Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#861 Post by pemasu »

Bert. If you launch gparted from the menu, it actually lauches /usr/sbin/gparted-shell, which has statement:
#v424 report that gparted crash with a non-english locale. well, maybe just do this...
export LANG=C
If I launch gparted from console:

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# gparted
(process:23312): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
If I launch it in console in Midnight Sun Pup Office Edition, I get localised finnish texts in tooltip over the english buttons when I move cursor over the buttons.

So something in Lucid 266 prevents localisation to work even if you circumvent Barrys obstacle.
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#862 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jpeps

#863 Post by jpeps »

playdayz wrote:I had so much fun chasing that vdpau message that I got a headache!

In the upcoming RC, gnome-mplayer does not generate the message nor does Firefox. Opera does generate the message. Seamonkey may generate it only with flashplayer not gecko-mediaplyer, I can't quite remember. That's enough for me.
ha ha.....I noticed it after updating pwidgets (honestly!) Good luck

bigpup

#864 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:I had so much fun chasing that vdpau message that I got a headache!

In the upcoming RC, gnome-mplayer does not generate the message nor does Firefox. Opera does generate the message. Seamonkey may generate it only with flashplayer not gecko-mediaplyer, I can't quite remember. That's enough for me.
Well, If the only problems to fix are messages in a log file, you must be getting close or we are hunting too deep. :lol:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#865 Post by playdayz »

Here's the first draft of the release hype for Lucid 5.2.6

Lucid Puppy 5.2.6 is the fastest, friendliest, and most fun Lucid yet. It is the fastest because it is the first Lucid (and first official Puppy) to use the C and ffmpeg libraries optimized for i686 computers rather than the older i386 computers. It is the friendliest because special attention has been devoted to the user experience. For instance, 5.2.6 uses the Roxterm console which has copy and paste and other features like a text editor, rather than the older x-terminal. Lucid similarly uses an entirely new Control Panel that makes it easier to customize and configure Lucid to one’s liking. Speaking of customizing Lucid, that is why it is so much fun. 5.2.6 includes more wallpapers and themes than any previous Lucid.

Lucid has also received a thorough going-over under the hood. In addition to the faster libraries, there is new and updated firmware and drivers for many devices, especially modems, ethernet, and wireless devices. Further, the hardware detection and configuration routines have been extensively tested and enhanced by forum member rerwin--who has tested the routines for over 3 months since prior to the release of Lucid 5.2.5. Finally, the overall look and feel, the friendly and fun stuff, has been influenced by experiments forum member pemasu who has created a series of very popular Puppies since the release of 5.2.5. In his honor, Lucid 5.2.6 is nicknamed Finlandia.

bigpup

#866 Post by bigpup »

You know, Futwerk's wallpapers kind of grow on you after you try them.
Attachments
Futwerk2.jpg
(66.9 KiB) Downloaded 720 times
Futwerk Wallpaper.jpg
(53.32 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sage

#867 Post by Sage »

PD: did you have any further thoughts on the Flash issue? vide supra.

It amazes me that some of our correspondents who have more coding talent in their little finger than I possess seem determined to mix it with the devil. Leave NTFS and XP/7 on a separate machine - neither is a satisfactory vehicle fit for purpose - everybody knows this, whether they are Linux, Mac or Haiku users or not.
The world is awash with HW, especially kit suitable for the Puppy project(s). Horses for courses. If someone is so desperate for a second separate machine, contact me and I'll give you one. Please, folks, please don't waste your valuable and valued skills unravelling the world's most worthless OS. If you really, really must use it, keep it on its own machine and be aware that it is pre-ordained to fail, with or without attempts to dual boot a decent OS. Certified masochists would, in any event, be better advised to load up an old copy of W98SE under DOS, even with its serious and known limitations, for occasional use or for experimentation. Otherwise, it'll all end in tears.
In short - Don't do it!

Snail

VPAU xerrs.log

#868 Post by Snail »

Booted up -> started seamonkey -> logged-in into this forum -> checked my messages -> started browsing this thread

BAMM!

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-25-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc 2.6.33.2 #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010 i686
Kernel command line: pmedia=atahd psubdir=Luci266
Build Date: 23 April 2010  05:11:50PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7 (Bryce Harrington <bryce@ubuntu.com>) 
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jul 27 18:18:42 2011
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
Gamma values must be between  0.100 and 10.000
/usr/bin/openbox
openbox
Generating /root/.fbpanel/default...
Cannot read file: /root/.retrovolrc
Using defaults...
killall: blinky_tray: no process killed
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129:  6893 Terminated              $a
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129:  6917 Terminated              $a
killall: traytemp: no process killed
killall: vattery: no process killed
killall: powerapplet_tray: no process killed
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** ERROR **: GtkDialog: Could not find the dialog description in the environment variable 'MAIN_DIALOG'.
aborting...
/usr/local/pfind/pfind: line 438: 20758 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 is /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3
EXIT="Ready"
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/searchresult20420': No such file or directory
Not worth chasing anymore.

ETP

Luci-266 Test

#869 Post by ETP »

Luci-266 Test

Manual frugal install to fat32 USB2 stick – syslinux boot.
No issues found. Slideshow of tests can be found here:

http://megaswf.com/file/1153111

A couple of observations.
There has been much debate on cosmetics and the need for a more mature looking desktop. The goal should IMHO, be neutral sophistication.

Given the adoption of the excellent PupControl does it not create the opportunity to trim down the menus where the items are accessible via Control? This would remove duplication and make Lucid less intimidating for new users.

Snail

VPAU in RoxTerm

#870 Post by Snail »

I was pottering in a console and used the MAN command. Of course this opened a new tab in Seamonkey, which was open already. Four VPAU errors appeared in the Rox Term console window. And when I just went back to the Roxterm just now, there were four more, just from shifting tabs. Now the terminal doesn't seem to be behaving itself at all, no prompt, I can type any command or any old rubbish and all the enter key does is carriage-return-linefeed and there is no other response.

Ok closed RoxTerm and opened it again. Got a prompt. Typed "man ls".
One VPAU and the terminal is borked.

So at least one real problem with this VPAU error - the man command is completely broken. :(

Sorry about this playdayz. Not nice when you are almost there I know.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

VDPAU

#871 Post by Béèm »

More on VDPAU

VDPAU is the equivalent in Windows of direct X video acceleration.

Used in programs:
* Boxee[12]
* GStreamer[13]
* MPlayer
* MythTV[14]
* XBMC Media Center[15][16][17]
* XBMC Live (Linux Live CD/USB operating-system)[15][16][18]
* Xine[19][20]
* MLT[21]
* Adobe Flash 10.2 Stage Video and later versions (32bit only presently) [22]

VDPAU can also be used as a backend for the Video Acceleration API (VA API) which itself covers a subset of VDPAU's capabilities; so any software that supports VA API also partly supports VDPAU (e.g., VLC media player).[23]

Hence the fact, that there is talk in this thread about Mplayer and Seamonkey with flashplayer.
the Wikki wrote:Intel and ATI currently offer no support for VDPAU. Nvidia hopes these GPU designers will support the open source VDPAU library and provide drivers with VDPAU acceleration by mentioning example names of hardware specific drivers for Intel and ATI: libvdpau_intel.so and libvdpau_ati.so.[10] Intel has mentioned that they are considering VDPAU support.
So my question to developers playdayz and micko:
How does it come that having a Radeon 7500 GPU I get those messages for NVIDIA?
Something wrong in Video detection?
VDPAU should not be active for non NVIDIA GPU.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#872 Post by pemasu »

Something I tested with findings I got from net search. Adobe Flashplayer should listen settings in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg. I created that location with settings file using rows which has helped with vdpau problem.

You can test it. Start new browser after installing the pet.

Code inside /etc/adobe/mms.cfg:

# Adobe player settings
  EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
  OverrideGPUValidation = true
Attachments
vdpaufix-0.0.1.pet
(602 Bytes) Downloaded 177 times

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#873 Post by Béèm »

pemasu,
I didn't mention you in the developers list as I hadn't looked at your 'cold' puppy's if I had the problem also.
But nice that you looked at it.
I installed the pet.

In order to have xerrs.log reset, X has to be restarted.
Then SeaMonkey restarted.
I have in xerrs.log

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-25-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc 2.6.33.2 #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010 i686
Kernel command line: psavemark=2
Build Date: 23 April 2010  05:11:50PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7 (Bryce Harrington <bryce@ubuntu.com>) 
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jul 27 13:38:04 2011
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.
NTSC PAL NTSC-J 
  XRANDR name: VGA-0
  Connector: VGA
  CRT1: INTERNAL_DAC1
  DDC reg: 0x60
  XRANDR name: LVDS
  Connector: LVDS
  LCD1: INTERNAL_LVDS
  DDC reg: 0x0
  XRANDR name: S-video
  Connector: S-video
  TV1: INTERNAL_DAC2
  DDC reg: 0x0
finished output detect: 0
finished output detect: 1
finished output detect: 2
finished all detect
Entering TV Save
Save TV timing tables
saveTimingTables: reading timing tables
TV Save done
disable LVDS
disable primary dac
disable LVDS
disable TV
disable LVDS
init memmap
init common
init crtc1
init pll1
restore memmap
restore common
restore crtc1
restore pll1
set RMX
set LVDS
enable LVDS
disable primary dac
disable TV
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/radeon_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
/usr/bin/openbox
openbox
Generating /root/.fbpanel/default...
killall: blinky_tray: no process killed
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129: 30283 Terminated              $a
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129: 30549 Terminated              $a
killall: traytemp: no process killed
killall: vattery: no process killed
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 129: 30556 Terminated              $a
info: 0, warning: 0, error: 0
Done
info: 0, warning: 0, error: 0
Done
info: 0, warning: 3, error: 6
Done
Done
Done
Done
Done
info: 0, warning: 0, error: 1
Done
info: 0, warning: 3, error: 7
Done
info: 0, warning: 3, error: 8
Done
Done
So the fix doesn't seem to have done something.
Also the original contents for adobe player settings is gone in mms.cfg
Don't know what the consequences will be.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rerwin

Obsolete file removal for full installations -- ignore

#874 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
In my work with dalderton's mode-switching issue, I believe he is impacted by the presence of the obsolete files in his full installation. They do not get removed in a full-install upgrade -- actually, nothing at all is done for such upgrades. I assume the user merely copies the content of the main SFS file into an installation, which replaces or adds files, but does not remove any.

I am updating the 2 rc.update* files to handle this. I am waiting for dalderton to try the changes and verify whether they solve his problem (with the modem not getting switched to modem mode), with no adverse impact.
Richard

UPDATE: I have now tested the update package by creating a 525 full installation and then installing 266 over it as an update, and rebooting into it. As expected, the obsolete files were still present. I installed the attached package, which changes only the rc.update scripts. Upon rebooting again, the obsolete files are gone. This verifies the the fix does what I expect. For full installs only, it removes the files only if it sees that the no-longer-used file, /etc/modprobe.conf, is present. Otherwise, there is no change in function. Please consider the fix for the RC. Thanks.
Richard

UPDATE: Attachment removed. It was the wrong solution. The underlying problem was that the "udev" version in lupu did not find the expected rules files that would resolve dalderton's problem. Resolved in lupu 527 (page 74+). R
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 01 Aug 2011, 20:27, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#875 Post by pemasu »

Beem. You are right. Giving that disable gpu detection didnt stop vdpau errors. It was just that when I launched youtube music enough many times, the error messages just stopped in terminal. I dont have any more ideas to disable flash-youtube vdpau errors. Even installing the missing nvidia libs just generates another error of next missing xlibs.....

Bert. I got gparted to accept finnish localisation just by disabling utf-8 encoding in personalize setting second page.

Bert

#876 Post by Bert »

Gparted 0.9.0 NLS (oh no not again.. :roll: )

Thanks for your help Pemasu.
Good news. When I launch Gparted from console, it actually starts up in my Dutch language! Menus, buttons, tooltips, everything! There's no warning in console.

We're getting there!

EDIT I just now see what you wrote in the post above this...
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

playdayz

#877 Post by playdayz »

You know, Futwerk's wallpapers kind of grow on you after you try them.
Yes I agree. futwerk has some very cool stuff. very fresh looking creative graphics.

I am testing the RC btw.

Snail

Pfind rox right click Vanishing act

#878 Post by Snail »

525 and 264 have a Rox right click menu item for directories to open pfind ready to search in that directory. It was done right, a symlink in the inode sub-directory of the open-with directory that pointed to a Rox-app in /usr/local/apps. In 265 and 266, the Rox-app is still there but the symlink has vanished. Why is this? It would have saved me a lot of trouble if the link had still been there, as an example.

Luci 260 has more Rox-apps than other Puppies I have seen. So it appears that the potential for improving right clicks was recognised at some point but the idea was dropped?

Incidentally, the technique of symlinking a desktop file suggested by Tman doesn't work so well. I ones I tried look good and open the application OK but don't know what file/directory they should act on.

playdayz

#879 Post by playdayz »

rc.update_full_inst_fix-1.pet
Got it. It's the last one for now rerwin. I diddled around hoping you would finish before I posted the RC ;-)

rerwin

#880 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
Thanks for waiting. I have nothing more in mind to fix, at this point. Time to wind down for awhile.
Richard