What do you think is the most important part of Puppy?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#21 Post by Colonel Panic »

I agree with everything that's been said so far, and would like to add this; the ability to get a live session running from a CD in a very short time and then save the session (configuration settings and all) at the end. As far as I know, no other live distro can do that.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

J_D_

#22 Post by J_D_ »

Installed 6.0 this AM. Full install this time. I have to say Tahrpup is abut as user friendly as you can get. Takes easy to a new level. AND, I am the poster child for "computer dummy".

Mike Walsh

#23 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well; I, for one, am very glad that Puppy is not confined to the Antipodes. However, where it not for a certain gentleman from the Antpodes, it wouldn't, of course, exist...

To me, one word sums Puppy up. FUN!!
starhawk wrote:Puppy, the OS, is about speed, small size, ease of use, and reliable operation.
Couldn't have summed it up better.
p310don wrote:I like that through a frugal install with a backed up save file I can restore stuff after my tinkering.
I like the fact that I can do a full, heavily-customised re-install in under 90 minutes!
mikeb wrote:Puppy... easy to play with...in fact essential you do...get yer hands dirty ... good to learn the rights and wrongs . As also mentioned elsewhere this forum seems to be the kingpin of the whole raison d'etre.
It's one of the nice things about Puppy that it's easy to 'tinker with'....but with a backed-up save file, if you do break it, it's SO easy to restore. And yes; I honestly think the community is the very best part of Puppy. Every forum has its characters; the 'eccentrics'.....the 'good eggs'.....the 'comedians' (you know who you are!).....etc., etc. Without these forums, as was mentioned elsewhere in this post, my kennel of 'Pups' wouldn't be exactly the way that I would like them. In fact, in my case, if it weren't for the invaluable help of one forum member, I would have never been able to upgrade my 'big' Compaq in such a relatively trouble-free way. The aloof crowd at the Ubuntu Forums steadfastly ignored my request for some pointers, in favour of discussing the current rash of 'click-bait' articles in the media; so much more important, of course!

Oh, that's not entirely fair; they do have a few 'good eggs'.....but very few & far between. By and large, though, they make out they're something 'special'....huh!

The Puppy Forums are special. In the only way that counts; the quality of its membership. Period.

Regards,

Mike. :wink:

kb8amz

#24 Post by kb8amz »

Ease of use.
Terry Morris - KB8AMZ
Registered Linux User# 412308

Dell Latitude D505 tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE; Dell Optiplex 520 desktop Ubuntu 14.04 LTS; Dell Optiplex 150 LM 17 32bit, HP Quad Core AMD FatDog64 7.02