XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
frourio

#201 Post by frourio »

Hi Fred,

Sorry for the late reply. Got bogged down with other work tasks.

Sounds like there's a lot of history, legacy, and politics in regards to the beginnings of XenialDog. In any case, many thanks to all those involved in whichever way. It's pretty solid.

So in regards to the problem of mounting media with 'myuser':

1) I go to PCMANFM
2) I see two instances of the same drive I want to mount over on the left. (e.g. my external hard drive)
3) I click on either instance
4) I get this message for instance 1: "Error opening directory '/mnt/sdb': Permission denied"
5) I get this message for instance 2: "Not authorized to perform operation (polkit authority not available and caller is not uid 0)"

Also, when I click on instance 1 and get the above error message, it shows the drive as mounted (but with no contents aside from the error message dialog box) and instance 2 mysteriously disappears. When I unmount it, instance 2 reappears once again.

fredx181

#202 Post by fredx181 »

Sorry frourio, I can't repruduce the errors you got.
And besides that:
See next post.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#203 Post by fredx181 »

@All

Sorry to say, but I marked this thread as [CLOSED]

Those who have followed a little about what happened in the past (saintless<>fredx181) can probably guess why.
I don't feel like replying in this thread anymore, so IMO closing it is the right thing to do.
Also I have some other reasons, e.g. it's too much time consuming doing things almost all solely, that was OK while it was fun for me, but it isn't anymore now.

To quote B-B King:
"The thrill is gone"

And to quote Frank Zappa partially:
"The Dogs are not dead, they just smell funny"
(originally: "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny")

Sorry again, and see you later maybe.

Fred

EDIT: To clarify some more about why I closed this thread:
I feel that when you start a thread you are responsible to watch it for replies.
But I'm fed up reading replies from certain persons, to say it as polite as possible: "Not my style of communication" Or "Talking nonsense" (see for example below next post)

So I simply "freed" myself from having to read the bullsh*t.
Bye!
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

anikin

#204 Post by anikin »

fredx181 wrote:@All

Sorry to say, but I marked this thread as [CLOSED]

Those who have followed a little about what happened in the past (saintless<>fredx181) can probably guess why.
I don't feel like replying in this thread anymore, so IMO closing it is the right thing to do.
Also I have some other reasons, e.g. it's too much time consuming doing things almost all solely, that was OK while it was fun for me, but it isn't anymore now.

To quote B-B King:
"The thrill is gone"

And to quote Frank Zappa partially:
"The Dogs are not dead, they just smell funny"
(originally: "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny")

Sorry again, and see you later maybe.

Fred

This and all the other "Dog" threads are part and parcel of The DebianDog Project. Saintless (Toni) is the one who started The DD Project. Closing, or starting any subprojects is Toni's prerogative, not yours. Doing otherwise is a violation of the norms of decency and betrayal of trust.

As I have told you many times before: Start Your Own Project. Call it Amstel/Portwine/Rubber Duck, but please, Stop Playing Games!

fredx181

#205 Post by fredx181 »

Re-opened again because I agree with this:
mcewanw wrote:As I say, all dogs are community projects; no-one can ask for that work to be locked or deleted without agreement from the other contributors.
Fred

r3muxd

#206 Post by r3muxd »

Is this still being maintained?

mikeslr

Maintained -- just quiet

#207 Post by mikeslr »

Hi r3muxd,

XenialDog was created employing the same kernel and binaries as Ubuntu Xenial Xerus, and via synaptic and/or apt accesses the repositories of the same.

Xenial Xerus is a version of Ubuntu for which Ubuntu will provide Long Term support thru 2021, I think April. Long Term support includes bug-fixes and security patches.

Only expect postings to this thread when someone has something unique concerning XenialDog 64, itself.

mikesLr

mikeslr

How can you add xfce4-panel?

#208 Post by mikeslr »

Hi fredx181 & all,

A while back, you posted "...The Whisker Menu is a plugin for xfce4-panel, so if you install it (and the xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin) it can be used on any distro..." http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 925#952925.

Well, I figured out how to add xfce4-panel to Puppies and get them to display/function. And while downloading the necessary files via apt, especially synaptic, and probably Apt2SFS appears to be simple, I'm at a complete loss as to how to get them to display/function, i.e, include them as an option along with the other GUI options built into XenialDog.

Any ideas?

mikesLr

fredx181

#209 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,
Well, I figured out how to add xfce4-panel to Puppies and get them to display/function. And while downloading the necessary files via apt, especially synaptic, and probably Apt2SFS appears to be simple, I'm at a complete loss as to how to get them to display/function, i.e, include them as an option along with the other GUI options built into XenialDog.
For example (depending on which desktop mode you have set) in case the default, edit "/root/.config/openbox/tint2p" to: (change: tint2 & to xfce4-panel &)

Code: Select all

# Set the desktop background and icons
nitrogen --restore &
sleep 1

# Top panel
tint2 -c $HOME/.config/tint2/tint2rcl &

# Bottom panel
# tint2 & # commented out now
xfce4-panel &
What the "desktop-manager" does to switch mode, is creating symlink 'set-desktop' to another config file, e.g. to rox-pinbd, pcman, cairod, etc.. inside ~/.config/openbox/

Fred

Moat

#210 Post by Moat »

In my 32 bit XenialDog running Openbox/LXPanel, I just launch it with a simple shellscript in /root/Startup;

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

xfce4-panel
... and just shorten the bottom LXPanel's left end enough to accommodate a bit of xfce-panel in it's empty place (just enough for Whisker's button) - works a treat for me, anyway.

Bob

mikeslr

#211 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks fred, moat,

Ah, config 8) Still learning its mysteries and power. :) IMHO, more elegant than

Add to Startup + shorten the bottom panel. :shock: That's actually how I managed it in Puppies. :oops:

I started exploring in XenialDog. After running into the problem, switched to XenialPup with which I am more familiar. Figured it out. But it didn't occur to me that what worked in one might work in the other. :oops:

Thanks again. Not just for the specific information, but for the realization that what I know about one OS may be useful in another. And for the idea that what's written to the config folder may actually have something to do with configurations.

mikesLr

wiak

#212 Post by wiak »

Despite the peasywifi author's sarcasm, which I find painful and unnecessary, I decided to give peasywifi ver 4.4 a try on my XenialDog64 system since I have never managed to get wifibox to autoconnect on boot on that distribution (always works fine on xenialdog32 for me though...) and frisbee has proved unreliable on my Toshiba Satellite system generally.

I had/have problems though. Much of that because I don't/didn't know how to install the peasywifi deb so been mucking around and finally have peasywifi even autoconnecting, but... I don't have any network connection icon anymore so hope someone can tell me where I went wrong and how to fix. Here is roughly what I did:

I downloaded the peasywifi 4.4 deb that was recently uploaded by Fred.

I tried installing that on my xenialdog64 system but it seemed to fail, maybe cos it is for i386 I guessed.

I then right-clicked that and extracted the deb to its own folder. I don't know much at all about debs but after searching in the extracted folder I noted there was a Debian Control file with i386 inside it - I changed that reference to amd64 (I've seen that mentioned somewhere but remember not where...)

Was totally stuck what to do next but after much right-clicking and checking options I came across a Build.deb option and somehow that worked in the sense that a new amd64 deb appeared to be built...

I right click installed that, and to my amazement it installed!

Then I had a lot of trouble working out how to use Peasywifi to connect, but noted everything the Help button documented, and to my even greater amazement, it seemed to connect. There was a network icon at this stage, but when I right-clicked on that and went to setup network, wifibox appeared!! So I decided my mistake was that I hadn't removed the previous wifibox, so I did apt-get purge wifibox and rebooted.

Then I started up peasywifi again and went through the Help button instructions, including about getting it all to autoconnect (took ages puzzling it all out actually - including making/saving a profile...). But long story short, when I then rebooted again, it autoconnected!!! But one problem - no longer is there any network connect icon in the bottom panel... so close, so far....

Anyone know where I have gone wrong - it is connecting and automatically on reboot, but I want that network icon back!

wiak

fredx181

#213 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak,

The peasywifi version shared in the Trintydog thread is not for Xenialdog and also not for 64-bit.
Don't know if there is a 64-bit version of peasywifi_tray (32-bit version in ~/Startup doesn't work, that explains why no system-tray icon showed for you), if so I can work on a peasywifi 64 package (needs also some more adjustments for Xenialdog, e.g. disable wifi-box etc...)

PS. I didn't see any sarcasm from rcrsn51, but anyway, please let's try not to get personal, the dog threads have suffered more than enough from personal attacks, no more!!

Fred

rcrsn51

#214 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the source code and build script for peasywifi_tray. It uses the icon peasywifi-24.png which is in the main package.
Attachments
peasywifi_tray_source.tar.gz
(647 Bytes) Downloaded 74 times

fredx181

#215 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is the source code and build script for peasywifi_tray. It uses the icon peasywifi-24.png which is in the main package.
Thanks!
@wiak, all
I will make eventually peasywifi Xenialdog packages, but not now yet. (focussing on other things I'd like to finish first).

Fred

belham2

#216 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:.....focusing on other things I'd like to finish first.

Fred

What the heck are you currently working on now? :D You are a machine, Fred, pumping us poor cowboys all these DDoggies & even letting us kneel at the Holy "Trinity" (haha) Church to say our Linux blessings!

Are you putting together a Budgie-Debian-Dog or something?? Or maybe doing 64-bit Trinity(s) or what?? :wink:

I can barely keep up!!!! :twisted:

fredx181

#217 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:
fredx181 wrote:.....focusing on other things I'd like to finish first.

Fred

What the heck are you currently working on now? :D You are a machine, Fred, pumping us poor cowboys all these DDoggies & even letting us kneel at the Holy "Trinity" (haha) Church to say our Linux blessings!

Are you putting together a Budgie-Debian-Dog or something?? Or maybe doing 64-bit Trinity(s) or what?? :wink:

I can barely keep up!!!! :twisted:
HaHa :) No, no new dog version (there are more than enough now)
Now I'm working on a variation of "MakeLive" http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110069 for Stretch, but it should be much easier to do than the Jessie howto (now using debootstrap rather than full install)
Ok, I'll take a sabbatical year after I finished that, uh... sabbatical month is OK also maybe? :wink:

Fred

wiak

#218 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Hi wiak,

The peasywifi version shared in the Trintydog thread is not for Xenialdog and also not for 64-bit.
Don't know if there is a 64-bit version of peasywifi_tray (32-bit version in ~/Startup doesn't work, that explains why no system-tray icon showed for you), if so I can work on a peasywifi 64 package (needs also some more adjustments for Xenialdog, e.g. disable wifi-box etc...)
That's fine. I can live without the peasywifi tray for now - meanwhile, I am happy to confirm peasywifi working fine in XenialDog64 per my previous post following my manually removing wifibox with apt-get purge. Have only tried it with wifi so don't know if detects ethernet (didn't think it would since not called peasynetconnect or similar) I have hardly compiled much before (simple example once and too long ago) so I'll wait for yourselves to produce definitive peasywifi version with 64bit peasywifi tray for XenialDog64 later.

wiak

fredx181

#219 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak,

Here's already peasywifi tray 64-bit binary, extract and replace (if existing 32-bit) in ~/Startup
Making a 64-bit peasywifi package requires more thoughts for me about how to handle, e.g. if a user has frisbee or any other networkmanager installed, so comes later.
Good that peasywifi works for you!

Fred
Attachments
peasywifi_tray.tar.gz
peasywifi_tray 64-bit
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

wiak

#220 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Hi wiak,

Here's already peasywifi tray 64-bit binary, extract and replace (if existing 32-bit) in ~/Startup
Thanks, peasywifi now works fine for me (including autoconnect on reboot and also the new 64bit peasywifi tray).

wiak