TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
greengeek

#81 Post by greengeek »

smokey01 wrote:Posting from TazPupA5-4.k4-4.16.8 now.
I compiled kernel 4.16.8 as per mistfire's request and swapped it into Alpha 5..
I'm keen to trial it if you feel like making an iso available? MiddleAged Toshiba hardware here - 32bit with 2GB ram.

mistfire

#82 Post by mistfire »

Thank you very much @smokey01 I will downloaded that file later within few days

@sszindian Tazpup might be in indefinite release cycle once it was become matured due to time and resources constraint.

@don570 how do you manage to run tazpup on raspberry pi because it is an arm platform while tazpup was x86?

@rg66 Xdelta3 was now installed but I prefer full iso release rather than delta for the meantime

I found some bug to mime type regenration but it is now fixed on my latest experiment also. Puppy packages and other Linux packages are now showing on start menu upon installation
thanks to peebee's lxpup menu files

rg66

#83 Post by rg66 »

mistfire wrote: @rg66 Xdelta3 was now installed but I prefer full iso release rather than delta for the meantime
No worries, although it's easy to do both.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

smokey01

#84 Post by smokey01 »

Diff files are great, especially for people with limited bandwidth or slow connections.

Here is a little video I made many years ago to show how to apply a diff file to an ISO. To generate the diff file you simply drag the old ISO into old file area and the new ISO into the new file area and a diff file will be created in the same folder.

http://smokey01.com/videos/diff-files.mpeg

Diff file: http://smokey01.com/temp/tazpup-alpha-4 ... .iso.delta 7792165 bytes.

mistfire

#85 Post by mistfire »

@smokey01 using your compiled kernel in tazpup can you please view the files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/
vulnerabilities/ and send me the results from your computer

I already downloaded ng pre-compiled kernel and use it. When I read those files, it says that my processor is not affected of meltdown and spectre vulnerability.

Marv

#86 Post by Marv »

I've been running the past few versions and with the latest I have good persistence with a savefolder on my EXT2 data partition but haven't yet gotten there with a savefile on my fat32 boot partition. The information seems to be written correctly to the savefile but is not read on reboot.

Now that I have savefolder persistence, I've added in flsynclient for my laptop setup and a couple of other look'n'feel things. Don't have pmount working yet and would like it but once PCManFM is set up it does well enough.

I've played a bit with kernels. Peebees 4.16.x ran fine but I am currently running well with a 4.4.131 32bit made by Sailor Enceladus substituted in. I can't find the link right now :( It has full spectre and meltdown mitigation and is my current favorite for 'smaller' pups. A couple of things I observed doing the kernel swap. In your iso, the /lib/firmware directory seems to be carried twice, once in the main sfs and once in the stock zdv. When I swapped, I removed the directory in the main sfs and carried it only in the zdrv with no adverse effects seen. Most 'huge' kernels are set up this way. I also pulled the /lib/modules kernel drivers from the main sfs and let the zdrv carry them. Also in line with 'huge' kernel practice. The compression is the same in both cases so size shouldn't change. Just makes kernel swapping easier.

Biggest challenge for old me running tazpup is wrapping my head and fingers around not being root. I'm so used to the rest of the word being sandboxed/spotted/containerized and me root that I fumble the swtch to root and back to make system setup changes or additions.

All in all a bold and pretty stellar work IMO.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#87 Post by mistfire »

@Thanks Marv, @smokey noticed that about savefile issue but I wonder why they cant find the savefile on reboot on their computer. While using savefile works on my computer (savefile was saved in ntfs partition). Also autoappend '/' in psubdir was enabled when user specifies foldername only without '/' prefix

I hope that you find the link for @sailor enceladus' 4.4.131 precompiled kernel so I can test it

zagreb999

test

#88 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

hp laptop 64bit, 8 gb ram

test in fat32

load in uefi-ok
save -persistence -ok
wifi-ok
------
installed firefox 57- does not work

filemount of sfs not work....
-------------------
do you intend to:
use full lz4 compression,

quick remaster as in debiandog,
to create sfs files to be loaded...?

xfce version...?

wiak

#89 Post by wiak »

Marv wrote: Biggest challenge for old me running tazpup is wrapping my head and fingers around not being root. I'm so used to the rest of the word being sandboxed/spotted/containerized and me root that I fumble the swtch to root and back to make system setup changes or additions.
Sorry, I haven't been able to test TazPup (broke a couple of ribs) but thought I'd mention that current usual Slitaz allows login to desktop as user root with password 'root'. Don't know if TazPup is difference but imagined it would be the same.

wiak

Marv

#90 Post by Marv »

wiak wrote:
Marv wrote: Biggest challenge for old me running tazpup is wrapping my head and fingers around not being root. I'm so used to the rest of the word being sandboxed/spotted/containerized and me root that I fumble the swtch to root and back to make system setup changes or additions.
Sorry, I haven't been able to test TazPup (broke a couple of ribs) but thought I'd mention that current usual Slitaz allows login to desktop as user root with password 'root'. Don't know if TazPup is difference but imagined it would be the same.

wiak
Yes, Tazpup is the same. It's just bouncing between the two modes and trying to get the configurations for Tux and root somewhat aligned and persistent that I have to get used to.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#91 Post by mistfire »

@zagreb999 is it the latest alpha release? does sfs icon show in pcmanfm? or unknown file type is shown?

mistfire

#92 Post by mistfire »

I was wondering why home icon does not show on desktop when using root account while. Home icon on desktop is shown on tux account?

smokey01

#93 Post by smokey01 »

Marv wrote: Yes, Tazpup is the same. It's just bouncing between the two modes and trying to get the configurations for Tux and root somewhat aligned and persistent that I have to get used to.
You could edit the slim.conf and just make it use user root and not use user tux at all. Doing this however still requires one to enter a password of root when doing admin tasks. I find this a bit silly.

smokey01

#94 Post by smokey01 »

mistfire wrote:@smokey01 using your compiled kernel in tazpup can you please view the files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/
vulnerabilities/ and send me the results from your computer
meltdown="Not affected"
spectre_v1="Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization"
spectre_v2="Vulnerable: Minimal AMD ASM retpoline"

I have an AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor.

rg66

Re: test

#95 Post by rg66 »

zagreb999 wrote: filemount of sfs not work....
-------------------
do you intend to:
use full lz4 compression,

quick remaster as in debiandog,
to create sfs files to be loaded...?
To create SFS you need to install squashfs, lzo, lz4, lz4-lib and I installed xz as well.

rg66

#96 Post by rg66 »

Quick test with Xfce
Attachments
xfce.jpg
(58.17 KiB) Downloaded 459 times

Marv

#97 Post by Marv »

smokey01 wrote:
Marv wrote: Yes, Tazpup is the same. It's just bouncing between the two modes and trying to get the configurations for Tux and root somewhat aligned and persistent that I have to get used to.
You could edit the slim.conf and just make it use user root and not use user tux at all. Doing this however still requires one to enter a password of root when doing admin tasks. I find this a bit silly.
Just trying to test in stock form... After a bit more fiddling on my frugal Grub4Dos install of stock alpha-5 to a fat32 partition on an i5 based (sandy bridge) laptop SSD, I see what is giving me trouble. What is happening for me with both savefile and savefolder is that on first reboot the savefile or folder are created correctly and any changes made prior are saved to them and read correctly on reboot. However; any changes made before the second or subsequent reboots are not written to either the savefile on the fat32 partition or to a savefolder on an EXT2 partition. Finally checked this just making a single testfile in Documents and examining the savefile or savefolder using another pup after exiting tazpup. What should the owner & group be for Tux on the saves? Mine are ftp/disk. If I manually add anything into the savefolder while running another pup and then boot tazpup, the info is read correctly.. Can't remember if I tried this with the savefile but I think I did also.

mistfire

#98 Post by mistfire »

@smokey it means meltdown and spectre mitigation is working on your compiled kernel, nice.

@rg66 does the whole xfce package worked perfectly?

@Marv about persistence issue we might need more than one brain working to fix that problem.

Saving session on Slitaz is more tricky than in puppy. Because when X is terminated on Slitaz, it restarts X. If the login manager was stop then if will go to login prompt in command line and the process of the script stopped. The best solution was Save Session while X is running then call shutdown/reboot command.

Loading save file or folder should work because the initrd use in tazpup was came from X-Slacko Slim and it works fine

rg66

#99 Post by rg66 »

mistfire wrote: @rg66 does the whole xfce package worked perfectly?
No, lots of broken things but it's usable. Used xfce pkgs from slitaz repo which are old. Will work on it in my spare time. What devx should be used?

mistfire

#100 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 any devx of slacko or debian-based pups might work