ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
hamoudoudou

Open with is now full featured with apps

#241 Post by hamoudoudou »

Open with is now full featured with apps. Bien :!:
Wireless : my operator is Ok without addins pet with kernel 4.9.56. But people suscribers of SFR ( a french supplier) will be asked to stay home if they need wireless.
SFR : Société Française de Radiodiffusion.
Desktop not freezing untill now
Precord missing. Videos are generally commented 'a posteriori'. We need Precord
SSR now should be the default screencaster. pAVrecord is old fashioned and not easy to use. Ask Mike Walsh.
+ SSR - pAVrecord = Less than 2MB if :?: (Qt here)

Think about a Public release not for your colleagues, not for programming, removing all stuff for devs, as selling a car without tools used to build the car..

/usr/local/apps : Rox_filer
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 12:22, edited 3 times in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#242 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I downloaded the Artfulpup-17.10.01_plus.iso from ally's mirror here :)
https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Artfulpup

Nice to see the upgrade from Zesty to Artful. Got some pauses in Light at first but just waited them out. Wallpaper looks good.

Random: hexchat says zesty-user when you log on

davids45

ArtfulPup artful

#243 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I am now posting (in Seamonkey) from ArtfulPup171001 which is running well.

I removed the default U browser as my sfs of browsers has U in it. I needed to add a couple of libs (libgtk & libgdk) to get my U running so perhaps the "Remove built-in packages" application took these libs out as well as the original U.

My collections of applications in several boot-loaded large sfs are fine as well, as is printing and scanning with my multi-function Epson XP-200.

Thank you, peebee.

David S.

mavrothal

#244 Post by mavrothal »

Very brief test on ArtfulPup (++ . Congrats) indicates issues with PPM.
Try to install Breeze_5.10.5 as an example.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

bigpup

#245 Post by bigpup »

peebee wrote:Artful 17.10.01++ which fixes the light / apulse / youtube issue....I believe
Light now plays Youtube video with no problems for me.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#246 Post by bigpup »

Artful 17.10.01++

Get_libreoffice

After selecting version of Libreoffice to install.
Get message in green to please wait.
That's it.
No download or install.

Running get_libreoffice in terminal get this after doing the above.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(32.22 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

peebee

#247 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Very brief test on ArtfulPup (++ . Congrats) indicates issues with PPM.
Only problem I see is that Breeze is 162 packages = 211MB - i.e. tries to install most of Ubuntu-17.10 :?
Appropriate to add to a Pup??
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#248 Post by peebee »

+3 delta available

also devx

n.b. with these "new style" + deltas all you have to do is apply the delta, open the + iso and then overwrite the puppy_artfulpup_17.10.01.sfs in your frugal install and reboot - there is no version update.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#249 Post by peebee »

bigpup wrote:Artful 17.10.01++
Get_libreoffice
Works for me after pupsave creation and reboot....

Doesn't support pupmode=5 - should be an error message but it doesn't appear...

remove "killall yaf-splash && "
from line 253 of /usr/sbin/get_libreoffice
and an error message appears....although wording is perhaps not correct?

separating onto 2 lines works - .pet in repo updated....
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(74.73 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

LateAdopter

#250 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello peebee, thanks for this. It's my first 32 bit Puppy since Pemasu's Precise372. I plan to try Wine on it to see if I can get my 16 bit Excel to run.
Only problem I see is that Breeze is 162 packages = 211MB - i.e. tries to install most of Ubuntu-17.10
I notice that the ffmpeg libav versions are 56 whereas Artful is 57, also there is no GTK3. So I expect installing from Ubuntu Artful repos will bring a lot of extra bits.

Artfulpup loads the modesetting driver rather than the intel_drv, which is present. So I don't get DRI3. I can't see where modesetting is specified in the maze of .conf files. Do you know how to get the Intel driver back. please?

Could you make CONFIG_X86_MSR=y in your DOTconfig, when you next build a kernel, please? It's needed for intel_pstate. Making pstate fall back on ACPI or whatever, may be why some people have problems with it.

artsown

#251 Post by artsown »

Installed artful+3 and was impressed wth the clock date-time selections.
I think it would give a professional appearance to have the clock
set to a date-time format by default.

Have installed stuff via both PPM and pets without any signs of problems.

I'm curious, peebee. I'll ask again why you don't include a flash player
installer/updater like other pups include. Those doing serious surfing using
Light or Seamonkey or Firefox, etc., may still want flash for some time yet.

Art
Last edited by artsown on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#252 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Very brief test on ArtfulPup (++ . Congrats) indicates issues with PPM.
Only problem I see is that Breeze is 162 packages = 211MB - i.e. tries to install most of Ubuntu-17.10 :?
Actually I'm talking about 8 packages being selected as "packages to install" instead of 1 (see pick)

Changing "grep -F $TREE1" to "grep ^$TREE1" on line 136 of pkg_chooser.sh should fix that so no extra packages will be installed.
But I guess is pretty uncommon to have the exact same package name and version as part of another package (the culprit in this case)
Attachments
Breeze.png
(106.44 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#253 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Changing "grep -F $TREE1" to "grep ^$TREE1" on line 136 of pkg_chooser.sh should fix that so no extra packages will be installed.
Sounds like a woof-ce github pull request is required.....

peebee

#254 Post by peebee »

artsown wrote:why you don't include a flash player
installer/updater like other pups include.
Because it quickly becomes out of date as Adobe rearrange their websites....

Therefore always better to install the latest version via PPM....

I'll maybe include the dummy get_flash that I include in LxPupSc....

peebee

#255 Post by peebee »

LateAdopter wrote:I notice that the ffmpeg libav versions are 56 whereas Artful is 57, also there is no GTK3
That's because we had to roll back ffmpeg to 2.8.11 - see earlier in the thread...gtk+3 comes in my browser sfs's if its needed...in a cut-down version - in most cases we don't need full gtk+3.

Sailor Enceladus

#256 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mavrothal wrote:
peebee wrote:
Actually I'm talking about 8 packages being selected as "packages to install" instead of 1 (see pick)

Changing "grep -F $TREE1" to "grep ^$TREE1" on line 136 of pkg_chooser.sh should fix that so no extra packages will be installed.
But I guess is pretty uncommon to have the exact same package name and version as part of another package (the culprit in this case)
That happened to me too when I tried to install wine-development-2.18 in this iso from ppm, it picked libwine-development-2.18 too into the right column. I thought it was because both were needed, but looking at your image I guess it picks the others because it has the same string in the name as you mentioned. :)

LateAdopter

#257 Post by LateAdopter »

LateAdopter wrote:Artfulpup loads the modesetting driver rather than the intel_drv, which is present. So I don't get DRI3. I can't see where modesetting is specified in the maze of .conf files. Do you know how to get the Intel driver back. please?
I've fixed it!

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  Driver      "intel"
  VendorName  "INTEL Corporation"
  Option "DRI" "3"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "false"
  Option "TearFree" "false"
EndSection
I had Device0 rather than Card0 which is in the main xorg.conf. Now I get DRI3 and SNA instad of Glamor.

Another minor peculiarity:
When I have mounted my USB stick, clicking the unmount symbol on the drive icon often opens a new window rather than unmounting. Right clicking and selecting unmount sdb1 works correctly.

artsown

#258 Post by artsown »

artsown wrote:
why you don't include a flash player
installer/updater like other pups include.

Because it quickly becomes out of date as Adobe rearrange their websites....

Therefore always better to install the latest version via PPM....

I'll maybe include the dummy get_flash that I include in LxPupSc....
AH! Thanks :)

Art

peebee

#259 Post by peebee »

Does anybody understand how Ubuntu works???

I was concerned that ArtfulPup was showing openssl at 1.0.2g when Slackware Current is at 1.0.2l.....

However 1.0.2g appears to be the version in Artful! - https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/openssl and Zesty and Xenial...

Why haven't they updated to 1.0.2l for a new release?? I know that they never change version numbers once a release has happened although we are lead to believe that they do backport security updates whilst keeping the same old version number - all very confusing and misleading.

But surely Artful should have been released with openssl-1.0.2l as its base?? Have they diverted so far from the base that they're unable to change to the most up-to-date version? It's been 1.0.2g since Xenial...!!

Or do they only update every 2 years at LTS release time? 2 years is a long time in software development!

hamoudoudou

Ubuntu LTS is four years at least.

#260 Post by hamoudoudou »

Ubuntu LTS is four years at least. Lot Of Puppy Linux Are still based on Tahr.
Ubuntu is Still used by Workers in some Firms or administrations as 'Gendarmerie' . Our poor 'gendarmes are not geeks. and failed lot of times in using the Linux OS. If You re-install Ubuntu new version each two years, they will be learning all the time, for what they are not paid for, with our money.
as i am not a 'Gendarme' i can spent time updating my Puppy Linux OS.

I am very glad that our Puppies begin to be loaded in Maghreb (FR spoken) North Africa, that was my job (Espoir de Figuig (Maroc) Assistance of cities in Morocco, including Educational Help)

Lucid 5.2.8 is still used in schools, teachers has to teach first, and not getting addict to puppy building (body-building, Puppy-building : is that correct ?)
Artful :
Rox_filer : as i prefer old version i pike it in USR/local/APPs from first Zesty and i poke it in the new Artfulpup.
Acces rights ate pushed out the window to get the column 'sizes' in better place.
Merci Charlie de m'avoir appris cette fonction :)

Mozilla-Light : Version 47 is default browser In Stretch, YouTube as audio and video working well without americanos del sur had to touch Linux structure. JoseJP2424 did it for them before releasing 'Stretch' You see what i mean, i am sure (Not Google translated, translated by me only)
Attachments
Support.jpg
Xenial : Help until 2021 (ubuntu flavour)
(42.77 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Tue 24 Oct 2017, 21:52, edited 2 times in total.