Linux Users=Idiots?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
AbnorF

Linux Users=Idiots?

#1 Post by AbnorF »

Hi, I was surfing the web for Linux memes and found this arguement (see 'Attachment'). What's your opinion? I would post my opinion later...
Attachments
post-447111-0-86515700-1346436584.jpg
(44.28 KiB) Downloaded 1278 times

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

I consider linux a complete training method for the brain. Watching TV and using Windows or smartphones turn off the neurons.

rufwoof

#3 Post by rufwoof »

A GUI is a simpler way to launch programs (do things) than having to type in textual commands (command prompt).

Puppy is a simple GUI, a XML file, a bit like a HTML file (markup language).

jwm is a simple menu system, described in textual files.

ROX provides the pinboard for the xml files, and file manager/navigation.

Combined - a relatively simple/small/fast choice. Set up a puppy and then cast that in stone, booting pfix=ram with no savefile and you have the exact same puppy each and every time. Just have to store data/docs outside (on HDD). Virus or corruption during any one session eradicated by a simple reboot. Like a new pristine factory fresh installation each and every time.

A consistent reliable hammer that's the exact same each time you use it. Contrast that with Windows that takes a simple 'program launcher' GUI interface to idiotic levels, virus scanners, constant updates/changes ... a different hammer/tool that needs constant reviewing/learning to use ... detracting you from the task in hand to having to concentrate more on the dynamic tool in hand. Puppy in effect can instal a new installation in less than a minute. How long does it take to freshly install a Windows installation?

Fair enough Windows is more refined, polished and has a wealth of programs already to hand due to widespread popularity. In contrast it takes more effort/time to find and install equivalent Linux versions of such programs. Not so good if you need to constantly add new programs/functions, but most people use only a limited few programs, perhaps a browser to surf the net and read/send emails, a word process/office suite to do office/admin task with, and Puppy has easy options to install both browsers and office suites assuming the ones already included aren't the preferred choice.

For most other things people tend to use dedicated devices, a gamebox to play games, a smart phone to make calls, take photos/videos ....etc. - the most popular of which run Linux (Android).

An idiots idea of a idiot is like two negatives making a positive.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

AbnorF

#4 Post by AbnorF »

Exactly what I had on my mind. Thanks!

ally

#5 Post by ally »

I've spent a couple days playing with the raspberry pi setting up samba and minidlna servers

nearly shot myself in the face, sudo this sudo that, feck!

:)

solo

#6 Post by solo »

They should remake that cartoon for Windows users with picture showing the chainlock installed on the outside of the door instead of the inside.

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

Nicely said, rufwoof.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Rattlehead

#8 Post by Rattlehead »

1) The picture puts things MUCH worse than things are. Some wretched guy has spent a lot of time and neurons on making it look convoluted and complex. When Linux works, works as the lightning. When it does not it drives you nuts, granted, but it would be interesting to do the statistics of how many "doors" you get to open in Linux vs Winmac.

2) I (personal case) don't use Linux because it gets 'complicated', but in spite that it gets complicated. I've been born with the gift of an inclination for computers, so I can happily choose, and with Linux, I'm certain that a higher % of MY computer cycles belong to ME, as opposed to Winmac's creepy maneuvers under the hood "to provide their great service".

If I hadn't this gift, I'd probably couldn't tell the difference, but I do know, so I can choose. The door metaphor, in case of WinMac, would be more a thug opening the door for you and then saying "see how easy it opens? Now give me $300 because I installed the new version of the lock, and give me your 20 fingerprints too, for security you know, and on second thought, you know what? I'm going to chop your arms, you don't need them as I'm going to provide for all your needs... Oh, and you cannot go through the door just yet, wait while I install yet another lock version that will "protect" you far better"...
I don't see the simplicity anywhere in this option, so weighting pros and cons, by far I choose Linux.

LazY Puppy

#9 Post by LazY Puppy »

A guy who thinks of himself as intelligent for using needlessly complex and time-consuming methods of accomplishing simple tasks is truly the worst kind of idiot
Taking this saying literally such a guy would not being an idiot.

Basically the word "idiot" -which is originally a Greek word- just means "private person" or "individual person". So one could say it is describing a person being not "public" or trying to stay "private" as far as possible.

So, yes I'm an Idiot and this world actually needs much more Idiots as there is actually and much less Smombies as there is actually! :D

Explanation: Smombie is the youth word of the year 2015 in Germany and it is a combination of Smart-Phone and Zombie.

Some interesting Links on this:
De Docta Ignorantia
Nicholas of Cusa
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

bark_bark_bark

#10 Post by bark_bark_bark »

LazY Puppy wrote:Basically the word "idiot" -which is originally a Greek word- just means "private person" or "individual person". So one could say it is describing a person being not "public" or trying to stay "private" as far as possible.

So, yes I'm an Idiot and this world actually needs much more Idiots as there is actually and much less Smombies as there is actually! :D

Explanation: Smombie is the youth word of the year 2015 in Germany and it is a combination of Smart-Phone and Zombie.
Agreed, I just prefer keep to myself so I don't get end up getting infected with "Smombism" (did I do that right?) and have my IQ drop.

unicorn316386

#11 Post by unicorn316386 »

Puppy is easy, free, and works out-of-the-box. Windows 8 and 10 on my 2005 laptop? Not so much. All I need is Firefox so why pay money for a new laptop? Remove XP and keep on going! :lol:

My guess is that the image above was created before 2003.

bark_bark_bark

#12 Post by bark_bark_bark »

unicorn316386 wrote:Puppy is easy, free, and works out-of-the-box. Windows 8 and 10 on my 2005 laptop? Not so much. All I need is Firefox so why pay money for a new laptop? Remove XP and keep on going! :lol:

My guess is that the image above was created before 2003.
It still grinds my gears when people claim you need to know how to use the command line to do anything in linux. If you are just using it for email and music, there is no need to use the command line. Almost every system tool these days has some sort of easy to use gui included with the distro so, again, you don't need a command-line.

tallboy

#13 Post by tallboy »

OK, so I am an idiot, and proud of it! And I am happy to say, I am in good company, because all you other idiots are thinking, curious, inventive, and pleasant individuals who are intelligent enough to be Puppy users, which must be the most idiotic way to use Linux, ever! :D

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

AbnorF

#14 Post by AbnorF »

I agree with you all. The image maker doesn't know this:
Attachments
Windows_Vs_Mac_Vs_Linux_9.jpg
(58.4 KiB) Downloaded 738 times

Rattlehead

#15 Post by Rattlehead »

tallboy wrote:OK, so I am an idiot, and proud of it! And I am happy to say, I am in good company, because all you other idiots are thinking, curious, inventive, and pleasant individuals who are intelligent enough to be Puppy users, which must be the most idiotic way to use Linux, ever! :D

tallboy
Me too, happy to be an idiot, and sorry that it took me so many years to become one! :D

@AbnorF, good one, I love the image! Especially the Mac, hehe, I'll never look at them the same way, poor little thing... :lol:

01micko

#16 Post by 01micko »

I might be an idiot but I'm sure no fool.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Marv

#17 Post by Marv »

rufwoof wrote:A consistent reliable hammer that's the exact same each time you use it.
A wonderful metaphor :!: I have 5 or 6 'hammers' out there that I have set up (much like your system) for windows refugees and they are stunned once they see that they can't break it. Turn it off, turn it on again, same hammer.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

drunkjedi

#18 Post by drunkjedi »

Ha ha
+1 micko

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: Linux Users=Idiots?

#19 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

AbnorF wrote:Hi, I was surfing the web for Linux memes and found this arguement (see 'Attachment'). What's your opinion? I would post my opinion later...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=93455

"windows for dummies, word for dummies, ...what's the combination to print? how do you select all?"

computers aren't intuitive--most of us have just gotten used to the ones most easily found in our environments. key combos save time, and so does command line. it's not like you forget the stuff once you learn it. i can set up any puppy pretty much any way i want in an hour or so, and this includes myriad personalizations (some of which were originally admittedly time-consuming in the making, but now they exist, so hey--instant transfer of the work). i can install ten puppies to this machine in under ten minutes if i wanted to. i have zero need to use windows or apple and see no advantage in doing so (slower, more expensive (not free) systems, and i'd have to learn stuff for the latter, having never used a mac in this millennium and maybe three or four times total in the previous). puppy's easier to work with than windows and probably and objectively requires less or equal training time for proficiency to set in. try teaching either to your granny--equal headache. or not. rox is very visual, but really, is control plus a easier, or do you reach for the mouse every time and use the graphical user interface option?

also, is that person calling out to linux users or trying to make the case that linux users= a person?

anyway, i can think of worse types of idiots than pseudo-intellectuals or people who waste time.

maybe this person is just trying to find someone to talk to? "hey, linux users, [statement]."

that's very interesting. you're a fascinating creature.
:cry: :lol:

:!:

my honest opinion, having used windows for twenty or so years and puppy linux for a little over three: windows sucks. it's cripple wear. it's purposely obstructionist to progress. it's progressed little in twenty years. it's slightly less of a joke than apple, which is even more marketing and hype. if they taught linux in school for half the time they teach what passes as history, the nations doing so would have the most advanced tech in the modern world. the fact that it would all be free to everyone would just be an i-guess-disagreeable-to-some bonus.

rufwoof

#20 Post by rufwoof »

Marv wrote:
rufwoof wrote:A consistent reliable hammer that's the exact same each time you use it.
A wonderful metaphor :!: I have 5 or 6 'hammers' out there that I have set up (much like your system) for windows refugees and they are stunned once they see that they can't break it. Turn it off, turn it on again, same hammer.
I see the latest Windows hammer instructions state that more users catch a cold if they hold the hammer towards the long end of the handle and accordingly users should hold the hammer handle near the hammer head end when using - as a anti-virus measure.

This weeks hammer is made of nice blue coloured glass, and users should open their toolbox and locate/use the associated eye protectors. But only after they've applied the Windows padlock to the $200 tower stack toolbox the user bought (believing for themself). The lock is inteligent, and requires a monetary key to be opened - but locks out and contacts Windows if any non-Windows tools are attempted to be deposited into the toolbox.

Next week ... well obviously there'll be a bug fix patch for the glass hammer and users will be expected to wait for a hour whilst the fixes are applied. Meanwhile that idiot Linux guy will have come along opened his old battered toolbox, grabbed a hammer out of that - that is clearly more than 10 years old, bish-bash-boshed - job-done and gone off onto the next job in hand.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]