Slacko(32/64) 6.3.2/6.3.0 bug reports.

Please post any bugs you have found
nubc

#166 Post by nubc »

Firefox is choking big time. All YouTube videos now give error

Code: Select all

No video with supported format and MIME type found.
In most cases, I recently played the problematic video and it played fine. I guess it's time to start using Chrome.

Mozilla support:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1048378

EDIT: It took about 3 hours, but I got Chrome to do most of what Firefox does. Not real happy with Chrome's UI (2 or 3 clicks to get to Bookmarks), but it's a lot better than Opera!!!!

EDIT 2: Chrome causes my computer to freeze. Or at least, what I was doing in Firefox causes Chrome to freeze, and require a hard reset. I thought the computer was overheating, but it's not. Chrome can't do multi-tasking. I was playing a mp4 video, a movie. When I simultaneously browsed with Chrome, the video froze, inoperably. Only way to recover was to hold the front panel power button down, and go through a couple restarts until Slacko recovered. Why did I ever commit to Google Chrome?

Tom's Guide forum: Chrome Freezing Computer
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-239 ... puter.html

One person having the problem fixed it by unchecking hardware acceleration in Settings. [This might have fixed it]

One person fixed it by selecting SATA AHCI in BIOS. [default setting in my BIOS]

SOLVED: Unchecking hardware acceleration in Chrome Settings seems to have fixed the freezing problem. Also, there is no noticeable cumulative sluggishness and lag in Chrome, which is a big improvement over Firefox. If Chrome refuses to download/install your favorite add-on or extension, try installing the adaptive extension Chameleon which allows the addition of Opera add-ons.

nubc

#167 Post by nubc »

I had to restart the computer after a day or so, because Chrome was starting to hang. Rebooting caused Chrome to lose all settings, like bookmarks, extensions, history. And first instance of Chrome after rebooting prompted me to sign in to a Google account. Unless I am mistaken, this means I can't use Chrome without allowing Google to spy on me. Not so?

Obviously, I don't want Chrome to sync anything. I get a check list of 9 items:
Apps, Autofil, Bookmarks, Extensions, History, Passwords, Settings, Themes, Open Tabs. What does Chrome want to sync these to? Is syncing the way that Chrome can restore all the windows and tabs that were running at the time of a reboot?

6502coder

#168 Post by 6502coder »

nubc wrote:Is syncing the way that Chrome can restore all the windows and tabs that were running at the time of a reboot?
Typically "syncing" in browser-speak means saving your bookmarks etc to the
cloud, so that if you run Chrome on another computer or other
Internet-connected device, you can have the same settings.
That's the way it is in Firefox and I'm pretty sure that's how Chrome uses the term.

nubc

#169 Post by nubc »

Please give instructions for disabling the mouseover popup menu widget at the top of the screen.

Semme

#170 Post by Semme »

I notice you don't reply much these days Nubc. A quick thank you is free & costs very little time..

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102262

Yes, you're welcome.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#171 Post by nubc »

I spent two days troubleshooting Chrome, with no help, and I shared my findings here. You don't think that's a contribution? The question above (about syncing) was asking for a clarification, for which I am appreciative. Had that question involved a procedure, I probably would have thanked the responder, 6502coder. If this were my thread, I would also be more communicative, but this is an important community thread for bug reports and I don't want to clog it with unnecessary posts. The thread is already 12 pages long.

As regards the menu widget, it would be useful to know the exact name of the widget. When dev tacks a piece of bling like that onto the OS, he should provide a easy way to disable it, so that user doesn't have to come here to beg for the fix. Without the (arbitrary) name of the widget, what can you do? Does this query remind you of Puppy 4.2?

As always, thanks for your response, Semme.

SOLVED: I renamed the jwmrc-tray2 file in /root/.jwm/ then created an empty file by the name jwmrc-tray2 to replace it.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 19:10, edited 2 times in total.

RickGT351

Can't connect to internet with cable after running firewall

#172 Post by RickGT351 »

Can't connect to internet with cable after running firewall wizard

Today I did a pfix=ram boot from the cd and I can get on the internet.The issues start after I run the firewall wizard.
To connect with the internet, I have to use http://www.slackware.com/~alien/efg/]Al ... r IPTables . If I reboot after that, then I won't be able to connect with the net. The firewall itself does not allow connection to the internet.
The details are; Interface: eth0, Type: wired, Driver: forcedeth, Bus: PCI. It works ok with Precise 5.7.1 and any other Puppy I have tried

Let's see if the text in this post will show
Last edited by RickGT351 on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 23:56, edited 5 times in total.

Semme

#173 Post by Semme »

Sharing is good Nubc, and you do a better job than most when it comes to feedback.

That 6.3 doesn't jive with my ride limits my input.

My link should have addressed that annoying widget thingy.. As far as I can tell it does nothing more than clutter the desktop. Have a quick launch bar or icons, not both. I also agree there should be more documentation for this kind of included "functionality."

Beyond the slew of changes, I imagine you'd be more content continuing with 5.7 than being a beta tester.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#174 Post by nubc »

Q: Chrome wants to download web images in .webp format, which is a Google thing. I prefer standard .jpg or even .png. Slacko's resident Image Viewer does not recognize .webp (compressed) format. Is Chrome capable of acquiring images in .jpg?

A: Once again, Google is doing something brilliantly stupid.
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/15/avoid- ... le-chrome/

SOLVED: I'm not saying it's the best solution, but I installed an extension named "Save Image As Type" which is added to the context menu called when user right clicks an image. Download images optionally as .jpg .png or .webp
Last edited by nubc on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 10:36, edited 3 times in total.

Semme

#175 Post by Semme »

Nubc, word on the web says you can rename the webp offering to jpg in the save dialog window. Try it..

nubc

#176 Post by nubc »

Nope, Semme, that doesn't work, just doublechecked, format not recognized.

The Chrome extension "Save Image As Type" has had problems in the past (hence the lower 3-star rating), but it was recently fixed, and it works quite well.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

RickGT351

#177 Post by RickGT351 »

It seems that editing a post in this website doesn't work with this new distro :?:

Correction; it's not the distro, it's the website. Let's see if this works

This is weird. It seems that it doesn't like pasted text
Last edited by RickGT351 on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 23:57, edited 2 times in total.

RickGT351

#178 Post by RickGT351 »

Can't connect to internet with cable after running firewall wizard.

Today I did a pfix=ram boot from the cd and I can get on the internet. The issues start after I run the firewall wizard.
To connect to the internet I have to use http://www.slackware.com/~alien/efg/]Al ... r IPTables . If I reboot after that, then I won't be able to connect with the net. The firewall itself does not allow connection to the internet.
The details are; Interface: eth0, Type: wired, Driver: forcedeth, Bus: PCI. It works ok with Precise 5.7.1 and any other Puppy I have tried
Last edited by RickGT351 on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#179 Post by Semme »

Yeah, OOgle.. :roll: Our way or the HiWay. Good to see China keeps'em in line..

Rick, we need details..

RickGT351

#180 Post by RickGT351 »

Can't connect to internet with cable after running firewall wizard

Today I did a pfix=ram boot from the cd and I can get on the internet.The issues start after I run the firewall wizard.
To connect with the internet, I have to use http://www.slackware.com/~alien/efg/]Al ... r IPTables . If I reboot after that, then I won't be able to connect with the net. The firewall itself does not allow connection to the internet.

RickGT351

Re: Can't connect to internet with cable after running firewall

#181 Post by RickGT351 »

RickGT351 wrote:Can't connect to internet with cable after running firewall wizard. Also can't connect after creating savefile

Let's see if the text in this post will show
I also created a savefile without running the firewall wizard. No internet available after reboot

RickGT351

#182 Post by RickGT351 »

Can't connect to the internet after creating a savefile.
If I run a pfix=ram boot off the cd, internet is available, however if I create a savefile, no internet is available after reboot. I have tried creating savefiles after running the firewall wizard and also not running it.
Basically it's useless after creating a savefile which is very sad as I was looking forward to using it.
Hopefully this post actually shows as my previous attempts show up as blank even though if I click on EDIT, I can read the text

Semme

#183 Post by Semme »

Your url tags were off, but I'll guess there's something loaded in the live session that isn't from the save.
The issues start after I run the firewall wizard.

To connect with the internet, I have to use Alien Bob's Easy Firewall Generator for IPTables. If I reboot after that, then I won't be able to connect with the net. The firewall itself does not allow connection to the internet.

The details are; Interface: eth0, Type: wired, Driver: forcedeth, Bus: PCI. It works ok with Precise 5.7.1 and any other Puppy I have tried..
You might fair better with this pkg >> Arno's IPTABLES firewall script.

Puppus Dogfellow

#184 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

running slacko64 with the 32 bit lib compatibility sfs loaded.

got zarfy (dual monitor support) to work, but the text is just rectangular boxes, so it's best to have a screeny of the correct interface available if you want to use it.

the last popup in T.A.S. is also only giving boxes, no text (interface starts off fine and the main gui returns to the screen okay--it's just the box that tells you the the shot's been taken and [...] that's affected.)

other than my JWM gripes and these two issues, it's pretty wonderful so far--fast, quiet, and easy on cpu and memory use.

gcmartin

#185 Post by gcmartin »

Although I am unsure how to solve, it appears there is a font problem.

On another note
How are your monitors wired? DVI/HDMI/Multiple-cards/Single-card/VGA?

Curious. I am in a planning phase for my next system.