proebler

#221 Post by proebler »

re PepperFlash:
perhaps this is of interest:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98203

Dry Falls

pepperflash

#222 Post by Dry Falls »

Just tried chromium37 with pepperflash on JL64. Despite error messages, it runs fine typing 'chromium' in the terminal. It shouldnt be too much of a problem to create a link in the menu. If this runs, the wrapper will probably as well. I will do some tinkering.
Google appears to have entered an unholy alliance with Adobe to try to block everything from moving to the non-proprietary HTML5 for video via their jooin PepperFlash project.
Who'dathunk!
Free software foundation is also working on non-proprietary plugins/extensions like librejs, and Icecat is html5 compatible and can run most mozilla plugins etc.

df

Dry Falls

#223 Post by Dry Falls »

Made a pepperflash addon and Seamonkey, Icecat and Firefox don't recognize it and when you point it out, return a message that the addon is corrupted. It is the same message received with the freshplayerplugin-0.2.3.pet which I tried. Since pepperflash is as much a proprietary google/adobe addon as was adobe flash for the other browsers, I don't see the attraction to anyone wanting an alternative to corporate control of their computing experience. For those who can't do without netflicks, I'd say the same thing Monty Python said back in the day concerning the "video-jaded public": "Get yer f'in arse back into the cinema where it belongs!" (or something to that effect).

df

edoc

#224 Post by edoc »

I appreciate the effort.

I could care less if I never saw anything-Flash but a couple of family members who use that computer like some things that are currently only available with Flash (some children's programs and etc).

Right now the deprecated version of Flash is working in Seamonkey so all is good.

Hopefully we can help Mozilla force the world to make everything available in HTML5 in addition to whatever proprietary nonsense they want to run parallel with it.

There are plenty of other places for the 1% to feed their greed - they don't need to be monetizing the base-apps.

IMHO, YMMV ... thanks again
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dry Falls

PPM fix

#225 Post by Dry Falls »

patch for PPM pet repo update and install (hacked from slacko64):

edit: looks like first was a bad pet. Install directory-symlink is unnecessary as it is generated by the txz install script and then deleted. here's a better one:
Attachments
PPM_patch-v2.pet-fake.gz
(7.45 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

edoc

Printer Problem

#226 Post by edoc »

Anyone else having trouble getting JLH64 to see a shared printer?

I have a Brother HL-2275DW connected to our ASUS RT-16N router.

I can print to it from 2 linux laptops (one currently has the older LH64, the other is Carolina 1.2) but not the one with JLH64.

Any thoughts, please?

Thanks
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

#227 Post by Dry Falls »

Anyone
else having trouble getting JLH64 to see a shared printer?
Yes,
this is something I've yet to address. I have a cannon and although it
is identified, there is no communication (print-wise), no matter what
drivers I install. And it's not even shared!.

df

edoc

Screen Saver Password?

#228 Post by edoc »

I think I've looked in all of the screen saver and background-related config windows (not sure why there are so many) and not found any reference to a screen saver password.

Is that feature available and if so where might I find it, please?

Have to keep the youngest from messing with this computer ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

#229 Post by Dry Falls »

I
think I've looked in all of the screen saver and background-related
config windows (not sure why there are so many) and not found any
reference to a screen saver password.
xscreensaver still runs as spot. kde desktop (with kdm enabled) will
let you lock the system on any resume but I think you'll still have to
give spot a password (by default, spot doesn't have one). ScreenLock is
unchanged from the original (It's in the Desktop folder). It will ask
for spot's pw and is not satisfied until you enter one (blank field
assumes 'cancel'). Root's pw seems to work ('woofwoof') fine, however.
You can change this with password wizard in the menu. Meanwhile, you
have to actually hit the lock now (ScreenLock) if you plan on leaving
the computer.

Does this make sense?

by the way, there are so many background-(& menu)-related config
windows because each available window manager (jwm, openbox, lxde, xfce
& kde) operate differently.

df

edoc

#230 Post by edoc »

I like that there are lots of options but sometimes ...

Case in point - where would one intuitively look to give Spot a password, please?

I didn't see it after looking through a bunch of menus.

Thanks ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Q5sys

#231 Post by Q5sys »

edoc wrote:I like that there are lots of options but sometimes ...

Case in point - where would one intuitively look to give Spot a password, please?

I didn't see it after looking through a bunch of menus.

Thanks ...
normally I would open your terminal and switch user to spot

Code: Select all

su spot
and then

passwd
However there seems to be something broken because im unable to su to spot in the version of JL64 I'm using.

So instead just use

passwd spot

Dry Falls, when you made this... did you remaster or just copy from an existing install? If the later, it may be that some of the dirs are not properly chown'd. Only thing that pops into my head.

Sorry I've been MIA recently everyone, Having to deal with family things is never fun. :(

edoc

#232 Post by edoc »

xscreensaver requires a password if manually activated but does not lock the screen when set for 3 minutes or one minute.

Why might that be, please?

Thanks ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

spot

#233 Post by Dry Falls »

Q5sys wrote: normally I would open your terminal and switch user to spot

su spot
and then

passwd
However there seems to be something broken because im unable to su to spot in the version of JL64 I'm using.

So instead just use

passwd spot
Dry Falls, when you made this... did you remaster or just copy from an existing install? If the later, it may be that some of the dirs are not properly chown'd. Only thing that pops into my head.
To answer the second question first, I only use remaster when pinstall scripts are too complicated. Normally I use edit-sfs. I think the problem with password wizard is in the 'category=' so it no longer shows up in the open-box menu. Fixing that as we speak. to change pw for root, run password wizard

passwd-wizard
(in terminal for now). To add/change pw for spot (or any other user), type in terminal:

passwd-wizard spot
I just changed root's pw to gonefishing and spot to woof2. No problem so it works.

Edoc, why put a time factor on screenlock? Seems to defeat the purpose. What if you take too long getting back and JuniorDoc comes in pushing the wrong buttons? Wouldn't it be more secure to leave it locked untill YOU return to it?

df

ps, su spot works fine for me, but you can then only run from the terminal, unless it is already a spot-designated application. Try this:

su spot
then

rox /root
and up pops a whole different look for the file manager. Then you'll get a bunch of error messages because spot has no permissions to make changes to the system. That's as it should be. A better multiuser environment is provided with the kde desktop, but it takes some getting used to.

edoc

#234 Post by edoc »

It's my wife's computer & she comes & goes & would not consistently remember to toggle the screen lock.

Just sayin' ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

Just-Lighthouse, fairly final

#235 Post by Dry Falls »

Just-Lighthouse, fairly final

k4.0.1-JL64
kde4.10.5 with xfce
eudev
xfce standalone wm stripped of systemd (with python-7.5 & qt-4.85)
sfslist wrote:5_kde-4.10.5-x86_64J.sfs|533b0e18d930f71764b48317737a51c8|192|*
6_kde-xtras.sfs|71f93e98927eed6ddb4cd967708a4b06|170|
Devx-JL64_602.sfs|db790d122d107d14b18db60c820cd0d8|302|
documentation.sfs|245eefea70123a5027c2a65a30f7006e|171|
Icecat-31.4.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.sfs|14f25627b3eafd511ce4c3e012b6912d|36|
kernel_sources-4.0.1-JL-64.sfs|981f948c59dfc6734078296acf1cf01f|111|
NLS_base-JL64_602.sfs|17fb5f0bcd80cedb00a87b1fabe6b780|100|*
profile.sfs|5c26f5c5a5a6595071321673ff29189c|3|
Seamonkey-2.33-x86_64-1.sfs|45944c1a20f90221ba2060dec9f7a69a|34|*
chromium-40b.0.2214.91-x86_64-1alien.sfs|7c5951dd0a09956c6627af9c18b2ae4c|64|
JL64-602.sfs|c41ef4b2602e17e66db0d3d4dc567948|271|*
kde-wallpapers-4.10.5-x86_64-1.sfs|e25ac001aba3fa2d92e15d6ab5a2f6f3|125| (In 6_kde)
Kpython7.5-qt4.8.5-x86_64.sfs|085003c167153f156d045bc1ffafa86a|97|(In 5_kde with systemd)
zWine-1.5.28-i486_602.sfs|ee30370b7a388413fa43671b56a8d25e|95|*

* In JL64-4.0.1.iso|c027312ff846f48bb6af72df4a9e8ede|730|
JustLighthouse-64

stemsee

#236 Post by stemsee »

The iso is @ 697mb but the main sfs is only 259mb, good job.

i will be testing over the next few days.

stemsee

#237 Post by stemsee »

Well it's running beautifully on my laptop. I always get a feeling of quality when using lighthouse: seems to be a spiritual thing. Did you adjust conky to show only for cpu0?

Love the moody weather wallpaper, easy on the eyes!

The drive icons seem improved in their placement.

Have you tried gslapt update? There are a lot of available app updates. I will try it later! or maybe now as I have no savefile yet .... see what happens.

Dry Falls

#238 Post by Dry Falls »

stemsee wrote: Did you adjust conky to show only for cpu0?
...Have you tried gslapt update?
Conky is old (part of pwidgets_amd64-2.3.3). As such, it can do things the newer versions cannot. Loosely tied to xonclock, I have it merely for a quick access to top running processes. CPU% reflects an average, but is handy to inform you whether a process is being built (such as a kde app), wherein you should exercise some patience, or if nothing is happening when you push a button. As well, it will identify a process stuck in an infinite loop (such as ddcprobe at first run if you have a monitor such as mine which refuses to identify itself) and you will know what to enter after "killall" in the terminal. On top of that, conky builds a png of the wallpaper with the exact proportions in order to retain its invisibility when you change backgrounds or switch to "hide desktop icons". The image can be copied to the background directory and renamed "default1.jpg" and the fedora (quad-core) sidebar will adjust on it's own.

I use gslapt almost exclusively. However, some package upgrades introduce conflict with existing scripts. They also add unnecessary weight to the already-heavy basefile. If things are working, I try to leave them be.

Upgrading xorg server, with or without dialog, removes UTF-8 functionality. Rox itself starts to misbehave and lose communication with pup_event. Petget and PPM break, and in no time at all, you no longer have lighthouse at all, and might just as well go straight slackware.

Be that as it may, I completely upgraded kde, built entirely from slackware packages overlayed upon Tazoc's kde skeleton. I had to get some dependencies from elsewhere and at least one package just plain doesn't work (nepomuk server). In fact, kde has already dropped it. There is also a mild conflict between kde disk-utilities and running eudev. I removed the symlinks, but pmount still works flawlessly, no matter the desktop environment.

I've got xfce running with gvs, python and qt with no systemd at all, and it seems to like it better. Kpython7.5-qt4.8.5-x86_64.sfs which contains xfce, superkaramba and ark should probably not be used with the kde addon. It contains enough klibraries that quite a few kde apps will run with it alone. It's for the 'no systemd' purists.

Fact is, I've found eudev to run faster and with fewer active background processes. Upgrading udev will completely ruin the effect, and you'll have to start over.

I'm glad you like the look. I've always had trouble between looks and substance, but this release just seems to feel good. It's still basically Tazoc's puppy.

df

stemsee

#239 Post by stemsee »

I am trying to get x11vnc to work but it says ip is 0! Any ideas?

edoc

#240 Post by edoc »

My old install of LH64-602 boots from a USB stick because this HP Pavilion g7 laptop implemented a weird method for UEFI.

Will this newest version of Just-LH64 also boot around UEFI from a USB stick?

I'd rather not mess with booting from a DVD, but will if I must.

Thanks ... you guys always amaze me ... and that's only from the pieces of your posts that I can follow!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]