X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
keniv

#321 Post by keniv »

Re-downloading the iso did not work. Is there a check sum for it so as I can be sure its not corrupt. I'm downloading 166MB.
When I try to boot I get the same error which ends "error 15 file not found".

Ken.

raffy

initrd

#322 Post by raffy »

[quote="keniv"]I cannot boot 4.2r10 in this way.

Code: Select all

title XSl42r10 (sda1)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /42r10xsl/puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs
  kernel /42r10xsl/vmlinuz psubdir=42r10xsl pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /42r10xsl/initrd.gz
Shouldn't the "find" line end with initrd.gz instead of the sfs?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

mistfire

#323 Post by mistfire »

New iteration of x-slacko released

Changes:
* Overhauled puppy scripts for more consistent GUI and optimized for small screens.
* With Xorg.conf uefi fallback template.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... GdoaDN0cGs

Marv

#324 Post by Marv »

Downloaded R17 and updated R10 install detailed above. No issues noted. I did switch the foreground and background colors on the tooltips to be a bit less obtrusive, particularly in Midori where they can't be disabled so far as I can find out. Line 28 in /usr/share/themes/Redmond-Delta/gtk-2.0/gtkrc has the tooltip bg and fg colors.. I like Slim :!:

thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

keniv

#325 Post by keniv »

I've tried all the suggestions and the latest 4.2r17 but I still cannot boot these versions. Perhaps its my hardware. I'm afraid I have no option but to give up on trying to boot these. Thanks to those how helped me.

Regards,

Ken.

Sailor Enceladus

#326 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

keniv wrote:Re-downloading the iso did not work. Is there a check sum for it so as I can be sure its not corrupt. I'm downloading 166MB.

Ken.
The strange thing is that this is a grub4dos error not a kernel error (I think). It's like it can't find "42r10xsl" for some reason.

keniv

#327 Post by keniv »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
keniv wrote:Re-downloading the iso did not work. Is there a check sum for it so as I can be sure its not corrupt. I'm downloading 166MB.

Ken.
The strange thing is that this is a grub4dos error not a kernel error (I think). It's like it can't find "42r10xsl" for some reason.
Yes it seems not to be able to find the directory or perhaps it's contents. I've tried renaming the directory and the grub menu to match but nothing I've tried works. As I could boot the earlier xslacko slims I wonder if something has changed in the way the newer ones boot.

Regards,

Ken.

Pelo

Argolance has problems too, No solution found yet.

#328 Post by Pelo »

Yes something has changed, and could be the reason of your problems. And you are not the only one. Unfortunately I cannot help you, because boot on USB works well at home. Argolance has problems too, No solution found yet.
My idea is to load the main SFS on older Slacko.. version 4.1 or older. Just rename the SFS to fit the name required

mistfire

#329 Post by mistfire »

New iteration of x-slacko slim released

Changes:
* bugfixes
* updates on PPM repos

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... XRsOGI4LTA

Sage

#330 Post by Sage »

-r27: netsurf loads but is missing libcurl.so.4 from all directories?
Iceweasel not available either. Not sure of its present status vis-a-vis FF?

keniv

#331 Post by keniv »

Hello All,
I can boot this one (42r25) with more or less the same grub entry as I was using for the earlier versions of xslacko slim. I'm wondering if this was one of the bug fixes. Anyway thanks for this new iteration.

Regards,

Ken.

mistfire

How to build x-slacko slim

#332 Post by mistfire »

How to Build X-Slacko Slim

At first, X-Slacko Slim was manually built, hand-by-hand.

On the latest iteration, the X-Slacko Slim 4.2r series was built using automated script.

When building new x-slacko slim, you will need the following files:
1. Pristine x-slacko 4.2: http://www.smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/
2. Build kit: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... 1N6NXNUMkk

Take a note on the following files and folders in the build kit:
* contents - This a folder where the extracted packages to be installed to the system must be placed. Inside contents must be in linux file hierarchy standard for example: contents/usr, contents/bin, etc.

* dri-remove-list.txt - Contains the list of dri files to be deleted.
* pkg-remove-list.txt - Contains the list of applications and softwares to be deleted.
* rm-files-folders.txt - Contains the list of specific files and folders to be deleted. (wildcard character is allowed)

INSTRUCTIONS:
* Boot x-slacko on its pristine state.
* Download the build kit and extract it.
* Edit the following dri-remove-list.txt, pkg-remove-list.txt, and rm-files-folders.txt for customizations
* run setup.sh script. Make some customizations and click proceed to start modification process.
* Wait until modification is finished.
* Make some tweaks and modifications before starting the Puppy Remaster CD to create a customized puplet.

TAKE NOTE:
* When backup remove files is enabled. It tooks longer time to complete modification. Bigger disk space is required for this process.
* At least 512Mb RAM is required for building x-slacko slim
* For more details. look for README in the kit
Last edited by mistfire on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 12:57, edited 9 times in total.

zagreb999

synaptic for xslacko slim

#333 Post by zagreb999 »

regardas.
can you add
synaptic for xslacko slim?

thank you.

mistfire

#334 Post by mistfire »

@zagreb999 did you mean synaptics touchpad driver?

zagreb999

synaptic package manager instead ppm

#335 Post by zagreb999 »

synaptic package manager instead ppm

as in pupjibaro, debiandog

it is much better

mistfire

#336 Post by mistfire »

@zagreb999 I wonder if will work on slackware based puppy but I will give a try.

mistfire

#337 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Bugfixes on package management

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... zZxa0RJaVE

mistfire

#338 Post by mistfire »

@zagreb999 I tried synaptics on X-slacko but it does not work because of conflicts of library files. It means integrating on X-slacko slim is not possible. Synaptic works on debian-based puppy but X-slacko is slackware-based so it is incompatible.

If you want synaptic like package manager for puppy. Just install slapt-get and gslapt.

Sage

#339 Post by Sage »

Just a tad tedious not having DHCP set by default like most Puppies, particularly as subsequent SNS setup generates a spurious 'No network connection' message just before it does actually successfully connect, followed by persistence of the setup panel when it has become unnecessary! Cleaning up front material always gives a stronger impression of professionalism, just as in publishing in hard copy. Same thing with the initial setup panel which, with one exception, still shows a mixture of US and Perth defaults. Surely all defaults should be set for Perth, in deference?! Then there's the shutdown - it asks me if I want a save file when I already selected 'no savefile' from the boot parameters?! Pernickity, yes, but, first impressions and all that...

Pelo

synaptic tested with pupjibaro jessie.

#340 Post by Pelo »

synaptic tested with pupjibaro jessie. it's less efficient than PPM , and very poor.. it's only my opinion. And Slacko is slackware but that is not a no go. Mandibule build a fluxbox mixed with X-Slim Slacko and Ubuntu PPM.