Remove FF 17 ESR from Slacko 5.7

Booting, installing, newbie
azstew

Remove FF 17 ESR from Slacko 5.7

#1 Post by azstew »

Slacko 5.7 has FF 17 ESR built in. I would like to replace it with FF 33. Any ideas how to do it?

wboz

#2 Post by wboz »

Can you update using Firefox' own updater? Probably Tools -> About -> Version -> Check for Updates

I did a similar thing in FF19 in Lucid 5.2.8.7 recently. I did not save the changes but I think they would have persisted in the save file if I had chosen to do so.

ardvark

#3 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

If wboz's suggestion doesn't work, try the one here. :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

I think this is the full set of files contained in FF ESR 17, but whether removing them wont screw things up ??? SO BACKUP FIRST if you try this

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
rm /root/.mozilla/firefox/anlxakj7.default
rm /root/.mozilla/firefox/anlxakj7.default/prefs.js
rm /root/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini
rmdir /root/.mozilla/firefox
rm /root/.mozilla/firefox
rm /root/Startup/firefox
rm /usr/bin/firefox
rm /usr/bin/firefox-new
rm /usr/bin/flash-player-properties
rm /usr/lib/firefox-17*
rm /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3
rm /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3.5.8
rm /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2
rm /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2.1.0
rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.11.2.202.327.so
rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/readme.txt
rmdir /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
rmdir /usr/lib/mozilla
rm /usr/share/applications/Firefox-web-browser.desktop
rm /usr/share/applications/flash-player-properties.desktop
rm /usr/share/icons/firefox.png
rm /usr/share/icons/flash-player-properties.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/firefox.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/flash-player-properties.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/sun-java.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/sun-javaws.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/sun-jcontrol.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-x-java-archive.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-x-java-jnlp-file.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/mimetypes/gnome-mime-text-x-java.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/flash-player-properties.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/flash-player-properties.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/flash-player-properties.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/firefox.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/flash-player-properties.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/sun-java.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/sun-javaws.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/sun-jcontrol.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-x-java-archive.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-application-x-java-jnlp-file.png
rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes/gnome-mime-text-x-java.png
rm /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png
rm /usr/share/pixmaps/flash-player-properties.png
Then try Shinobar's firefox portable http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 049#758049 - personally I love it.

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

I do not suggest to remove the built-in browser in a puppy if you are not very expert of puppy and the linux filesystem. You can install firefox 34.0 along the built-in firefox without removing it and making the new firefox the default browser. Shino did a portable firefox which can download the latest official firefox even outside the savefile:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91945

You can also untar the downloaded firefox with your localization from:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

in /usr/lib (make sure that the built-in firefox is already not in a /usr/lib/firefox dir: in slacko it is not so...) or /usr/local. Remove or rename .old the symlink firefox in /usr/bin and create a new relative symlink to the new executable binary firefox in /usr/bin and use default-application-chooser to make it the default browser.

wboz

#6 Post by wboz »

The problem is then the total size is bigger. In general uninstalling stuff is hard in linux ... and truly I have no idea how to do in Puppy! :/

rufwoof

#7 Post by rufwoof »

In general uninstalling stuff is hard in linux ... and truly I have no idea how to do in Puppy!
When I started with Puppy back last February when XP support was drawing to a close, I tried loads of puppy's. Many booted to black screens due to hardware incompatibilities - Slacko however worked out of the box and was the one I fell for. Initially used 5.6 but then found thin slacko that micko had thinned down to around 100MB.

Abiword proved to be buggy for me (failed at the worst time and lost quite a few hours of work), so I rejected that and gnumeric and went on a removal binge until I was down to around a 59MB puppy sfs. Still qute functional though. It was hard work clearing things out, its far easier to add to puppy. I guess I should have used Woof - and built a fresh bare bones (bottom up) rather than having gone top down.

I then went on the hunt for a range of sfs's/pet's that worked well for me and settled on Libre Office for draw, spreadsheet, text, Openshot/blender/inkscape/audacity for multi-media video/audio editing, and they became my core sfs's that I tend to load more often.

With a desktop setup that I like, I opted to fix that and drop using save files which I seemed to have problems with. So now I boot the exact same desktop each/every time, and load sfs's as/when required, with no save file. For configuration changes to the sfs I have a wrapper that redirects the config files to outside of puppy space (i.e. sym linked as part of the sfs load process). All data/docs etc are also stored outside of puppy space.

For my sfs loading and wrapper scripts around those that to do the sym links, I've recently started using a Rox App. Adding a sfs is relatively simple - edit a menu xml file to include a menu entry, add the code to the script which is generally/mostly a cut/paste and adjust process.

Bottom left I have the roxapp that when right clicked brings up a menu of all of the sfs's/scripts that I can load as/when required. Those sfs's and scripts are all stored on a NTFS partition in a single folder. In effect the AppInfo.xml and AppRun of the RoxApp are stored in the NTFS directory so they can be changed as desired whilst the puppy desktop remains the same.
Attachments
aa.jpg
(69.37 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
bb.jpg
(69.82 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

wboz

#8 Post by wboz »

What you've done is pretty elegant and seems useful. I have never actually had a problem with a safe file, but I do sometimes wonder why it has to load the entire thing every time - why can't the preferred desktop just be part of the main OS?

I can think of a couple questions which you might already have worked through.
1) If you're loading/saving documents and individual SFS from a partition on the USB drive, I imagine (not sure) that you might be shortening the read/write life of the drive by doing so. If on HDD I would not be worried about that.
2) Do you load all the A/V or Office applications at once? Or one at a time as needed?
3) How did you trim down the distribution size? IE, how did you identify what could be cut? I feel certain that abiword wouldn't get you most of that savings.
4) I've heard abiword is very buggy. I like having it because it doesn't take lots of space but can work in a pinch. But I use online text editors for composing because they're very resilient to hardware crashes (the incremental data being stored online every few seconds). If that's not an option then Libre not loaded by default makes lots of sense.
5) One day I'll learn to create the little scripts that Puppy relies on to do things, today isn't that day though. Not that complicated though, right?

azstew

#9 Post by azstew »

Thx, guys.
Help>about>check for updates says FF 17 ESR is up to date.

I'll try the tarball solution.

Thanks again.