[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

fixit

#3 Post by fixit »

You may want to go to a PA group. :-)

Andy

Galbi

#4 Post by Galbi »

fixit wrote:You may want to go to a PA group. :-)

Andy
PA group don't exist because Puppy Linux it's healthy addiction and people don't want to be cured.

:D
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

I dabble in electronics and I have a thriving computer-tinkering hobby. I'm also something of an artist.

Mostly, though, I collect dust :lol:

fixit

#6 Post by fixit »

Good hobbies.

Electronics is one of mine too.

Also like cycling and photography.

English Invader

#7 Post by English Invader »

Retro video games and computers. I have virtually every game console/computer in the mainstream market from the Atari 2600/VCS to the Sega Dreamcast (which I regard as the last true retro system).

I've also had a lot of fun patching up my two XP laptops with Linux. The high end stuff like Mint and Ubuntu is out of reach, but Puppy and LXLE have really given them a new lease of life.

My latest project is to build a PC. I was given an empty tin by a friend and going by the videos and information online it looks a lot easier than I would have thought.

I'm aiming to do it as cheaply as possible. It's my first build and if I'm going to make mistakes it's better to make them with cheap used parts rather than expensive new ones. I found a 160 GB SATA hard drive for £10 at my local CEX and I managed to score an ASUS motherboard with a 2.8 Ghz CPU and 2GB RAM for £50. All I need now is a power supply, graphics card, DVD drive, mouse/keyboard/monitor and I'll have everything I need for the build. It won't be state-of-the-art, but it's bound to give me a lot more Linux options than my laptops.

fixit

#8 Post by fixit »

Galbi wrote:
fixit wrote:You may want to go to a PA group. :-)

Andy
PA group don't exist because Puppy Linux it's healthy addiction and people don't want to be cured.

:D
Touche.

:-)

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

starhawk wrote:I dabble in electronics and I have a thriving computer-tinkering hobby. I'm also something of an artist.

I like to play with OLD computers. I have a few old Atari computers that are around 30 years old and still working. I have made interfaces that allow me to connect a hard drive to them. And we are talking about a computer that had a 1.79mhz 8 bit processor and 64 Kilobytes of ram.
I salvage most of the chips I use from old electronic boards for reuse in my projects.

What types of dust do you collect and how big is your collection? :lol: :wink:

Geoffrey

#10 Post by Geoffrey »

I use to have amateur radio license call sign VK4JGP and play with electronics, but now I do this, it's far more affordable, though I would like to get into photography to get me out of the house.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

developing software for modeling hypar roofs ( curved roofs from straight lines )
and rediscovering pre portland cement very common in by region in the 1840s to 1860s possibly originally the mix used to build the Mayan Temples. :shock:

dejan555

#12 Post by dejan555 »

Geoffrey wrote:though I would like to get into photography to get me out of the house.
Do it, that's my hobby by the way, had a lot of fun times with photography and I love it for more reasons:
- It gets technical if you want to learn about exposure, composition, editing etc so it's partly geeky hobby which suits me :)
- It makes you explore places or see things in a way different and not take them for granted (landscapes, macro, etc... )
- Meet new people, get you out of your comfort zone so it's challenging (portraits, street photography... )
- Photograph various events
- There are various methods and types of photography some are fun to experiment with, like long exposures for example.

And you can do it cheaply, you can start with compact point&shoot, they give very good image quality now.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

NathanO

#13 Post by NathanO »

Model Railroading. Second generation, Dad got his first train when he was 3 and will be 91 this year.

My Mom and Sister were also in the hobby when they were alive, a great family hobby.

Nathan

starhawk

#14 Post by starhawk »

8-bit wrote:
starhawk wrote:I dabble in electronics and I have a thriving computer-tinkering hobby. I'm also something of an artist.

I like to play with OLD computers. I have a few old Atari computers that are around 30 years old and still working. I have made interfaces that allow me to connect a hard drive to them. And we are talking about a computer that had a 1.79mhz 8 bit processor and 64 Kilobytes of ram.
I salvage most of the chips I use from old electronic boards for reuse in my projects.

What types of dust do you collect and how big is your collection? :lol: :wink:
I've had a MacSE, C64, Tandy CoCo (Series II IIRC) and Tandy MC-10 in my past. Of those I loved the C64 the most. One of my friends (the one who owns the local tech shop, actually) has a C128 and loves retro stuff like that (as do I!). I have the Jim Butterfield book on C64 assembly... that was my final semester project in college. Fun times. Never did finish it before getting rid of the C64. (I have rather severe motivation problems, and I tend to sell stuff that I'm sitting on and ignoring, rather than getting up and using it. LOL.)

I also have a 386 that runs Win3.11 -- I have a little thing called XWOAF (X Windows On A Floppy) that I'd love to try on it but (a) I think the RAM requirement is a little high for that system and (b) no math coproc (you don't know where I could get a working PLCC 387 for super cheap, do you?). That system was my first, and I've kept it going.

That friend I mentioned also gave me a 1984 Compaq Deskpro fit only for parts, and a generic XT clone that I can't get to boot (I suspect an issue with the floppy drive) but I'm ignoring it right now because I don't know enough about that stuff to know what to poke to get it to boot from floppy. The Winchester drive in it is bad (controller card formatting utility complains of no less than four bad tracks!) and the only other compatible drive I have needs at least one replacement tantalum bead capacitor (the stupid orange kind) before it'll power up again.

I'd love to be able to build a homebrew 6502 sys, but that's a long time away... I have to learn how, first -- remember that motivation thing I mentioned? Yeah, that ;)

I'd also love to play on a *real* Atari 2600 but that probably won't happen either.

Dewbie

#15 Post by Dewbie »

NathanO wrote:
Model Railroading. Second generation, Dad got his first train when he was 3 and will be 91 this year.

My Mom and Sister were also in the hobby when they were alive, a great family hobby.
Which gauge or scale are you currently into?
(Obviously HO wasn't around when your Dad started out...)

nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

It used to be Shortwave listening and building receivers
but I where incredibly bad at it. I did not know I where that bad
so I kept the hope up for some decades. :)

A kind of grandios self lie. VEry embarassing when I understood
how little I know bI thought me was good at it. Haha.

This where between me 12 years old to me around 40 years old.
and if you where good electronix and music
they had his at it then the industry could hire you as an expert on

All those years and nothing accomplished from me. Just dreams. .

Music was next big dream, but that turned out to big failure too.

I bought very expensive Syntesizers and then when realizing
how bad I where at cooperating with other music lovers.

So sad it failed. Music when it works is so rewarding.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

NathanO

#17 Post by NathanO »

Dewbie

Right now I work in Large Scale and Z scale. Over the years have worked in most of them.

Enjoy the people end of it too, like to attend conventions when piratical.

Dad started with a Standard Gauge set. We got into HO around 1952.

Nathan

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

Since 1983 my main "Hobby" is to get theology texts
But I do lack talent for that "Hobby" too. But it feels good
trying to grasp what they say. I get the impression that
such readings would help me to get some perspective on
my own thinking on Humans and God etc. .

Ibidem

#19 Post by Ibidem »

Gardening, programming, Linux, installing operating systems in weird ways (eg: manually configure ntldr to load grub4dos, then edit menu.lst to load a netboot kernel and initrd, then install from that; then partition things and cross-install FreeDOS via freedos-sys4linux...), resurrecting old software (xplore, xtar, mxterm, ...)
Also Bible study and trying to read through the Church Fathers...speaking of which, I'd suggest "On the Incarnation" by Athanasius as an interesting and central one that's not quite as difficult to understand as usual.

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Ibidem I am not on your level but I also find it interesting
to get how they reason about God and Jesus and the Holy Ghost.
Most atheists have no such interest apart from the Bible study group
at Internet Infidel. They are so deep into such things that I have
no clue on what they talk about and they find my lack of knowledge
so annoying they loose patience with me.

I fail to fit in at a lot of places both Linux an Bible study and
atheist logic. .