No votes
tiny core
100%

Total votes: 1

xdrazen

OLD PC -- Only Wary5.5 or swobniws xp (suricata) work well

#1 Post by xdrazen »

Greetings.
A lot of time ago i posted asking for something like that, but that trhead was dead and right now i must say that i am sorry because i never answered the repplie.
Tried to use LTSP 14.04 kernel panic, not enough memory, 12.04 same issue, but alkisg from irc of ltsp send me a 12.04 image, never tried it.

Well i have been testing, and the exactly pcs that i have are
7 pcs pentium pro with same proc and mobo, differents NICs 6 of them with SCSI HDD and one with IDE. Kinda 96-128 RAM.
1 pentium pro with different mobo and some issues when booting
1 pentium 2 with ide, pretty nice.

I tried puppy in the IDE was very nice, run not very fast, but "workable" with gnumeric and abiword. BUT when tried to start seamonkey it only stopped. I do not have sound support.

In the SCSI HDD ones, i got kernel panic when trying to boot the installed puppy, but the live worked well. Then i wonder if i could "copy the image content to the SCSI drive and try to boot from it". I am not sure how to search it in google.

Then tried tiny core, but right now i do not have internet access the i am not sure if try even to install it 1 i am afraid of the SCSI kernel panic and 2 with no internet, i could not install gnumeric or abiword. (but soon i will have internet).

Finally, with the hurry i give up with linux for a time, and tried those "light windows xp" right now i am with velenos(as it says, the son of suricata).
I installed 1 of them and have 7 more for install, it works with openoffice 2.X but with no MS office 2007++ compatibility. Abiword works, tried GNUMERIC but it has no windows support and the only available is "portable". Not even gnumeric or aimp2 portable works. Sound and NIC worked.

Right now i wonder what could i do, continue with the swobniws xp ¿? try tinycore? re try puppy?¿

BTW my first project was LTSP but i got terrible issues with ubuntu and debian, fedora k12 and even opensuse. i wonder if i could make a LTSP server with the wary puppy or at least serve that image.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Keep the Pentium II system and put Puppy Precise Retro 571 on it.

Ditch the others, they belong in a museum.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

starhawk wrote:Keep the Pentium II system and put Puppy Precise Retro 571 on it.

Ditch the others, they belong in a museum.
Hello xdrazen.

I have to agree with starhawk.

Shortly even Pentium II's will be history too: with a little luck, you can buy
a used low-end dual-core for a song these days.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

I'm actually not convinced of that, musher -- I think Pentium IIs may have some sticking power as long as one doesn't need YT or Flash content. Seriously.

I've got a Dell Latitude CPi D300XT, and this Christmas I *FINALLY* got the RAM needed to max it out, all 256 megs of it, LOL. (It takes a kind of weird expensive old RAM. In related news: eff you, Dell.) It has a Pentium II 300MHz CPU, and the system runs quite nicely with Precise 571 Retro, which I had recommended above for that very exact reason. Yes, there's lag. Yes, it struggles with a browser. But if someone only wants a computer for somewhat-limited Web browsing, email, and word processing... I gotcha covered there.

Oh... and this laptop was made in 1999...

Uten

#5 Post by Uten »

Sad to say but you can't expect much of a desktop experience from those machines. Personally I would try tinycore on them. The book into the core explains the system reasonably well. puppylinux 4xx (?) should work reasonably well if you take your time. But you know there has been a lot of updates and refinements since it came out. If you really have to surf the web with those machines I recommend w3m and dillo.

But as someone already said. A better approach might be to get a newer machine. Raspberry PI comes to mind as a potentially cost effective replacement..:o). Or maybe wait a few months and get a PINE64?

Well that is my 2cents anyway. If yor intent is to stick with what you got, grap a compy of Into the core and give it a shot..:o)

Happy new year
Uten

xdrazen

**cannot make that

#6 Post by xdrazen »

Right now, all of them are working, and they run even making me surprise about their perfomance.
With those low task of minimum web browsing and ("ofimatica") office, they work as they should and i do not feel bad with them.

You have not responsed my true questions. What could i do with them.
Try that of the tinycore? may i copy the "warypuppy.iso" content to the scsi drives? try to build the ltsp? Make remote desktops?

xdrazen

#7 Post by xdrazen »

Uten wrote:Sad to say but you can't expect much of a desktop experience from those machines. Personally I would try tinycore on them. The book into the core explains the system reasonably well. puppylinux 4xx (?) should work reasonably well if you take your time. But you know there has been a lot of updates and refinements since it came out. If you really have to surf the web with those machines I recommend w3m and dillo.

But as someone already said. A better approach might be to get a newer machine. Raspberry PI comes to mind as a potentially cost effective replacement..:o). Or maybe wait a few months and get a PINE64?

Well that is my 2cents anyway. If yor intent is to stick with what you got, grap a compy of Into the core and give it a shot..:o)

Happy new year
Uten
BTW thanks a lot for your response. A bit more of light here ^^.
Cyberorg from the ltsp irc channel suggested me too to use tinycore, and for more "heavy" task make the tiny core a remotedesktop client. Have no idea about how to, but i will read a lot and try to make a text for refference.
Not sure about what puppy should i download the 4xx...

Fossil

#8 Post by Fossil »

xdrazen. You have very good intentions - and I can see that you are enthusiastic - but (and there is always a 'but') for the most part you will find it a hard struggle to get any potential from such low memory computers. I do not wish to discourage you especially if you have your heart set on it, but (that word again), there is a severe limitation to what can be accomplished. Follow Starhawk's advice; try to put in as much memory in each computer as possible. Someone mentioned the Puppy 4.x series? Yes, it is workable (again with as much memory as can be squeezed in). See here for some of the distros: http://412collection.neocities.org/ However, the world and computing is moving on. It just depends upon what you wish to do. At least with Puppy you do have considerable choice. And, if the computer's are free - what is wrong with that. Please take some time to read through the forums messages; there is lot of information covering the use of computers similar to yours. Enjoy the learning experience!

mikeslr

Alternatives for Low RAM computers

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi xdrazen,

I haven't tried starhawks recommendation of Precise 571 Retro. But his experience speaks for itself.

See this thread regarding my experience and recommendations. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 287#874287

In light of starhawk's experience with Precise 571 Retro, in addition to the first (basic) Lupu iso I recommended in the above post, you might also consider Lupusuper2 further down on the webpage I linked to where rerwin hosts the ISOs. Lupusuper2 is based on the same kernel as Precise 571 retro.

But I think your best bet is to take the time to explore and learn how to boot the debiandogs. They're not "Pups". Saintless customized debianlive images to look and act like Frugal Pups. Fredx181 developed the "porteus" boot system, making them even more Pup-like. I've been able to boot a couple of them to desktop using only 66 mbs of RAM (reducing the computer's usage of considerable amounts of RAM by booting "pfix=nocopy" so that only required files were initially copied into RAM). Subsequently, using a version of firefox only a couple months old, I was able to simultaneously open two fairly rich webpages (google Cat images; google Dog images) and still had only used about 180 Mbs of RAM.

A swap file or partition would help. More RAM will help even more.

mikesLr

xdrazen

About old releases

#10 Post by xdrazen »

Again, thanks a lot for your responses.
I am a bit afraid about the old releases, be cause when i tried some old releases of ubuntu comands like "sudo apt-get install XXXXX" did not has response for not be a suported version.

The maximum that i would like to do is have copatibility with xml format (read office 2007++). A minimum audio player and web browsing kinda:
wikipedia gmail facebook (not youtube, i do not guess that the machines could handle it, even trying to play some wmv video it got laggy)

As i told, the machines CAN boot the 5.5 wary puppy live cd, but if i try to install it i got kernel panic. As alternative i would like to put the "puppy.iso" content in the HDD SCSI.

The best option that i have saw is make those things like remote desktop or the ltsp alternative... I will open a new post about it. Right now you trhowed me enough lights. Thanks a lot

xdrazen

A interesting option

#11 Post by xdrazen »

http://www.remmina.org/wp/
https://www.nomachine.com/
http://itekblog.com/tiny-core-linux-rem ... top-kiosk/

Right now if anybody has some suggestions or experience about them please say it. May be had better make another trhead for this?

darry1966

#12 Post by darry1966 »