HTML Beginners guide as default homepages?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Alucard_the_dex

#21 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Good idea but 4th desktop? I personal HARDLY use different desktops from being so use to windows and would pple see that at all when they first start? Maybe on the first Desktop A nice looking icon that stands out saying begin here?

Im still ranting in my head about the HTML idea. Being so good at knowing what pple want need and listen to I really think it would work well. Wed just have to make it Look freidnly and helpfull and pple would go Wow Look what puppy starts you out with Windows doesnt do this and they would take more intrest.

The major thing about being a Underdog and makign it to the Top is GETTING YOUR NAME OUR THERE and standing out. One part of getting your name out there is Being unique And Noticable. If this HTML had Links to all things puppy IN USE ORDER meaning first this website is good then when you get use to puppy then this websites good then Pple would be more comfy with it.

I just wish Pple would listen To meh lol i see mass potential And I know Exactly how to get there lol.
~Puppy Linux~ Where mans best friend becomes PCs best friend

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#22 Post by Flash »

Alucard_the_dex wrote:Good idea but 4th desktop? I personal HARDLY use different desktops from being so use to windows and would pple see that at all when they first start? Maybe on the first Desktop A nice looking icon that stands out saying begin here?
Good point; the idea of multiple desktops is completely new to someone who has used only Windows. :?
The major thing about being a Underdog and making it to the Top is GETTING YOUR NAME OUR THERE and standing out. One part of getting your name out there is Being unique And Noticable. If this HTML had Links to all things puppy IN USE ORDER meaning first this website is good then when you get use to puppy then this websites good then Pple would be more comfy with it.

I just wish pple would listen to me lol i see mass potential and I know exactly how to get there lol.
:lol: On the other hand, if there is anything that drives me nuts it's vaporware. I've paid good money for programs that didn't do what the box said they would. "GETTING YOUR NAME OUR THERE and standing out" is best done by taking care of business, and Barry's doing a hell of a good job of that. If Puppy works well and fulfills all expectations, Puppy won't have to pound its own drum or toot its own horn.

Besides, the forum is hard enough to administer now. :wink:

Alucard_the_dex

#23 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

LOL very True and i also respect and am impressed and Happy with how well Barry is Doing.

On The note of puppy Tooting its own horn, Not so Im not Saying Should toot its own horn and at that im fusing two ideas into one.

If Puppy had a HTML that Came with it explaining itself its websites its background where you can learn more and links it would be a little resource guide so to speak.

A program starting its first run with a video tutorial things isnt tooting its own horn necessarily no? But with so much experience ive found videos interrupting me to be annoying and prefer the Tips and tricks to be better yet less informative.

A HTML "beginners guide" would be like the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy for puppy. lol

Seth

#24 Post by Seth »

Flash wrote:
Alucard_the_dex wrote:Good idea but 4th desktop? I personal HARDLY use different desktops from being so use to windows and would pple see that at all when they first start? Maybe on the first Desktop A nice looking icon that stands out saying begin here?
Good point; the idea of multiple desktops is completely new to someone who has used only Windows. :?
O.o I used to use 20 desktops under winblows, but then again exploder was my filemanager not my shell.... i used bblean.....

anyway, `Dex is right, we need somethign to help guide, maybe a shortcut to the ever expanding universe at large ;)

anyway my .00000000002 cents

sean

rarsa

#25 Post by rarsa »

Havent you seen Lobster's welcome application?

That's the main intention.

Alucard_the_dex

#26 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

no? or do you mean the wizard wizard?

aahhaaa

#27 Post by aahhaaa »

couple things...

for dial-uppers, 60 M is a big but do-able download (about 3 hrs for me, I've had larger AV dls). A full package of the new Flashes & html pages would be a far smaller dl, say under 3 megs or so, and then it could be placed on the same CD too for reference. Particularly the stuff about modem configging, and troubleshooting stock installations.

Personally, I tried out the desktops first thing; maybe a short thing about differences between Puppy and whinedoze... took me quite a while to stop doubleclicking & opening two of everything.

Dex- how can I put this politely? :D if you are going to write instruction, you 'll be needing a spellchecker :D

Alucard_the_dex

#28 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

:roll: ANYWHO Whos up for it?

aahhaaa

#29 Post by aahhaaa »

Alucard_the_dex

#30 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Mhm Cool

Alucard_the_dex

#31 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Im gonna try to make a no thrills demo version of what im thinking about so ya.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

rarsa wrote:Havent you seen Lobster's welcome application?

That's the main intention.
Welcome 2 Puppy
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=25963#25963

:D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Alucard_the_dex

#33 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Idk If my surrender was marked jerk alert for any certain reason but might as well take a hint and try to continue. I mainly got the idea from the dillo splash screen. Its Simple Has Information on Dillo the type your using and links to everything Dillo. Was just thinking it would be a handy tool for puppy to have seeing as to how The websites are scattered from the main puppy page to personal pages pple put up for puppy themselves.

aahhaaa

#34 Post by aahhaaa »

well, the header here has changed? anyway...

at least we don't get anything like this, mebbe we should be grateful:

Member geekchic had another tech support nightmare come true: "We were going to give [a user] a new nifty 19-inch flat screen....Well, she immediately freaked out and got very upset....She finally blurted out in a shaky voice, 'You can't take that monitor, all of my data is in there.'

from today's TechRepublic email...

rarsa

#35 Post by rarsa »

I would not blame the poor user. This reminds me of the Cave alegorys as described by Plato many thousand years ago on a Sunny Tuesday 10 am. :)

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~wldciv/world_c ... plato.html

What is reality buy perception?

Actually an amazing number of users Think that the monitor is the computer and the big box underneat is the Hard disk drive.

puppian

#36 Post by puppian »

Alucard_the_dex wrote:Im gonna try to make a no thrills demo version of what im thinking about so ya.
Besides Lobster's excellent welcome program 8) these may help too :D

http://puppylinux.org/user/faq.php?cat_id=2 (great job J_Rey)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/puplinks (a bit outdated, but anyone can edit and expand it)
http://puppylinux.org/user/weblinks.php (anyone can add links after registration)
http://puppylinux.org/user/articles.php?cat_id=1 (anyone can submit articles after registration)
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005

Alucard_the_dex

#37 Post by Alucard_the_dex »

Exactly it would be a simply screen with with links to everythign puppy. @.@

sveitserosten :)

HTML Beginners guide as default homepages?

#38 Post by sveitserosten :) »

Some thoughts about this long long thread - I start with the fun:

"Discombobulated"... I understand this word... and I can use it... but the next one:
"prounantidisestablishmentarianismisationess"
LOL ... :roll:
it will take me at least a month to learn how to
pronounce this word ...
I simply love the humour in this forum ... :) :D

#39 Post by sveitserosten :) »

In these two answers to this thread (the first one from rarsa, the second one from Ian (an official dog handler :) - both are on page 1) - everything is already answered...
First: Maybe some people simpy do not dare to write... they underestimate themselves or their own knowledge...
Second: Whoever worked in the IT field and had a second level hotline to answer knows: there are people who simply do not or are not able to read "How-to`s", even if they get an M$ word document with detailed instructions and screenshots in their mailbox... the do NOT even open it, and then they call or write to the helpline or forum. I guess with this fact each and every forum has to deal...

The language in this forum:
Most of the users here have english as their mother tongue (I guess...).
But for example for someone with french and / or german as mother tongue the word "noob" sounds very offensive. Why not using the word
"newbie" ???
Also typos are hard to understand... HUH .... :?:

#40 Post by sveitserosten :) »

Alucard_the_dex wrote:
kSo we have pointed out the the Basic problems we are trying to solve.

1. How to Inform noobs with info before they post
2. How to teach them to post nicely
3. How to make them do research before posting

My answers to this:

To nr. 1. and nr. 3: For almost each and every problem concerning PUPPY there is an answer and there is even a search functionality in this forum ...
For the rest of the questions (concerning Linux or Unix) - there are lots of search engines in the internet...
I think questions of new users should be answered with links to the pages where their questions are already answered.

To nr. 2: I really hope I did not offend anyone... I simply wrote what I thought.
If my posts are not correct, please write it here or PM me.