How to run an app on my Android phone?

Using applications, configuring, problems
april

How to run an app on my Android phone?

#1 Post by april »

I'm trying to get a string of LEDs to light with a bluetooth link to an android phone . Its done through an app and I have the .app file ready to go on my phone .

Does anyone know where the app file is placed so the phone can see it ? I don't want to download it from google or anything like that just get it installed and running on my android smart phone that whips away my money very smartly.

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

Use the file manager to browse to the file location(on the sdcard). You will need to first enable installing apps from unknown sources -- in the settings app under 'Security', check 'Unknown Sources', or similar setting. You could also turn off app verification just below the above setting.

You could also use the 'adb' to install the app remotely from your PC.

april

#3 Post by april »

OH yes . Wonderful thank you
You could also use the 'adb' to install the app remotely from your PC.
I did not understand what that is please?

drunkjedi

#4 Post by drunkjedi »

Install android-tools-adb & android-tools-fastboot packages from repo.

ADB is Android Debug Bridge, it's used for PC to communicate and control your device.

After installing adb,
Switch ADB enabled in the developer mode menu of your device.
Connect your phone to PC with usb and run in a terminal

Code: Select all

adb devices
That should list a device.
Then run

Code: Select all

adb install filename.apk 
To install a package.

Search web for adb commands and tricks.

Fastboot is also a useful tool. I have booted my phone to a custom recovery through it, without installing it on phone.

Search the web. Both are good & powerful command line tools for android management.

I have used both in tahr64, to successfully root my Oneplus One phone.

april

#5 Post by april »

OK i have looked a little deeper and for those that don't know ,once you get the ".apk" file , which is the app itself . Put it on an SD card , enable outside software and just click on the app and it installs itself .

In addition to that . You can rather laboriously design your own apps with MIT App Inventor 2 .http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/?locale= ... 8213149696

You can decompile an ".apk" file to its java source code by going here
http://www.javadecompilers.com/result?currentfile=

And you can read a bit more here
http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/ ... .html[/url

amigo

#6 Post by amigo »

adb is 'android debugger' which lets you remotely access the android device from your PC. It is usable on all android devices.

fastboot is similar, but does not work on all devices -it is dependent on there being a certain kind of bootloader -google devices are one of several brands/models which can use fastboot. fastboot is only available during pre-boot, from a special boot-mode which requires booting the phone with a special combination and order of buttons. fastboot allows flashing/upgrading different parts of the OS, including the ability to overwrite the bootloader itself. Some devices with intel CPU have a similar mode called DNX.

adb is only available when the system is running, although it can be the recovery system, as well as the full OS. adb allows you to install packages remotely, run shell commands on the android system and other goodies.

Both adb and fastboot also allow you to remotely reboot the android device, allowing you to boot directly to recovery mode, etc.

recovery mode is a mini-system which can be used to create or install backups of your installed apps. It can also be used to clear the cache and/or data storage areas. Most importantly, the recovery system allows you to perform system upgrades without the main system running. Custom recovery systems, like CWM or TWRP add lots of useful capabilities -TWRP even has the touch-screen working. The standard android recovery system is called 'e3'.

Some systems even have a 'safe mode' which works like the Wondows safe mode -with reduced drivers and running services.

The update mechanism implemented by the recovery system is interesting. Updates are a special kind of zip file, which include their own, statically-compiled updater binary. This can be replaced with a shell script (since both fullOS and recovery system contain a small shell) or with any other binary you like. Normally, the update-binary is a small program which can mount devices, mkdirs, unpack archives and a few other things -all directed by the accompanying plain-text installer-script. Lots of room to play around there -run an 'updater' which can be any custom system you like (and can create or find!).

Happy hunting!