edit?usp=sharing
Tk 8.6 DEV: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1GBBc2IRn8CQkp1eVBHZWFOTWc/edit?usp=sharing
Tk 8.6 DOC: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1GBBc2IRn8CMzJaZ3hFUm1aZ1k/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully these dotpets will be of service for puppians like me, who use Tcl/Tk for their share of Puppy work, and to those who may want to incorporate the newest Tcl into Puppy.
thunor

Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 11:27    Post subject:  

I've compiled tcl and tk 8.6.0 into an sfs and instead of creating another Tcl/Tk 8.6 thread I'll append my links to yours if that's OK.

This I compiled on slacko55 for i686:
https://files.myopera.com/thunor/slacko55/tcltk-8.6.0-i686.sfs

md5 is 640f655407276ecc8b521f59036d79a5

Place the sfs into your Puppy installation folder and then run Setup-->SFS-Load on-the-fly from the Puppy menu.

I've been using it with tkdiff and tkgames for a while now. I did notice that slacko55 comes with a /usr/bin/tclsh symlink to /usr/bin/jimsh which I haven't touched so it's up to you if you want to symlink /usr/bin/tclsh to /usr/bin/tclsh8.6 instead. A /usr/bin/wish symlink to /usr/bin/wish8.6 I have included as part of the sfs.

Regards,
Thunor
NeroVance

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 13:10    Post subject:  

thunor wrote:
I've compiled tcl and tk 8.6.0 into an sfs and instead of creating another Tcl/Tk 8.6 thread I'll append my links to yours if that's OK.

Place the sfs into your Puppy installation folder and then run Setup-->SFS-Load on-the-fly from the Puppy menu.

I've been using it with tkdiff and tkgames for a while now. I did notice that slacko55 comes with a /usr/bin/tclsh symlink to /usr/bin/jimsh which I haven't touched so it's up to you if you want to symlink /usr/bin/tclsh to /usr/bin/tclsh8.6 instead. A /usr/bin/wish symlink to /usr/bin/wish8.6 I have included as part of the sfs.

Regards,
Thunor

Sweet. A Tcl/Tk SFS can be good.
I personally like packages, more like ol' Linux eh?
jpeps

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 14:20    Post subject:  

thunor wrote:

Regards,
Thunor

I see the wish link included, but it's not being seen in the loaded file system.
thunor

Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 15:25    Post subject:  

jpeps wrote:
I see the wish link included, but it's not being seen in the loaded file system.

I created it like this:
Code:
For both tcl8.6.0 and tk8.6.0:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make DESTDIR=/tmp/tcltk-8.6.0-i686 install

ln -rs /tmp/tcltk-8.6.0-i686/usr/bin/wish8.6 /tmp/tcltk-8.6.0-i686/usr/bin/wish
mksquashfs /tmp/tcltk-8.6.0-i686 /tmp/tcltk-8.6.0-i686.sfs -noappend

as recommended by the Puppy Linux Wiki.
jpeps

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 17:03    Post subject:  

The file is in initrd, but doesn't load to /usr/bin. I've had similar problems with links before, and solved it by copying the target file first to /usr/bin, and then creating the link to it in the build directory.

edit: I tried that, with similar results. Must be just SFS's screwing up once again.
NeroVance

PostPosted: Thu 28 Mar 2013, 18:02    Post subject:  

jpeps wrote:
The file is in initrd, but doesn't load to /usr/bin. I've had similar problems with links before, and solved it by copying the target file first to /usr/bin, and then creating the link to it in the build directory.

edit: I tried that, with similar results. Must be just SFS's screwing up once again.

Who knows.
This plus stuff involving loading SFSs is why I do my work mostly in packaging.

I may think about methods to build packages that automatically backup what files they would replace, that way if one does install new software that has upgrade libraries that rely on it, and you don't want it anymore, you could still safely remove it.

Like miniature restore points. There could be a couple complications with that, but if a package has gone and done another update, then perhaps have a system for filing versions by reference and package...

I should write something about this... This could be very useful for puppies to use perchance.
jpeps

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2013, 04:02    Post subject:  

After a few times installing, uninstalling, reinstalling...the link showed up and all looked well until I noticed other SFS's stopped working. I uninstalled tcltk and they worked again. Think I'll stick with it as a pet.
NeroVance

PostPosted: Sat 30 Mar 2013, 05:55    Post subject:  

jpeps wrote:
After a few times installing, uninstalling, reinstalling...the link showed up and all looked well until I noticed other SFS's stopped working. I uninstalled tcltk and they worked again. Think I'll stick with it as a pet.

Eh! Very Happy
Also, I'm currently working on a thing for puppy that will allow you to have an IRIX look. I just need to fix a couple things, and get XDG menu creation working, and it should be swell.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Jump to: