Slacko32/64 700 BETA 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
norgo

Kernel 4.1.32 / 3.14.78

#401 Post by norgo »

Slacko 32/64 BETA 2

Unfortunately Intel-Power-State Driver seems to become a never ending story.
There are a lot of smart people searching for a solution but they didn't find a solution during the last two years.

reading sample

I already reported about this bug in Nov 2015 but nobody seems to care.

Unfortunately Kernels for both new Slacko versions are compiled again with intel_pstate=yes
Currently the first thing I do with a new version is
to edit the isolinux.cfg and add intel_pstate=disable bootparameter

@Billtoo
how are your experiences with the new kernel version and intel_pstate ?

@01micko
nevertheless really good work the new Slacko 700 BETA 2, thank you very much

norgo

Kernel 4.1.32 / 3.14.78

#402 Post by norgo »

Here a conky screenshot of my system.

I'm using an Intel i7 4770S ( Haswell ) CPU.
Permitted frequency for this CPU type is: 0,8 - 3,1 GHz
also possible 3,9 GHz (but only for one core) if turbo is activated.

If intel_pstate is used, all cores are running near 3,9 GHz all the time !

As already mentioned my currently workaround is to boot with option intel_pstate=disable

Now

scaling driver: acpi-cpufreq
governor: ondemand

is used.
This driver is working flawless in my case.

In my opinion it would be a good idea to compile kernels without intel-power-state driver
until a working solution is found.
Attachments
intel_pstate.jpg
intel_pstate
(106.7 KiB) Downloaded 924 times

jlst

Re: Kernel 4.1.32 / 3.14.78

#403 Post by jlst »

norgo wrote:Slacko 32/64 BETA 2

Unfortunately Intel-Power-State Driver seems to become a never ending story.
There are a lot of smart people searching for a solution but they didn't find a solution during the last two years.

reading sample
That's really a bad bug

Your request can be easily applied, both kernels used by slacko are in the git repo, any collaborator can edit them (i probably will). I can't say the same for kernels compiled for derivatives or the ubuntu puppies... unknown situation.

It's just a matter of disabling this: CONFIG_X86_INTEL_PSTATE=y

I'm reading the kernel bugzilla, and apparently this happens in a few processors. other people with haswell cpus might want to comment on this...

By the way, would you like to volunteer to compile some kernels to test? I can provide small tarballs with a configured kernel-kit and you just run a command and everything will be ready in minutes.. but i first have to edit the kernel kit to automate everything (in a few days).

jlst

#404 Post by jlst »

Insomniacno1 wrote:This might be dumb question, but how on earth can you save session to DVD? Multisession DVD means that you can burn it several times - not direct saving or have I forgot something again.

Wouldn't it be better to save session on usb stick or HDD?

JBJ
I read this mechanism was invented by TedDog. Yes, it saves the session to a new folder in the dvd and the init script must find and use it. This is unknown to most people including me. I used it once in 2013 i guess. This is probably broken in the new init.. will be fixed one of these days..

Jades

#405 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote: Darn Adobe at it again with their URL changes :roll:

Do something like this in ~/.getflash/getflash-conf

Code: Select all

#CHECKURL_32='://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_11.2_for_other_Linux_32-bit_(.tar.gz)_-_NPAPI&standalone=1' 
CHECKURL_32='://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_11.2_for_other_Linux_32-bit_(.tar.gz)_-_NPAPI&sType=2721&standalone=1' 
#CHECKURL_64='://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_11.2_for_other_Linux_64-bit_(.tar.gz)_-_NPAPI&standalone=1' 
CHECKURL_64='://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_11.2_for_other_Linux_64-bit_(.tar.gz)_-_NPAPI&sType=2721&standalone=1'
I checked the Adobe website for getting Flash. Changing the URL section of getflash-conf to the following worked.

## Adobe URLs
CHECKURL_32='://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_11.2_for_other_Linux_32-bit_(.tar.gz)_-_NPAPI&sType=2733&standalone=1'
CHECKURL_64='://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_11.2_for_other_Linux_64-bit_(.tar.gz)_-_NPAPI&sType=2733&standalone=1' 
ADOBE_GENERAL_TERMS="http://www.adobe.com/legal/general-terms.html"
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

norgo

Kernel 4.1.32 / 3.14.78

#406 Post by norgo »

@jlst
jlst wrote:I'm reading the kernel bugzilla, and apparently this happens in a few processors. other people with haswell cpus might want to comment on this...
I know that Billtoo had the same issue with his Intel Ivy-Bridge CPU ( i3 -3227U )
The most people with affected CPU's doesn't notice this bug because for this they would need a system monitoring application.
This bug could become very dangerous in case of high cup load for a long time.
jlst wrote:By the way, would you like to volunteer to compile some kernels to test? I can provide small tarballs with a configured kernel-kit and you just run a command and everything will be ready in minutes.. but i first have to edit the kernel kit to automate everything (in a few days).
Yes of course I would like to help but I'm not sure whether my knowledge will be sufficient.
But I'm very sure that you will create a nice script ;-)
Please send me a PM when ready

Thank you for your effort and all you do

Jades

#407 Post by Jades »

Flash URLs have changed again, the Adobe URLS bit in ~/.getflash/getflash-conf should now be as follows.

## Adobe URLs
CHECKURL_32='://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_11.2_for_other_Linux_32-bit_(.tar.gz)_-_NPAPI&sType=2737&standalone=1'
CHECKURL_64='://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_11.2_for_other_Linux_64-bit_(.tar.gz)_-_NPAPI&sType=2737&standalone=1'  
ADOBE_GENERAL_TERMS="http://www.adobe.com/legal/general-terms.html"
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

watchdog

#408 Post by watchdog »

Cryptoloop is deprecated. These beta slackos do not support cryptoloop in savefiles ("work in progress" said 01micko). Although I can mount encrypted savefiles of other puppies using losetup-FULL of xenialpup and xenial64 (a little change in the header of filemnt). I wonder if encryption of savefiles is going no longer supported. Is nowadays an encrypted savefile (cryptoloop) always worthwhile? I think that only a backward compatibility could be implemented consenting to mount only encrypted savefiles from less recent puppies.

jlst

#409 Post by jlst »

watchdog wrote:Cryptoloop is deprecated. These beta slackos do not support cryptoloop in savefiles ("work in progress" said 01micko). Although I can mount encrypted savefiles of other puppies using losetup-FULL of xenialpup and xenial64 (a little change in the header of filemnt). I wonder if encryption of savefiles is going no longer supported. Is nowadays an encrypted savefile (cryptoloop) always worthwhile? I think that only a backward compatibility could be implemented consenting to mount only encrypted savefiles from less recent puppies.
There were plans to replace it with dmcrypt, but the whole thing was dropped
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... dbabe02143

The last losetup version to support cryptloop was 2.22, so it can't be losetup-FULL, maybe losetup-222 and edit filemnt accordingly.

watchdog

#410 Post by watchdog »

Slacko64-6.9.6.4 with kernel 4.1.32 is the very first 64 bit puppy which does not stress the cpu fan of my HP 550 celeron laptop. It can become my first puppy to use. Is there an explanation?

faQun

failed frugal f2fs install

#411 Post by faQun »

I tried to install slacko 32 bit 6.9.4 on a usb drive. One partition formatted as fat32 as boot partition and rest of the space as f2fs.

Installation process didn't report any errors. Though, by reboot kernel panic is displayed :evil:

Then I installed slacko 700 beta on usb formatted fat32. Everything works but performance is very slow, hence I want to use f2fs. :roll:

How is ext4 working compared to fat32 performance-wise? Any suggestions are welcome.

Maurizio4Puppy

Re: Puppy slacko64 F2fs Frugal Install to USB stick doesn’t boot

#412 Post by Maurizio4Puppy »

Maurizio4Puppy wrote: Using the F2FS Installer I am trying to use a 16GB USB stick.
The installation ends correctly but when I boot a PC from this stick I receive the attached error screen.
Solved copying puppy_slacko64_6.9.6.4.sfs to the root of the F2FS partition.

greengeek

#413 Post by greengeek »

Maurizio4Puppy wrote:Solved copying puppy_slacko64_6.9.6.4.sfs to the root of the F2FS partition.
Are you able to post the menu.lst?
cheers

Maurizio4Puppy

#414 Post by Maurizio4Puppy »

greengeek wrote:Are you able to post the menu.lst?
cheers
No. The F2FS installation uses EXTLINUX, not Grub.
Regards

greengeek

#415 Post by greengeek »

Oh, ok - does it use a .cfg file to specify file locations?

Maurizio4Puppy

#416 Post by Maurizio4Puppy »

greengeek wrote:Oh, ok - does it use a .cfg file to specify file locations?
Thanks for the tip greengeek, solved!

I have added the line

PSUBDIR='/slacko64_6.9.6.4'

at the end of the file DISTRO_SPECS in the /slacko64_6.9.6.4/initrd.gz archive on the boot partition.

MedionTuner

WiFi doesn't work

#417 Post by MedionTuner »

Hi Community,

this is my first message in this forum. Im getting my old MD 98300 running, because my children have caught all the newer hardware.

My Laptop has an issue that can be repaired with
echo "blacklist acer_wmi" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-acer_wmi.conf (for example in LUBUNTU). Slacko 6.3 was the first distro, that worked without this blacklisting.

Now I try slacko-6.9.6.4-uefi in a LICK frugal installation. With "rfkill list" i see the same problem like in LUBUNTU. But this time the blacklisting doesn't work.

# rfkill list
0: acer-wireless: wlan
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: wlan
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

Maybe this is an issue with Frisbee 1.4.2 ? Is there a slacko 69xx availlable with Frisbee 1.4.1?

Kurt

MedionTuner

Wifi Problem

#418 Post by MedionTuner »

Changed to Fatdog64 710. Works better for me.

Rodney Byne

Couple of observations

#419 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi,

1. Getflash - Install flashplayer doesn't connect to the server.

Thank goodness for the lifeline; Index of OscarTalks pets.
At least we can download and use Flash plugin from there.

2. After the top Tray1 is deleted, it leaves a single white vertical
bar behind. How do we get rid of that?

3. It may be obvious to most, but how can the all the Menu
items be made to look blacker and easier to read
instead of dark grey?

Regards.

yr1945

#420 Post by yr1945 »

Rodney Byne,

1) Getflash link has never worked for me either... a big Thank You goes to OscarTalks as well as smokey01 for hosting.

2) Go to Menu, click on Desktop, Desktop Settings, Tray, Tray 1 at top left, then in middle of page change Height (px) from 48 to 0, then click Apply. NOTE: Sometimes you have to click Apply a couple of times.

3) Go to Menu, click on Desktop, Desktop Settings, Theming. Apps decoration (gtk), then I select Gradient-grey and click Apply.