Wary Release Candidate (104) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
DaveS

#21 Post by DaveS »

Sage wrote:
The guy is just trying to help
So am I ! My scroll button is wearing out.
LOL... scroll finger RSI :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

neurino

#22 Post by neurino »

Happy to say my cd recorder now works, with PBurn too (post)

Thank you

gerry

#23 Post by gerry »

How do I use a delta file when I've got it?

thanks... Gerry

neurino

#24 Post by neurino »

Use XDelta you find in Utility :wink:

DaveS

#25 Post by DaveS »

gerry wrote:How do I use a delta file when I've got it?

thanks... Gerry
Put the delta file in the same directory as the original .iso file, then click on the delta file. Follow the onscreen prompts fro there.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gerry

#26 Post by gerry »

Hmmm...

The original iso is (a) on a cd, being used in live cd mode, or (b) in the downloads folder on my wife's Microsoft computer. This is because my Puppy computer has a read-only cd/dvd drive, so I have to burn iso to cd on the MS machine.

So at the moment both the 102 iso file and the 102>104 delta file are on the MS machine. Will the update work if I put both iso's onto a usb stick, copy both iso's into Puppy (on the Puppy machine), open/run/whatever the delta iso, copy the result back to the usb stick, use the MS machine to burn result to a cd, and boot up Puppy from that?

Or easier to download the 104 iso, I think.

Gerry

neurino

#27 Post by neurino »

gerry wrote: Or easier to download the 104 iso, I think.
I think too... if you have DSL

smokey01

#28 Post by smokey01 »

gerry this should make it easy to follow.

If you put the iso and diff file on the usb stick it should work fine. Make sure both files are in the same directory on the usb stick.

http://www.smokey01.com/grant/diff-files.mpeg

abushcrafter

#29 Post by abushcrafter »

My Ethernet card: "02:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)". Now works again :).
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

Dexter1

3G HDSPA Modem Huawei E1550 works on Wary 1.0.4

#30 Post by Dexter1 »

I upgraded today from version 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 and can confirm that the Huawei E1550 works perfectly.The only thing is that it must be plugged in first when the system has booted up.
I also tested the ICON 225 3G modem but didnt get it to work.
It recognized the modem and the PGPRS Connect is going further than before.It was configured as /dev/ttyHS0 It runs down to *99***1# stops there a few seconds trying to connect(i think) then it goes off.
I think the solution must be near for the Puppy developers.
Or is it a configuration fault from me?

gerry

#31 Post by gerry »

@smokey01- failure all round!

The link you gave downloaded ok, but would not play. Does it assume the presence of a Seamonkey add-on that I don't have?

Anyway, put both files from the MS computer into a folder on the usb stick, and plugged it into Puppy. Followed instructions, and it said that it had created wary-104.iso. But I can't find it! Not on the usb stick, not anywhere else. So I did it again, with the folder in root directory. Same thing. Where can it have got to? PFind can't find it. Tried looking at hidden files, still no.

I suppose it could be permissions on the folder- I'll check and update.
EDIT: permissions look ok.

gerry

gerry

#32 Post by gerry »

OK- done it. It seems that it was getting the 102.iso and the delta file from the MS machine to the Puppy machine by using a usb stick was the problem. Instead I put the files into a share directory on the MS machine, used PNethood to mount it, and copied the files across. Everything then worked. I used the usb stick to transfer file back to MS machine, then burnt iso to cd, and update is proceeding. (Yes I'm using MS for this post.)

gerry

smokey01

#33 Post by smokey01 »

gerry wrote:@smokey01- failure all round!

The link you gave downloaded ok, but would not play. Does it assume the presence of a Seamonkey add-on that I don't have?
It's just a MPEG video file so it should work ok under Windows or puppy.
You could download it by right clicking on the file then playing it in either windows media player or Gxine, Xine, VLC, gnome-mplayer etc.
Anyway, put both files from the MS computer into a folder on the usb stick, and plugged it into Puppy. Followed instructions, and it said that it had created wary-104.iso. But I can't find it! Not on the usb stick, not anywhere else. So I did it again, with the folder in root directory. Same thing. Where can it have got to? PFind can't find it. Tried looking at hidden files, still no.

I suppose it could be permissions on the folder- I'll check and update.
EDIT: permissions look ok.

gerry

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

There has been a slight change in USB behaviour with Wary 104. In previous Puppies/Quirkies, it didn't matter if my printer-scanner was turned on or off at boot time. Either way, it was properly detected.

With Wary 104, I get varying effects when the scanner is already on at boot up. With my Canon unit, "Loading drivers" produces the line of red dots. But the scanner is detected.

With my HP unit, it is not detected at all and requires an off/on.

I believe that other people have reported odd USB behaviours.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#35 Post by BarryK »

rjbrewer wrote:Still needs this fix to make rox-clicking work right;

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 682#468682
I don't want to implement that fix.

I did try it and got errors in Rox, windows freezing. I have also read that this "fix" can cause trouble.

So, I have to put this one on hold for now.

After Wary Final is out, I will get onto the Rox developers to see if it can get fixed finally -- it was only partly fixed before.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#36 Post by BarryK »

taca0 wrote:BarryK:

Please make a Xorg server 1.4.2 upgrade pet option ??

I test it and its faster than other but I need the graphics stability . I cant compile that stuff.
There is a xorg-server 1.6.0 upgrade PET -- run the X upgrade wizard.

It is designed for upgrading the Intel video.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: 3G HDSPA Modem Huawei E1550 works on Wary 1.0.4

#37 Post by BarryK »

Dexter1 wrote:I upgraded today from version 1.0.2 to 1.0.4 and can confirm that the Huawei E1550 works perfectly.The only thing is that it must be plugged in first when the system has booted up.
I also tested the ICON 225 3G modem but didnt get it to work.
It recognized the modem and the PGPRS Connect is going further than before.It was configured as /dev/ttyHS0 It runs down to *99***1# stops there a few seconds trying to connect(i think) then it goes off.
I think the solution must be near for the Puppy developers.
Or is it a configuration fault from me?
A bell just rang in my head... if I recall, doesn't that ICON 225 3G modem use the 'hso' kernel module?

You can type 'lsmod' in a terminal to see loaded modules.

There is a possibility that the 'hso' module does not work. In that case, the 'option' module might work. Can you try this:

1. Unplug modem.
2. Menu -> System -> BootManager
3. Blacklist the 'hso' module
4. Reboot
5. Plugin the modem

...hopefully you will get a popup showing it recognised.

Then try pupdial again. If no go, try the gprs app.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#38 Post by BarryK »

gerry wrote:OK- done it. It seems that it was getting the 102.iso and the delta file from the MS machine to the Puppy machine by using a usb stick was the problem. Instead I put the files into a share directory on the MS machine, used PNethood to mount it, and copied the files across. Everything then worked. I used the usb stick to transfer file back to MS machine, then burnt iso to cd, and update is proceeding. (Yes I'm using MS for this post.)

gerry
Note that the Xdelta GUI supports drag-and-drop. Wherever the two files are, drag them into the two boxes in the GUI and click the GENERATE button -- the wary-104.iso will get created at the same location as the .delta file (if I remember rightly).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#39 Post by BarryK »

rcrsn51 wrote:There has been a slight change in USB behaviour with Wary 104. In previous Puppies/Quirkies, it didn't matter if my printer-scanner was turned on or off at boot time. Either way, it was properly detected.

With Wary 104, I get varying effects when the scanner is already on at boot up. With my Canon unit, "Loading drivers" produces the line of red dots. But the scanner is detected.

With my HP unit, it is not detected at all and requires an off/on.

I believe that other people have reported odd USB behaviours.
I can't think what has changed that would cause any difference from Wary 102 or earlier.

I have a problem right now, as I am in Melbourne. I want to get Wary 5.0 Final out soon, so some issues might have to be tackled afterward, perhaps as a 5.1 bugfix release.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#40 Post by BarryK »

DaveS wrote:Awful problems with seamonkey scroll delay and display splitting.... sorry!
I don't have any noticeable scrolling delay, using 'intel' Xorg driver.

So, you guys who have this problem, is it with 'vesa' or 'Xvesa' drivers?

Also, is it only with the this latest SeaMonkey 2.0.11? Wary 102 and earlier uses SM 2.0.7.

If it turns out to be a problem with SM 2.0.11 then I will do a quick fix and roll SM back. Then I can worry about a better fix after 5.0-final is out -- like the new beta version.