Google Chrome says "bad NaCl helper startup ack (0 bytes)"

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
hanzf

Google Chrome says "bad NaCl helper startup ack (0 bytes)"

#1 Post by hanzf »

Hello,

I tried different installations of google chrome:
1. from here: https://www.google.de/chrome/browser/desktop/ I tried the 32 bit .deb package
2. this method: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91689

Both installations, when started, give this error message:

Code: Select all

[15288:15288:1101/211422:ERROR:nacl_fork_delegate_linux.cc(314)] Bad NaCl helper startup ack (0 bytes)
Method Nr. 2 gave a more complex but similar error report:

Code: Select all

# chrome
google-chrome-portable:/mnt/home/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-portable
google-chrome-portable:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R7/lib:/root/my-applications/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib/seamonkey:/mnt/home/google-chrome-portable-0.7/lib
google-chrome-portable:'/mnt/home/google-chrome-portable-0.7/google-chrome-config.3fs' is mounted on  '/mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs'.
google-chrome-portable:HOME=/mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs /mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-0.7.sfs/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-data-dir=/mnt/+mnt+home+google-chrome-portable-0.7+google-chrome-config.3fs/google-chrome-config --disk-cache-dir=/mnt/home/google-chrome-portable-0.7/Cache --disk-cache-size=104857600 --madia-cache-size=104857600 file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm
[15288:15288:1101/211422:ERROR:nacl_fork_delegate_linux.cc(314)] Bad NaCl helper startup ack (0 bytes)
What's wrong here?

thank you

Hans
Precise 5.7.1 frugal with .2fs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Does the browser run though? If it does you can probably ignore this error. The nacl_helper is another executable which gets called and attempts to run but I think you can operate without it.

I get the same error in some (but not all) Puppy variants with SlimJet browser which is an alternative (Chromium derivative) to Chrome. I think it happens because of the older library configurations in some Pups. You see it with Precise but not with the more recent Tahr Pup.
Oscar in England

hanzf

#3 Post by hanzf »

Hello OscarTalks,

When I start "chrome" from a terminal window, I see these error messages but the process does not terminate, but also does nothing visible, i.e.: No, chrome does not run.
btw I tried slimjet and it had the same problem.
Precise 5.7.1 frugal with .2fs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

Hans,

I have a recent Chrome 45 packaged as .pet or .sfs in my smokey01.com repo here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Or SlimJet packages here:-
https://copy.com/gF9dHT29oq4lolpc
These will run in Precise (ignore the errors) which your signature says you are using.
As I said, if you try TahrPup they will run without the errors but I think that is because Chromium derivatives tend to need very recent libraries.
Oscar in England

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

i can't help you with the Chrome browser itself, sorry, never used it. But this
is very strange: NaCl is the chemical symbol for ordinary Out house salt.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

Damn you !, I did want to say that the load module had been salted with the wrong module entry points.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

OscarTalks

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

Apparently NaCl in this case stands for Native Client. I did try to read up about it but didn't fully understand to be honest. It seems to be some type of sandboxing system although Chromium/Chrome has several of these. The helper executable doesn't respond to environment variables in the normal way for some reason, perhaps it is being called in an unorthodox way or something. In some cases it errors out because of not finding nss libs even though they should be in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH but the browser will still run without it.

As for salt there is a play on words going on because we also have PEPPER as the flash player in Chromium browsers.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

@OscarTalks:-

Hello, Oscar. Just wanted to say 'Thanks' for the link to your version of Chrome 45 in .pet format. Wanted to update, 'cos I've been using version 41.....and I''ve just started getting the 'out-of-date' warnings every time I start 'er up..!

Running without incident in Tahrpup 6.03 & ETP's 'Chromebook' Pup (v.1), and in Slacko 5.7.0 & X-Slacko 2.3.2 with the addition of libgconf & lib-gnome-keyring.

Cheers!

Mike. :wink: