How do I mount a RAID 0 from a live CD?

Booting, installing, newbie
dabassman

How do I mount a RAID 0 from a live CD?

#1 Post by dabassman »

First and foremost let me say I am an absolute newbie when it comes to anything Linux but I shall do my best to learn.

I'm trying to work on an Alienware D9T laptop with XP Home on it. It will not boot into Windows due to the install being trashed somehow. It has an onboard Promise RAID setup I'm not at all familiar working with. I'm wanting to access the Windows install to hopefully at the least retrieve files off of it.

I'm using PuppyLinux 5.2.8 via a Live CD I think it's called. I've booted just fine as I'm using firefox right now to write this.

When I click on the Mount icon it opens a window that shows a drive 'ATA Samsung MP
402H 40 GB 1 partitions' then below that it says 'sda1 ntfs 76.4 G'.

When I click Mount I get an error message that says "unable to mount sda1"

What do I need to do, if anything else is necessary to access the Windows install?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

:D

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Welcome Mate.

While other members are waiting to see if you'll reply, your answer lies in searching "unable to mount windows raid from linux."
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

cthisbear

#3 Post by cthisbear »

Maybe change the hard drives to see them in Puppy.

I have had the same happen even in the Falcon boot cd.

Chris.

dabassman

#4 Post by dabassman »

Thanks to the two of you who replied to my 'quest'. I shall persue this per the hints given in your posts.

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

The information you need is here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=483667
"RAID arrays in (Puppy) Linux"

The part which is relevant to you is the second post, "2. HOST RAID"
Unfortunately the necessary "dmraid" software I provided in the form of a dotpet appears to have been deleted from the forum post - the forum administrators over time have changed the rules about maximum filesize attachments, which have really ***ed us up in many cases.
I'm currently on holidays, but once back home this weekend I will see if I still have the dmraid dotpet saved on one of my hard drives.
In the meantime, I encourage you to read through that forum post. Ultimately you will need to understand and use the terminal commands that I explained.

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

tempestuous is the goods on Raid.

I bookmarked how someone with Puppy recovered their data with raid
but I can't find it here or on Whirlpool Forum.

Chris.

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

Hey! I found it.

CindyJ >>>>>> Trying to recover data on Raid 0

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64283

cHRIS.

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, the forum member who successfully tested the dmraid application was CindyJ in 2011. I mentioned that in the "RAID arrays in (Puppy) Linux" thread.

Well I don't have a copy of the dmraid dotpet on my old hard drives, so well done Puppy administrators, that's another resource lost forever.
However, I see that dmraid was also provided for Fat Dog. Get the Fat Dog ISO here -
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... irefox.iso
and the Fat Dog-compatible dmraid dotpet here -
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... 0.rc16.pet

I suggest you copy the dmraid dotpet to a USB flash drive.
Boot the Fat Dog live CD on your damaged RAID computer. Once fully booted, plug in the USB flash drive, click on its icon to mount it, then click on the dmraid dotpet to install it.

Next click on the "console" icon on the desktop, from which you can now type manual commands.
Then follow my instructions in the "RAID arrays in (Puppy) Linux" thread from "modprobe dm-mod" onward.

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

You're welcome.