Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.

Please post any bugs you have found
RickGT351

Re: Can't connect to internet with cable after running firewall

#181 Post by RickGT351 »

RickGT351 wrote:Can't connect to internet with cable after running firewall wizard. Also can't connect after creating savefile

Today I did a pfix=ram boot from the cd and I can get on the internet.The issues start after I run the firewall wizard.
To connect with the internet, I have to use http://www.slackware.com/~alien/efg/]Al ... r IPTables . If I reboot after that, then I won't be able to connect with the net. The firewall itself does not allow connection to the internet.
The details are; Interface: eth0, Type: wired, Driver: forcedeth, Bus: PCI. It works ok with Precise 5.7.1 and any other Puppy I have tried

Let's see if the text in this post will show
I also created a savefile without running the firewall wizard. No internet available after reboot

RickGT351

#182 Post by RickGT351 »

Can't connect to the internet after creating a savefile.
If I run a pfix=ram boot off the cd, internet is available, however if I create a savefile, no internet is available after reboot. I have tried creating savefiles after running the firewall wizard and also not running it.
Basically it's useless after creating a savefile which is very sad as I was looking forward to using it.
Hopefully this post actually shows as my previous attempts show up as blank even though if I click on EDIT, I can read the text

Semme

#183 Post by Semme »

Your url tags were off, but I'll guess there's something loaded in the live session that isn't from the save.
The issues start after I run the firewall wizard.

To connect with the internet, I have to use Alien Bob's Easy Firewall Generator for IPTables. If I reboot after that, then I won't be able to connect with the net. The firewall itself does not allow connection to the internet.

The details are; Interface: eth0, Type: wired, Driver: forcedeth, Bus: PCI. It works ok with Precise 5.7.1 and any other Puppy I have tried..
You might fair better with this pkg >> Arno's IPTABLES firewall script.

Puppus Dogfellow

#184 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

running slacko64 with the 32 bit lib compatibility sfs loaded.

got zarfy (dual monitor support) to work, but the text is just rectangular boxes, so it's best to have a screeny of the correct interface available if you want to use it.

the last popup in T.A.S. is also only giving boxes, no text (interface starts off fine and the main gui returns to the screen okay--it's just the box that tells you the the shot's been taken and [...] that's affected.)

other than my JWM gripes and these two issues, it's pretty wonderful so far--fast, quiet, and easy on cpu and memory use.

gcmartin

#185 Post by gcmartin »

Although I am unsure how to solve, it appears there is a font problem.

On another note
How are your monitors wired? DVI/HDMI/Multiple-cards/Single-card/VGA?

Curious. I am in a planning phase for my next system.

Puppus Dogfellow

#186 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

gcmartin wrote:Although I am unsure how to solve, it appears there is a font problem.

On another note
How are your monitors wired? DVI/HDMI/Multiple-cards/Single-card/VGA?

Curious. I am in a planning phase for my next system.
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - 512.0 MB5001309b is my graphics card? i have that info saved in a text document because i guess i thought it would prove useful at some point. i set this up same as i do any other pup i run on this laptop--i just plug the monitor into the hdmi port (sometimes i use the vga port along side it--i was about to report my test on two externals but the one i dug out (gateway) can't use any of the six extra plugs i've wound up with over the years) on the side of my dv7 hewlett packard something or other: hard info says i've got core 2 duo cpu p8600--htop tells me i'm using 2300 mb of 6000, hard info says 4274--unlike on my other machines, lxtask agrees with the lower figure...is there a command i can issue to give you the specific info you request? have i done it? sorry for turning my response into another bug report.

haven't done much video testing beyond youtube, but i guess slacko64's resource usage is more typical than i reported earlier. :oops:

htop gave me odd readings in another distro as well--can you confirm it's messing up? it seemed to be okay just a few days ago. restarting the program doesn't fix the problem on my installation.

anyway, it's plugged into the hdmi port and i don't remember reading anything in the documentation (not that i can find it at the moment) about multiple video cards.

hth

davids45

Using slacko-6.3.0 devx.sfs to make a printer driver

#187 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

For the first time running with a devx :shock: , I'm trying to make a 32-bit slacko-6.3.0-compatible driver for my networked EpsonXP200 ink jet printer.

This printer works via CUPS with most earlier Pups but not with slacko-6.3.0 so I assume I need to create a slacko-6.3.0-compatible driver.

I'm using a Frugal slacko-6.3.0 with the devx sfs.

I have tried a few different driver 'source' files for the printer (e.g. recent .rpm, .deb, .tar.gz files from Epson) but even when I expand/decompress the printer file, and navigate to the expanded directory, the "bootstrap" process doesn't seem to run.

The last file I've tried was from a slackware source (dated 2012, epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.2.2-1lsb3.2.tar.gz) , but this also gave the same short output when I tried the 'bootstrap' step (see screenshot). Trying then a 'Make', terminal said there was nothing to 'make'.

The slacko-6.3.0 mdsum for the devx is right.

I had no problem creating a compatible driver in tahrpup-6.0.5 with its devx and the Epson .deb package, following the 'README' instructions (see screenshots).

So I'm at a loss with what to do next - should the slacko-6.3.0 devx work with any of these driver file types? Is there already a 32-bit slacko driver to suit an Epson printer?

David S.

Update: I'm finding very few slacko Pups are printing with the networked-EpsonXP200 so it's not just slacko-6.3.0 but virtually all slackos. Oddly, my full 5.6 will print but not the frugal 5.6 :? so there is possibly something in the setting up that I need to address as well.
Attachments
Screenshot(3).png
README guide with slackware file
(181.43 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times
Screenshot(2).png
terminal display from ./bootstrap - with every file tried so far
(28.66 KiB) Downloaded 1227 times

nubc

#188 Post by nubc »

It's worth repeating, the cumulative sluggishness and lag reported earlier was fixed by switching from Firefox ESR to Chrome browser. Now that the problem is identified, it might be worth testing 64-bit Slacko 630 again.

RickGT351

#189 Post by RickGT351 »

nubc wrote:It's worth repeating, the cumulative sluggishness and lag reported earlier was fixed by switching from Firefox ESR to Chrome browser. Now that the problem is identified, it might be worth testing 64-bit Slacko 630 again.
I find that with Chrome, if I have more than 4 tabs open, everything grinds to a halt. Will have to see whether the Firefox included in the distro works any better

RickGT351

#190 Post by RickGT351 »

Slacko64 Can't connect to the internet after creating a savefile.
Connecting to VDSL modem with a cable.
As a test, I created a savefile after making the following changes after a pfix=ram boot: location, timezone, set time from internet and numlock on.
Rebooted and set up save file. After reboot, no internet available.
Note that I did nothing with the firewall. This is very annoying :?

Update: as an experiment, I did a pfix=ram boot, ran the internet connection wizard, then made a savefile and rebooted. Still no internet after rebooting. Didn't change any settings in the setup wizard

Update 2: I did a full install of Slacko64. I didn't set up the firewall. I now have internet. The weird thing is that if I boot off the cd and choose my full install save file, there is no internet
Last edited by RickGT351 on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

RickGT351

#191 Post by RickGT351 »

Semme wrote:Your url tags were off, but I'll guess there's something loaded in the live session that isn't from the save.
The issues start after I run the firewall wizard.

To connect with the internet, I have to use Alien Bob's Easy Firewall Generator for IPTables. If I reboot after that, then I won't be able to connect with the net. The firewall itself does not allow connection to the internet.

The details are; Interface: eth0, Type: wired, Driver: forcedeth, Bus: PCI. It works ok with Precise 5.7.1 and any other Puppy I have tried..
You might fair better with this pkg >> Arno's IPTABLES firewall script.
Semme, the link is correct. It appears if you select firewall on the Setup wizard after you start with a pfix=ram boot and unclick the default setting - which won't let you on the internet.
It turns out that the issue isn't connected with the firewall. I have created a savefile without selecting firewall and have not been able to connect after rebooting. I have internet connection with the pfix=ram boot

Semme

#192 Post by Semme »

Not the FW I knew.

I'd maybe compare lsmod dumps between a save and live boot, see if there's a difference.

There's a reasonable chance your net modules aren't loading or one too many are.

The latter here would cause interference.

Not sure how you're doing it now, but maybe give PeasyWiFi a shot.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

spintronic

Slacko 6.3 64-bit no wifi detected on Compaq Presario CQ62

#193 Post by spintronic »

Don't know what happened in Slack 6.3 64-bit but I had wifi working great in slack 5.7.0

Anybody know if something is missing in slacko 6.3?

RickGT351

#194 Post by RickGT351 »

Semme wrote:Not the FW I knew.

I'd maybe compare lsmod dumps between a save and live boot, see if there's a difference.

There's a reasonable chance your net modules aren't loading or one too many are.

The latter here would cause interference.

Not sure how you're doing it now, but maybe give PeasyWiFi a shot.
I am connected the old fashioned way - with a cable

RickGT351

Re: Slacko 6.3 64-bit no wifi detected on Compaq Presario CQ62

#195 Post by RickGT351 »

spintronic wrote:Don't know what happened in Slack 6.3 64-bit but I had wifi working great in slack 5.7.0

If you do a pfix=ram boot off the cd, can you get internet? There is an issue with being able to access the internet after booting with a savefile. Just wanted to eliminate that as a possible cause.
Last edited by RickGT351 on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#196 Post by gcmartin »

RickGT351 wrote:If you do a pfix=ram boot off the cd, can you get internet? Just wondering
This is a rather curious question. How have you been booting? And which PUPPY are you using? If you are using one of those that this thread's title indicates, you should have known this.

In any event, Normally, all PUPs boot from certain media into RAM. If you have saved a prior session, it will again boot into RAM and bring your prior work along so that you can continue where you left off.

If you DO NOT WANT ANY PRIOR SESSION, at the boot, you hit F2 and boot with the pfix=ram option where your PUP will boot as if it was the first time ever booted. So YES, after you fill in the very first screen that pops to the desktop (and I strongly advise you change the hostname to a name you like), when you hit OK, it will complete your desktop for your locale and will allow INTERNET access as you wish.

If your system seems to grind to a major slowdown when in use, I offer this for you to capture and post to this thread. Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

free
Copy and post the results to this thread for additional help.

One additional command to type and post results that would be helpful is

Code: Select all

uname -a
as this would help identify your system.

Hope this is helpful.

moeppyfan

#197 Post by moeppyfan »

spintronic wrote:Don't know what happened in Slack 6.3 64-bit but I had wifi working great in slack 5.7.0

spintronic: If tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE wifi works but slacko64 6.3.0 doesn't, try this in slacko64 6.3.0:

Download huge-4.4.0-EmSeex86_64.tar.bz2 here: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Kernels Extract it somewhere, then open "console" in Slacko 64-bit 6.3.0 and type change_kernels to replace yours with the ones from 4.4.0, then reboot. If that doesn't work, try the one called huge-3.14.54-tahr_64 and huge-3.18.22-slacko64. I had the same problem in slacko64 only.

nubc

#198 Post by nubc »

When I double click a Pfind search result, I get an error: Failed to fork (cannot allocate memory). What gives?

cc11rr

Anyone get printing to work?

#199 Post by cc11rr »

Hello. Did anyone get printing to work in Slacko64 6.3.0? I tried two printers and none works over USB. I use a Canon laser printer that works in Slacko 5.7. It does not work in Slacko64 6.3.0. I tried both 64 bit and 32 bit drivers. On my Brother printer I can see that data is being sent to the Brother printer but nothing is printed. There is an error message stating file or device does not exist for both printers. Is there a printing problem in Slacko64 6.3.0? Printing is one feature I need to use Slacko64 6.3.0. I like to hear if anyone got printing to work in Slacko64 6.3.0 and the details of how you got printing to work. Thank you.

Semme

#200 Post by Semme »

Details Mate? Read/ask in the appropriate thread >> "How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy"