What is the Fastest Puppy for a Old Laptop?

Booting, installing, newbie
Lassar

What is the Fastest Puppy for a Old Laptop?

#1 Post by Lassar »

I am thinking about installing puppy linux on this laptop.

I tried DSL, and did not like the look and feel of the desktop.

I tried a live wary puppy cd, and seamoney was way too slow.

Is there a puppy linux that would be faster then wary 5.5.

shadow of viper`

#2 Post by shadow of viper` »

Hi Lassar,

128MB of RAM is low even for puppy linux (modern ones)

You said you tried running Wary off a live CD?
From what i read so far, i understand a full installation with a swap partition gives computers with low RAM, a better performance than a live cd or frugal installation

There is Turbopup Extreme specifically aimed to give the best performance on older hardware
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40477

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Trust me when I tell you not to bother.

I have a Dell Latitude CPi with almost exactly the same specs (33MHz slower CPU, but a real Pentium 2, not a Celeron) and it is utterly worthless even with Precise 571 Retro. Expect things to not work because back then there were a lot more manufacturers to make "weird stuff" with different configurations from what the drivers want etc etc etc.

That, and it will be incredibly slow. Expect a half-second lag, minimum, from click to action with any Pup newer than basically 4xx-series, which won't run basically any genuinely recent software, especially browsers. Flash won't run at all on that hardware, and HTML5 will positively crawl. YouTube will probably just straight-up crash or freeze the system. Even Softmaker FreeOffice, which is pretty light, will take multiple minutes to open. Don't even try LibreOffice.

Also, anything compiled to need SSE or SSE2 instructions (especially Chrome/Chromium) won't even come close to running on that system. SSE dates to Pentium 3, SSE2 to Pentium 4. 333MHz in a mobile Celeron is a Tocino-core module (not really a chip) based on the Pentium II.

The good news is that you might be able to get $25 on eBay for the system if you're patient enough...

tl;dr forget it, it's not worth your time, sell it on eBay and get some dough.

nic007

Re: What is the Fastest Puppy for a Old Laptop?

#4 Post by nic007 »

Lassar wrote:I am thinking about installing puppy linux on this laptop.

Your specs are very low however reading from a CD will be slow. To get a better idea of how Wary will run, you can copy the main SFS file to your hard drive. Boot again from the CD and the system should be read from the SFS on the hard drive which should be faster. This will be a quick test but in the long-run you will probably need a swap file or swap partition to run Puppy properly on that machine. An even older Puppy like Puppy412 will be faster but it's a bit outdated now.

shadow of viper`

#5 Post by shadow of viper` »

starhawk wrote:Trust me when I tell you not to bother.
words straight from the master himself...

@starhawk, i found the thread where you posted about getting puppy to run on your laptop
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98521

mcewanw

Re: What is the Fastest Puppy for a Old Laptop?

#6 Post by mcewanw »

Lassar wrote:I am thinking about installing puppy linux on this laptop.

I used to have a laptop with similar specs about 8 years ago and I used to run Puppy 2.17 on it reasonably successfully (even gxine video playing worked okay or old vlc version with sufficient cache as far as I remember). Old original Geekbox (version 1 or somesuch) worked fastest of all when it came to playing videos/dvds, but old programs like these no doubt won't play modern codec created videos. Also the old seamonkey will probably not render lots of modern websites, so bit of a battle getting good results really. Basic Linux would probably be at least faster (google for links to such).

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#7 Post by saintless »

You can use such old machine and it will work fast if you have some linux experience with apt-get command line. Start with old Debian live like Etch or Lenny without Xorg and you will have choice of 18 000 packages for old hardware.
Jwm-P-MMX-1.jpg
Jwm-P-MMX-2.jpg
Jwm-P-MMX-3.jpg
PIII-KDE
PIII-Gnome
PIII-Jwm-FF3.0+flashplayer

Toni

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

@shadow -- thank you for the kind words. I wouldn't consider myself a master just yet (there is something Cardbus on that freaking laptop that Precise 571 Retro refuses to work with... and I can't seem to figure that one out) -- but thank you nonetheless.