eowens2

#81 Post by eowens2 »

bigpup said:
While running from the Live Slacko CD
Try running the Grub4dos Bootloader Config
Let it setup the boot menu.

Did that work for you?
Regretfully, no.

I rebooted the Live Slacko CD and ran System/Grub4Dos bootloader config on the HHD.

It scanned the /dev/sda partitions and re-wrote menu.lst, changing the listings from root (hdX,Y) format to UUID format.

The 3 other partitions booted without problem, but the Slacko64 full install from CD did a kernal panic with the same message as above. The error message seems to protest not finding an initrd, and indeed, there is no initrd on the install.

People on this forum often report having done a "manual frugal install". Does anyone have a link to a description of a "manual full install"?

Where does the script for the universal installer reside? I tried Pfind file finder without any luck.

James C

#82 Post by James C »

eowens2 wrote: The 3 other partitions booted without problem, but the Slacko64 full install from CD did a kernal panic with the same message as above. The error message seems to protest not finding an initrd, and indeed, there is no initrd on the install.
Just for the record, a full install does not use the initrd ... only frugal installs do.

James C

#83 Post by James C »

eowens2 wrote: People on this forum often report having done a "manual frugal install". Does anyone have a link to a description of a "manual full install"?
Quoting Keef and myself from another thread....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 681#614681

keef wrote
DIY Full install:

Mount the ISO (just clicking on it will do)
Click on pup_421.sfs ... but ...
If you are using a 4 series based pup (4.00 to 4.21 or retro 4.3, 4.31) you will be able to mount the sfs as they can read the same squashfile version (3.1).
If you are using a newer pup, you may get a dialogue box suggesting converting it to a compatible version. Do this, as you are extracting the contents anyway and won't need the sfs once you've had your evil way with it.
Once you see the contents of the sfs, copy everything to a partition with enough space - roughly 3 gig I think.

Also copy vmlinuz from the ISO to the same partition - you don't need initrd.gz.
I use Grub4Dos to boot, and the menu.lst entry I have is:

Code:

Code: Select all

title Legacy 04 
 root (hd0,0) 
 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 

Hope this helps.
james c wrote
Pretty much the same way I do it too
HTH.

James C

#84 Post by James C »

Plus mount and copy the zdrv as well, if there is one.

eowens2

#85 Post by eowens2 »

James C and Keef said:
Quoting Keef and myself from another thread....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 681#614681

keef wrote

Quote:
DIY Full install:

Mount the ISO (just clicking on it will do)
Click on pup_421.sfs ... but ...
If you are using a 4 series based pup (4.00 to 4.21 or retro 4.3, 4.31) you will be able to mount the sfs as they can read the same squashfile version (3.1).
If you are using a newer pup, you may get a dialogue box suggesting converting it to a compatible version. Do this, as you are extracting the contents anyway and won't need the sfs once you've had your evil way with it.
Once you see the contents of the sfs, copy everything to a partition with enough space - roughly 3 gig I think.

Also copy vmlinuz from the ISO to the same partition - you don't need initrd.gz.
I use Grub4Dos to boot, and the menu.lst entry I have is:

Code:

Code:
title Legacy 04
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1

Hope this helps.

james c wrote

Quote:
Pretty much the same way I do it too
Thank you James C and Keef for some excellent instructions!

From the frugal install USB stick, I mounted and copied the contents of puppy_slacko64_5.9.1.sfs/zdrv_slacko64_5.9.1.sfs to the root of the destination drive, as well as vmlinuz, tweaked menu entry in menu.lst, and the full install booted right up!

Your instructions need to go in a wiki somewhere. :D

bigpup

#86 Post by bigpup »

For full installs.
The problem is the Universal installer is suppose to do what you just did manually.

Strange how something that has worked very well, suddenly breaks. :shock:

Well, this version of Slacko is testing Woof CE, as well as Slacko 64 bit build,

Something get changed in the Universal Installer to cause it to fail :?:
Is this installer also a beta version :?:

Need some input from 01micko on this one.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#87 Post by bigpup »

eowens2,

Just to eliminate one possible cause of your full install problem.

The hard drive partition.

Was it freshly formatted?

Had files on it and told to wipe it when using the Universal Installer?

You deleted everything on it, but did not do a fresh reformat?
YaPI(any iso installer)

eowens2

#88 Post by eowens2 »

bigpup said
Just to eliminate one possible cause of your full install problem.

The hard drive partition.

Was it freshly formatted?

Had files on it and told to wipe it when using the Universal Installer?

You deleted everything on it, but did not do a fresh reformat?
I do not specifically remember whether I reformatted the partition or simply erased the existing files (usually though, I re-format).

So, out of curiosity, I decided to try one last time. After booting from Slacko64_5.9.1 CD, target partition sda4, I did “dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda4 bs=1M

bigpup

#89 Post by bigpup »

[quote] using gparted deleted and re-created sda4, formatting it as ext3. I mounted sda4 to see if there was anything on the partition, and the only thing present was an empty “Lost and Found
YaPI(any iso installer)

eowens2

#90 Post by eowens2 »

bigpup said:
Wonder what would happen if you wrote zeros to that partition and tried the install again?
eowens2 said:
I did “dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda4 bs=1M

Sage

#91 Post by Sage »

We had reports of this before on this Forum - long time ago - and I have certainly seen it.

Remove everything from the HD - all partitions, including hidden ones. Unless you're a whole-disc expert editor, use a DOS disc with debug to clean off the disc and, just to make sure, fdisk/mbr then fdisk and format it to some other OS's format (not a lot of choice!).
Then boot an earlier Puppy, pfix=ram, to fdisc/w.h.y from the terminal and make an ext2 partition (with swap if you prefer). G4DOS your preferred arrangements.
Reboot from a poweroff into pfix-ram. Install a FULL ie overwrite. Poweroff. Reboot and Gparted, copy, etc to set your preferences.
Some HD/board/previous-OS combos can behave strangely (at least to the uninitiated).
It's quicker to follow my recipe than to describe it in words.
There are further tricks if it still fails - transfer the HD to an older board with an IDE-SATA converter if appropriate and set up a Puppy FULL from there before overwriting it on the target board. OR write Puppy FULL to another HD and use Clonzilla to transfer it. That utility has the capability of writing at the bit-level and removing everything else ditto.
Otherwise, become an whole disc expert when absolutely everything becomes visible.
Beware of proprietary machines esp. Dell & HP which write hidden partitions such as recovery and BIOS-extras onto their HDs which can be difficult to overwrite and/or can immobilise subsequent operations. Notwithstanding, this situation can be rescued by setting up the HD in a non-proprietary machine and simply transferring it back afterwards. This works in all cases I've encountered except one HP which claims to need the BIOS meddling data. Then you have the option of overwriting the BIOS or d/l the HP files from the InterWeb and installing them.
There really is no persuasive argument for not building your own machine. Even if driven by indolence one can obtain a part-built bundle from reputable organisation like CCL (in UK), NewEgg (USA). My views on laptops are well known - a smart mobile or tablet would be a more enlightened choice. Whatever happened about Puppy versions for ARM?!

eowens2

#92 Post by eowens2 »

Inasmuch as I have had zero problems with the HDD in question, (including 3 other partitions) except for usage in conjunction with a Full Install from Universal Installer, I guess I will reluctantly avoid usage of the Full Install option.

It seems strange that the problem of “ghost data

James C

#93 Post by James C »

Since I luckily had a few free minutes I attempted a full install of Slacko64 (two attempts actually) running the installer from the terminal. As noted earlier, even with a freshly formatted Ext 4 partition the installed incorrectly detected something, so I attempted both a "wipe" and "upgrade". End results, two kernel panics.

Terminal output:

# puppyinstaller

Gtk-CRITICAL (recursed) **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Gtk-CRITICAL (recursed) **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: warning: /mnt/sdb2/data seems to be mounted read-only.
/usr/sbin/puppyinstaller: line 751: 20171 Terminated              Xdialog --wmclass "gtkdialog2" --title "$(gettext 'Puppy Universal Installer')" --no-buttons --infobox "$(gettext 'Please wait, copying Puppy files to') $DESTPART..." 0 0 120000
chroot: can't execute '/etc/rc.d/rc.update': No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/puppyinstaller: line 751: 22855 Terminated              Xdialog --wmclass "gtkdialog2" --title "$(gettext 'Puppy Universal Installer')" --no-buttons --infobox "$(gettext 'Please wait, executing rc.update script...')" 0 0 60000
nohup: appending output to nohup.out
# 

bigpup

#94 Post by bigpup »

01micko, What did you do to the Universal Installer :?: :shock:

Well, this Slacko 64 is alpha.
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#95 Post by James C »

bigpup wrote:01micko, What did you do to the Universal Installer :?: :shock:

Well, this Slacko 64 is alpha.
Being the first official 64 bit Puppy may have something to do with it. :)

James C

#96 Post by James C »

Simple enough to fix one of my earlier attempts that wanted to kernel panic. Merely copy the lib64 directory into the full install. Boots.Using it now.

Apparently,the puppy installer doesn't know to copy the lib64 directory....should be a fairly easy fix for one of the gurus.Got to expect some problems when building a different architecture.

PUPMODE=2
#ATADRIVES is all internal ide/pata/sata drives, excluding optical, excluding usb...
ATADRIVES='sda sdb '
#ATAOPTICALDRIVES is list of non-usb optical drives...
ATAOPTICALDRIVES='sr0 '
PUP_HOME='/'
PDEV1='sdb2'
DEV1FS='ext4'

James C

#97 Post by James C »

While I'm here....

# report-video
Report Video 1.3 - Mon 25 Aug 2014 on Slacko64 Puppy 0.0 - Linux 3.12.22 x86_64

Chip description:
  00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] (rev a2)  
  oem: NVIDIA
  product: MCP67 - mcp68-01 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg  Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.14.3
  dimensions:    1440x900 pixels (381x238 millimeters)
  depth of root window:    24 planes 

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
3139 frames in 5.0 seconds = 627.727 FPS
3210 frames in 5.0 seconds = 641.879 FPS
3253 frames in 5.0 seconds = 650.448 FPS
3212 frames in 5.0 seconds = 642.335 FPS

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Memory		: 3791MB (250MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Slacko64 Puppy - 0.0
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Mon 25 Aug 2014 04:53:32 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on NV67
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       3791524       434120      3357404            0        20460
-/+ buffers:             413660      3377864
Swap:      6246396            0      6246396
# 

eowens2

#98 Post by eowens2 »

Great pickup James C!

I want to confirm James C's findings. After his post I did a fresh full install of Slacko64_5.9.1 to a HDD partition using the Universal Installer. Beforehand I dd’d the partition with /dev/zero and did a fresh ext3 file format; mounting the partition, I found only an empty “Lost and Found

mavrothal

#99 Post by mavrothal »

James C wrote:should be a fairly easy fix
It has been for some time now in woof (but after slacko 64 was released).
Micko's new PUI should also work.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gcmartin

#100 Post by gcmartin »

:
mavrothal wrote: It has been for some time now in woof (but after slacko 64 was released).
Micko's new PUI should also work.
  • The PUI needs testing in this Slacko version as it was created and tested in Slacko-V6 32bit beta.
  • Change the install location to ANY other partition other than /dev/sdx"4". Since 1986, HDD manufacturers have "recommended" to use no more than 3 primary partitions after that create an extended partition (an "extended" is a kind of primary partition) with logical partitions within the extended area. On many installs for advanced businesses, they DO NOT USE ANY primary partitions instead opting to erase new drives and start the new drive by creating an extended partition where from that point on they can create an infinite number logical partitions with NO loss of performance. There are several industry tools and apps which "expect" that sdx4 does NOT exist as they assume good HDD practices with the use of extended partition areas with logical partitions. Even though I do NOT feel this lack of practice done here in any way cures the present problem, it "may" in boot processing.
Hope this helps
Edit: a phrase's readability.
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 02 Sep 2014, 13:52, edited 2 times in total.