Trouble installing Adobe Reader in Fatdog64 521

Using applications, configuring, problems
Eathray

#21 Post by Eathray »

npierce wrote:Any of that sounds OK.

Or you could try posting in the general Fatdog64-521 thread (Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)). That would seem to be an appropriate place to ask about how Fatdog64-521 handles 32-bit applications. No one has posted there for over a year, but people may still be watching it.

Wish I knew myself. Anyone reading this thread have any idea?
Yah, that's the deal is that the 521 thread is very old.

I sent jamesbond a note and asked him if it would be okay to place 1 post in the current fatdog thread requesting help here. I don't want to bring up 521 in the thread for 621-final unless they would be okay with just a one post request for help over here. I'm sure that's where the fatdog folks are... it's a very active thread.

Eathray

chapchap70

Not exactly what you're looking for but maybe this will work

#22 Post by chapchap70 »

Hi Earthray,

I am using Fatdog 621 as my main OS and have experienced some of the same issues regarding 32 bit aps not working and not knowing where the 32 bit missing files are supposed to go. I don't know enough to help you to get the Acrobat reader working on Fatdog

Since you have Wine running, Foxit reader might be an alternative to try and is more advanced than the Linux PDF readers. Foxit has things like form filler where I was able to fill in my 1040 one year for my taxes. Hopefully, this will suffice for what your kiddo needs.

Unfortunately, the Linux version is old and doesn't have the features. If you have 5 minutes and want to try to download the Windows version, here is the link.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

I had version 5.3 but just uninstalled it and downloaded the new version. I just clicked on the file and Wine installed it and I was able to open it up.

Jamesbond is good and thorough at answering questions when he gets to them but hopefully this helps in the meantime.

Eathray

#23 Post by Eathray »

Hi Chap,

Thanks for the reply...

I'm glad I'm not the only one here. Kind of seems like the community could really use a solution to Adobe...

Yah, thanks for mentioning Foxit. I have seen it, but... I have been a little hesitant to try it because if the regular Adobe Reader is limited in Wine (as in, doesn't always render quite right, doesn't always have a handle on security components), how well will a third party do? Yah, I know, all I can do is try it out...

I am almost certain I have seen a .pet or .sfs of Foxit, but I can't remember where... I will have to go look... I would really like to have a native version rather than Wine, but I do have a few WinDoze programs Kiddo must use for school, and fortunately they all work okay.

Thanks again... I'll look into it.

Eathray

chapchap70

#24 Post by chapchap70 »

There are Foxit pets but they are for older versions which doesn't have the newer features. There are no newer native linux versions. That is why I tried Foxit with Wine.

I haven't used Adobe in years because it would crash when I used to use it on Windows more often and it was slow. Foxit is less bloated and from what I can tell, does all the stuff Adobe does.

chapchap70

#25 Post by chapchap70 »

Somebody wrote an article on how to install Adobe Reader for 64 bit Debian Squeeze. I tried it but got the same AsErrException error. Problem for me is I don't know how to install the two libs that the author lists. The automatic method didn't seem to work.

http://www.soslug.org/wiki/install_adob ... eze_64_bit

Hopefully, this is useful if someone can figure out how to install the libs.

The file is here.
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/un ... 9.5.5/enu/

npierce

#26 Post by npierce »

chapchap70,

Thanks for the link to the HOWTO. That lead me to some libraries in the Debian repository that might work with Fatdog64.

Eathray and chapchap7,

Before trying out some libraries, I would like to verify the location of the library that acroread is choking on. I'm guessing that it is /usr/lib/gconv/UTF-16.so, but, to be sure, it would be helpful if one or both of you would post the output from this command:

Code: Select all

strace acroread 2>&1 | grep -B22 ASErrException | grep open

chapchap70

#27 Post by chapchap70 »

npierce wrote:chapchap70,

Eathray and chapchap7,

Before trying out some libraries, I would like to verify the location of the library that acroread is choking on. I'm guessing that it is /usr/lib/gconv/UTF-16.so, but, to be sure, it would be helpful if one or both of you would post the output from this command:

strace acroread 2>&1 | grep -B22 ASErrException | grep open

I just got the number sign (#)... nothing.

I went there with the file manager and clicked "properties". This is what I got:
ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.16, stripped

Eathray

#28 Post by Eathray »

Oooooh...!!!

I have responses! :D

Okay, I'm working, but when I get done tonight I'll get into this.

Thanks for coming back, guys.

Eathray

chapchap70

#29 Post by chapchap70 »

npierce wrote:The filenames in my /usr/lib/gconv/ directory are all the same as those in your usr/lib/gconv/ directory. (And you have one additional file: ISO8859-9E.so)

To see if they are 32-bit, enter this command:

file /usr/lib/gconv/UTF-16.so
If they are 32-bit, then your problem likely lies elsewhere.

If they are not 32-bit, then you have to install the 32-bit versions in the appropriate location for FatDog to find them when running 32-bit applications. I don't know where you would need to put them, but, of course, you don't want to overwrite the 64-bit versions.

Why wouldn't we get a "wrong ELF CLass" error?

Another note; the UTF-16.sol is also located in my /usr/lib32/gconv directory. I'm going to unload my 32 bit sfs (which I believe puts stuff in lib32) to see if I get a wrong ELF class error.

chapchap70

#30 Post by chapchap70 »

From my previous post; probably not surprising to people who know whats what, I got this error when I unloaded my 32bit SFS.

# acroread
/usr/bin/acroread: line 22: /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: No such file or directory
When I moved the gconv directory out of lib, (and lib64 automagically) so only the 32bit gconv directory remained, I still got the AsErrException error.

http://randombio.com/linuxsetup101.html

I am thinking this problem has nothing to do with Fatdog, Lighthouse, or anything in the gconv directory. The above link is from 2008. (See Other Problems #6) I don't know where to go to find out which libs are required.

Eathray, Did you try Foxit with Wine? I believe it would be more secure in Wine than Acrobat would be natively. Too bad the latest native Foxit Linux version is <2 when the Windows version is >6.

npierce

#31 Post by npierce »

chapchap70 wrote:I just got the number sign (#)... nothing.
Hmmm. Maybe try the command without the grep stuff. (Perhaps Fatdog doesn't have strace.):

strace acroread
I don't have a 64-bit Puppy, but if I replace the gconv libraries on my 32-bit Puppy (racy 5.2.2), I get the same error that you guys get. When I run the above command, the final dozen lines of the output are:

open("/usr/lib/gconv/UTF-16.so", O_RDONLY) = 3
read(3, "\177ELF\2\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0>\0\1\0\0\0\360\274\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512
close(3)                                = 0
futex(0xb5ca4ba8, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 2147483647) = 0
write(2, "terminate called after throwing "..., 48terminate called after throwing an instance of ') = 48
write(2, "ASErrException", 14ASErrException)          = 14
write(2, "'\n", 2'
)                      = 2
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ABRT], NULL, 8) = 0
tgkill(11028, 11028, SIGABRT)           = 0
--- SIGABRT (Aborted) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGABRT +++
Aborted
This seems to indicate that it chokes on UTF-16.so. I was hoping to determine if the same is true on Fatdog.
chapchap70 wrote:Why wouldn't we get a "wrong ELF CLass" error?
I don't know. It would be nice if error messages were always helpful.

Thanks for experimenting with this.

jamesbond

#32 Post by jamesbond »

How to get Acroread 9.5.5 for Linux works in FD64 521 (and 621, for that matter).

1. Get 32-bit compatibility library from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/60 ... acko-1.sfs. Yes, it says "600" but it will also work with 521.
2. Edit /usr/bin/start32
3. Add this to the line before the last line (ie, before the "exec" line):

export GCONV_PATH=/usr/lib32/gconv
4. Close and save
5. Install acrobat reader: download the .BIN file, chmod +x the BIN file, and then "start32 ./acrobat-i486.BIN"
6. When installation is done, then "start32 acroread".

(Note that I booted 521 just to test all these ... so I confirmed that it worked on a fresh install).

Enjoy.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

npierce

#33 Post by npierce »

jamesbond,

Thanks! :)

Eathray

#34 Post by Eathray »

Thanks again and thanks jamesbond for jumping in!

Chap,
Yes, I have Foxit running in Wine now. I've only given it a cursory test to see if it could open a .pdf and add text to a document. I have not yet figured out the plugin setup yet to make it the default pdf reader for FF in Wine. Foxit for Linux installed and opened, but no text (can't see 32bit libs), same as Acroread in Linux. It looks like jamesbond has addressed that issue here, so maybe after I try those codes, both will work...?

Thanks jamesbond for the detail. I'm going to give your stuff a go and report back. I do have the 32bit stuff, but it just isn't being seen.

Gotta get to work. Will report back later.

Thanks again to all.

Eathray

chapchap70

#35 Post by chapchap70 »

Thanks Jamesbond :) Even though someone who knows can fix the issue in about 5 minutes, we can still learn something even though we mere mortals try in vain. I'm sure npierce could have figured it out if he had a working Fatdog.

npierce, Strace does work in Fatdog. Does this fix explain why I got no output?

Eathray, I don't think text input was available in the earlier additions of Foxit. I put odds at 60/40 when you get Acroreader working that you will keep the Wine version of Foxit and ditch Acroreader after taking them both out for a spin.

Looking at the Start32 script; How do we determine which paths to export when trying to install a random 32bit ap? (In this case that works with Slacko 5.3.3.)

npierce

#36 Post by npierce »

chapchap70 wrote:Strace does work in Fatdog. Does this fix explain why I got no output?
No. There could be various reasons that there was no output. The command I suggested would only produce output if there was an ASErrException error shortly after attempting to open a file. Perhaps there was another error that time, or perhaps strace spit out a lot of other data between the time the file was opened and the time the ASErrException was thrown. I probably should have suggested the simpler strace acroread command first, but that spits out a ton of unrelated stuff, so I suggested the other command.

Eathray

#37 Post by Eathray »

For whatever reason, the new directions didn't work for me.

I had previously been using the older 64-32 package, but when I switched to the slacky 32-1 package... Wine wouldn't open and Acroread errored out.

I have to go out of town for memorial, so I'll have to come back to this when I get back... mumz-in-law passed away.

When I come back, I'll get into this again.

Continued thanks for the assistance to all.

Eathray

jp734

#38 Post by jp734 »

Has anyone figured this one out? Also need Adobe Reader 9 to work.

jp734

#39 Post by jp734 »

Finally got Adobe Reader 9 working. The file /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is linked to /lib32/ld-2.10.1.so. The AR9 needs ld-2.11.3.so to work. After fixing that, everything worked. So here's what you need:

- /lib/ld-linux.so.2 linked to /lib32/ld-2.11.3.so
- /lib32 folder with all the files
- /usr/lib32/gconv folder with all the files
- fd64-32bit-libx-6.sfs loaded
- and finally to execute the program, you need to precede it with start32

on terminal "start32 acroread" or edit your shortcuts

Hope it works for you too.