What's with all the Drama?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
slavvo67

What's with all the Drama?

#1 Post by slavvo67 »

Either program or don't. Either test or don't. Either use Puppy happily or don't. What's the problem?

Can't we as a community....

Constructively criticize without being abrasive and abusive?

Approach puppy as a passion; not a job?

All contribute in ways that we reasonably can?

Realize that we're not all ComSci majors?

All work together to create something better?

Personally, I appreciate everyone on this board. Even Flash, though I still think he's John Murga in disguise. Kidding....

Lately, there's been more drama on this board than a latino novela (soap opera). Remember, Puppy will never be perfect.... but ... we can all work together to keep improving. Puppy has come a long way since Lucid 5.28... Thanks to all...

Respectfully,

Slavvo

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

I agree with this...

...although it's often far easier to try and poke holes in somebody else rather than be constructive. Plus, a lot of people have a lot of issues and a lot of different ideas on how to solve them.

I often find myself agreeing with the problem but not the solution... but since it's better to be quiet than to be attacked --at least to me-- I find myself not posting perhaps as much as I could be.

Political example (sorry, but it's what comes to mind first) -- I like a lot of what John Kasich has to say as far as problems go in American society -- but I almost certainly disagree profoundly with his solutions. (I confess to not having investigated that as thoroughly as I could.) He sounds like a moderate to me -- still a little farther to the Right than I'm comfy with checking off on a ballot sheet, (un?)fortunately -- but he's at least got his feet on the ground. My disagreements with him are intellectual and philosophical ones, rather than anything existential. (I can't say the same for Trump.)

Puppy is the same way. We have our Donald Trumps and our John Kasichs -- and just about everyone and everything in between. I try to avoid our Trumps -- on both ends of the spectrum. I certainly try not to be like him myself (as Shakespeare would say: Much Ado About Very Little)...! Sadly, I don't always succeed... but I do try. I try to be more like Kasich -- I have reasonable problems that I try to find reasonable solutions to. I don't always get it right, but I try to follow the rules and I do what I can to help others as well.

That's what I ask of others as well -- try to help out, try to come up with reasonable solutions, and try to color within the lines rather than all over the page ;) Let's see what we can do, folks.

Pelo

Guest, please enter the forum and give your opinion.

#3 Post by Pelo »

147 Registered, 18 Hidden and 14206 Guests
Don't worry about Puppy, guests like dramas, But they keep away. Perhaps they don't understand everything, surtout s'ils sont français.
Dramas don't frigthen People, but we hardly understand how there could be dramas for a so popular OS, light fast and so easy to install, even on old computers.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

If you are not part of the solution. You are part of the problem :shock: :roll:

Someone said.
"If two people agree 100% of the time, that means one of them is not needed" :!:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

amigo

#5 Post by amigo »

No, it's: If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the precipitate.

slavvo67

#6 Post by slavvo67 »

bigpup wrote:If you are not part of the solution. You are part of the problem :shock: :roll:

Someone said.
"If two people agree 100% of the time, that means one of them is not needed" :!:
I guess that means the two people fighting all the time in my head is a good thing. :lol:

tubeguy

#7 Post by tubeguy »

Could be the younger crowd? When I started playing with Puppies in '09 it was much different but it was mostly a middle-aged bunch. Maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly though.

I haven't been around much, but I remember this place being a respite from the day-to-day world, I could count on like-minded, mature, respectful and generally very smart and cool people to interact with. Last time I was on Puppy IRC I thought I was on Reddit or 4chan, I guess the same thing has been going on here, huh?
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

Puppy has changed a bit even since 4.3 ;)

And not all code in Puppy-5 had survived ( /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe_protect ) ,
though it is interesting code .

Why not stay with Puppy-4.x ?
Whatever, helpers could have been more in the beginning , and not just " enthusiasts " .

But people with no income have low resources and thus easily get involved with Puppy Linux.

You get what you pay for !

I really do not know, why there are so many Windows OS applications available .

Usually it should be easier to write for an open source OS .
But perhaps these people got a lot of money by parents or banks for their education !

Linux has flaws, since it is a somewhat unreliable kernel .
One kernel compile your intel driver works, the next works with problems like temporarily switching off the monitor .
2.6.31.14 does not update sysfs when removing a SD-Card in a reader , but updates if inserted .
Pretty difficult to just use non-lts-kernels like Puppy in general does .

Therefore the Windows OS is more reliable for a programmer than any Linux .

Linux is interesting for Universities to work on it !
And interesting for cheap providers . But if always cheap - why need for money ?
At University they do not get paid cheap !
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

eric52

#9 Post by eric52 »

I'm new to this environment in every which way. I have been occasionally dismayed by some of the more dramatic discussion, but it's always steered clear of useless argument and toward compromise if not consensus. Maybe folks were more enthusiastic and polite in earlier days. It could be that the old guard has grown weary and less patient while the newcomers have become more expectantly demanding. But let's face it, involvement in any collective effort is damn difficult. If you're getting paid well for it, it's worth dealing with the challenges. If you're not getting paid for it, if Puppy is only a labor of love that might reap some respect, then you folks are pulling off a miracle. A good solid decade of dedication is a remarkable thing. And look at the result - Puppy is by far the best in its class - so by far that it IS its own class. Hey, perhaps occasional discouragement is justified, but there is hugely compelling reason to be very proud of the accomplishment. You're not running a popularity contest here; you're succeeding in a damn fine project. That's the sugar coating. Truth is, you lack style. There are Linux outfits that have truckloads more style, and grace, and aesthetic appeal. On the other hand, you've got character. Your on track with trainloads of character. I've enjoyed better conversations on this site than anywhere else on the Web. You are rough around the edges - hell, you're made mostly of rough edges - and you're a very engaging bunch. This is an A-No.1 ride, and I'm glad to be on board!
Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

amigo wrote:No, it's: If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the precipitate.
Ah. A chemist. :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

russoodle

#11 Post by russoodle »

musher0 wrote:
amigo wrote:No, it's: If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the precipitate.
Eloquent as usual, musher :wink:

I've missed all the colourful stuff and whatever else has been going on, having been in absentia for a coon's age now..

@eric52: glad you're enjoying the ride - Puppy rocks, no matter what! :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

russoodle wrote:
musher0 wrote:
Eloquent as usual, musher :wink:

I've missed all the colourful stuff and whatever else has been going on, having been in absentia for a coon's age now..

@eric52: glad you're enjoying the ride - Puppy rocks, no matter what! :)
Glad to see you back, russoodle! Right on cue, too!!! :)
I wish you a Happy, Healthy and Successful New Year!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

russoodle

#13 Post by russoodle »

Merci, musher...i wish you the very same :D
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, I have to agree with eric52; we may be a wee bit 'rough around the edges'.....but who cares? This community is by far and away the best I've ever been involved with; there's technical ability.....there's comedy (Andy & Semme?).....there's pathos (vis-a-vis Nooby's passing).....and there's oodles of sheer, good-natured banter (and a few very 'deep thinkers'). I'm glad to be a part of it, and hope to be so for a good while to come.....and loving the ride, so far..!

Mike. :wink: :)

eric52

#15 Post by eric52 »

Another Leon Ray Livingston!

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

eric52 wrote:Another Leon Ray Livingston!
???????

(I'm a Brit; we don't understand it when y'all start to chuck in home-brewed references..!)

Mike. :wink:

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

Google and Wiki are here to help, Mike ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Ray_Livingston

eric52

#18 Post by eric52 »

Literally the king of hoboes by choice not necessity - called A no.1 - decent author. There's a movie I think called "Emperor of the North" worth watching - very raw Americana.

gcmartin

bark-Bark-BARK can vent here.

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Seems @bark-Bark-BARK is unhappy as I had requested he not disparage a PUP member's contribution in the way he had. This post is created here to allow him to vent, should he choose.

Here's his problem that he doesn't want to acknowledge. First he states the member's product is "Worst". Then he states he is trying to make another product do what it is NOT designed to do. Then back to the member's product he back-pedals and says the product doesn't have a feature. He is told nicely (and indirectly) that what he ask for, "graphical" acceleration, does not exist. He is given 8 product options for his choice and he gets blinded in argument.

Directly, the suggestions given him for his choice as they offer HARDWARE acceleration for standard PCs. Hardware acceleration and graphical acceleration are NOT the same. But he is so blinded that he fails to read much less understand the info presented him. REPEATING, GRAPHICAL ACCELERATION is not a feature of what he started with nor a "stated" feature of what he is trying. The fact is Hardware acceleration in the means by which LAN traffic can be sped up. It is NOT graphical.

Graphical can be achieved by those vendors who make specialized thin-clients where the vendors has optimized his server software to work hand-in-hand with their thin-client's hardware. Thus, those vendors sell thin-client machines specific for their proprietary server software. This, though, is proprietary solutions designed for increasing their sales nor are most willing to pay that kind of money.

I have had no success in trying to help him retract his disparaging comments of the PUP member's product while he continues to banter on and on. And, I am sure that he is so angered at this point he doesn't/cannot see the errors. Disparaging any member's work, I find unacceptable. Especially when the reasons given are not accurate!

Maybe others can help his dilemma. His venting on the other thread is not the best place for that on that thread.

Let's hope he got the message to vent here, instead. One other member, on that thread, has asked for restraint and to move the venting here.

I whole-heartedly agree that venting should not be on that thread.

Here, drama can be acted out, publicly, away from useful threads designed with members posting for solutions and resolutions.

tlchost

#20 Post by tlchost »

Could it be that having a sanctioned area for venting simply encourages the emission of various noxious elements?

One thing is seems to encourage is overly long posts.

Thom
Yours for the elimination of off-topic posts