How to setup Wary 5.5 for Internet in old computer?

Booting, installing, newbie
Salty-san

How to setup Wary 5.5 for Internet in old computer?

#1 Post by Salty-san »

I need to use this old IDE computer so I installed Warry 5.5 on. Full install, Xorg (or whatever the better one is) and all seems to be going well so far. It only has 1 partition and few space but it will be useful for some stuff, so because I am not really used to Puppy or Linuxes in general I will need your help to setup what I need.

For now just looking at getting the Internet and Browsing as a priority, particularly for viewing videos on the web. Problem is I don't know how to even manage the connection...

1) ISP requires a username and pass, but this Pup doesn't seem to have the framework for that in networking for cable, altho' it may not be necessary since I have a router for Ethernet, so will that suffice?

2) I do have a wireless USB stick for connecting to the router, which works on Windows machines, but it does not see it in Wary, nor does it see the .ISO file of the installer for the wireless.

Those are my priorities, but do tell if you need more info and what other improvements I can make.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

:D Hey Salty,

The user / pass for your provider(?) can be accessed via your browser. What you wanna do first is open the connection wizard in Setup. Then clk "Wired or wireless LAN" and move on to "Simple," see if it detects your wired, or ethernet card. The rest may be intuitive if you go ahead and roll with it.

Maybe get this far then post back with a heads up, OK.
Attachments
detected_ethernet_driver.jpg
(69.23 KiB) Downloaded 538 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you have Wary 5.5 connected to a router with an Ethernet cable, then the connection should be automatic - you should be able to open a browser and get directly to the Internet. No setup is required.

If that isn't working, there may be a problem with the Ethernet card in this old computer and the driver it requires.

When you connect Windows machines to your router by Ethernet cable, is some kind of login procedure required?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply?

Salty-san

#5 Post by Salty-san »

rcrsn51 wrote:If you have Wary 5.5 connected to a router with an Ethernet cable, then the connection should be automatic - you should be able to open a browser and get directly to the Internet. No setup is required.

If that isn't working, there may be a problem with the Ethernet card in this old computer and the driver it requires.

When you connect Windows machines to your router by Ethernet cable, is some kind of login procedure required?
Yeah I figured it might work easier if I just connect to a routers USB port, but I couldn't be arsed to find out where I put spare ethernet cables, as I was also too busy to get onto this project, hence the late reply but I tried to on several occasions.

Problem is that I need to know how to set up Internet regardless of circumstance, because this comp will either be in a different part of the house or will give it away, so I need it to work tightly no matter what or who. And of course I want to learn about how this distro works so might as well.

In Windows, regardless of versions, you want to setup a network connection and you are given several options, one of which is "Cable with Username and Pass", which is what the ISP gives, so that's why I didn't need to learn networking beyond that.

Semme, I tried your advice and even took a closer look in general but nothing. It does see the ethernet cable and I try a connect but beyond that it says that it failed. The Simple way that is. Looked a bit into the complicated way but still nothing so far.

I tried the Wireless USB Stick in the machine and went for wireless options but that seems to be for something else.

I got logs and screenshots if it will help, but so far I saw nothing that looks like an input for the data to get access to the ISP. But I do have time to work on this now, so fire away.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Salty-san wrote:In Windows, regardless of versions, you want to setup a network connection and you are given several options, one of which is "Cable with Username and Pass", which is what the ISP gives,
I have never seen this. Can you provide more details? What kind of internet service comes into your house? What kind of router do you have?

[Edit] Have you looked at PPPOE in the Connection Wizard menus?
I tried the Wireless USB Stick in the machine and went for wireless options but that seems to be for something else.
Puppy can definitely do WiFi, but an old Puppy like Wary will probably be missing the driver needed by your particular adapter.

Salty-san

#7 Post by Salty-san »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Salty-san wrote:In Windows, regardless of versions, you want to setup a network connection and you are given several options, one of which is "Cable with Username and Pass", which is what the ISP gives,
I have never seen this. Can you provide more details? What kind of internet service comes into your house? What kind of router do you have?

[Edit] Have you looked at PPPOE in the Connection Wizard menus?
Internet is optics fiber, pretty good. Connects to a modem with a bunch of light and USB ports. The Router that I was talking about is actually my wireless router, which already has the pass and logon set, which is why I think it might work. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

It's just that over here, the companies issue a user logon and pass for the connectivity to be live. I really don't know how else to explain it, since that's all I ever used, but in Windows 7 this basically just mean that you can turn it on and off from inside Windows, and so far I only ever used wireless on other types of Linux (but they all seem to be tricky to set up by cable and haven't tried it much).

The connection is PPOE actually, yes. I guess I could look for those options there but so far I was just focused on the buttons for network type and didn't mind the rest. I don't recall anything else useful, but will check.
Puppy can definitely do WiFi, but an old Puppy like Wary will probably be missing the driver needed by your particular adapter.
Seems that way but it does have wireless modem thingie with a long list of models, but seeing that made me drop it, lol. Adapter shouldn't be a modem however. I have a CD with the drives and it says it works on Linuxes too, but haven't tried it yet. I did have a clone of that disk, but it could not see the disk image, which is why I asked...

Does Puppy have anything for mounting virual images on a virtual drive? Like Power Iso or Daemon Tools for Windows.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please state the exact full name of your WiFi adapter. Also any version numbers.

WiFi may end up being a better connection method for you than wired.

scsijon

#9 Post by scsijon »

I seem to remember the same in Singapore and it was set in your local wifi settings on your router (or are you sharing one with others needing each). I'm using my 551. box on another partition at present so I can't check it. I do have an external dongle and router so I can check it.

You do have the 5.5.1 update pet installed I take it?

Salty-san

#10 Post by Salty-san »

rcrsn51 wrote:Please state the exact full name of your WiFi adapter. Also any version numbers.

WiFi may end up being a better connection method for you than wired.
It's a USB-N10 Nano Wireless-N Adapter from Asus. Works very well from Windows machines, but it seems it's moreso geared for Windows and Macs, but nothing is really mentioned about Linuxes. And I remember it couldn't hold connectivity in Ubuntu very well. ;/

Wired feels worse, as I tried to look at all settings and do a PpoE connection and all that. I looked at all the options somewhat half-assed but nothing looks like what it needed. PPoE one seems to want me to make the network myself which is why it asks for a user and pass or something. Maybe it could work if I could find the DNS address of the ISP, as that part I left out?

Also that modem/adapter list that I saw in settings was actually a module list and so it's not about drivers as I thought.
I seem to remember the same in Singapore and it was set in your local wifi settings on your router (or are you sharing one with others needing each). I'm using my 551. box on another partition at present so I can't check it. I do have an external dongle and router so I can check it.

You do have the 5.5.1 update pet installed I take it?
I tried to check which version it was but I couldn't find anything so I can't say for sure on that .1...But yeah it's 5.5 and I used a download from quite a few months ago, maybe a year, if that helps.

I am not sure what you mean by your first one, but if there is any way we can approximate and see what I have to work with, that would really help.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

Salty-san wrote:It's a USB-N10 Nano Wireless-N Adapter from Asus.
1. Plug in the adapter and run the command: lsusb
2. Check the vendor:product ID codes. They should be 0b05:17ba
3. Check your kernel version with: uname -r. It should be 2.6.32.59
4. Go here and get the driver 8192cu_wary53-k2.6.32.59.pet.
5. For your network connection program, I would recommend PeasyWiFi.

scsijon

#12 Post by scsijon »

Please go with rcrsn's peasywifi and the package listed in his message, it looks good and i'll download and try it myself.

However, your adapter should have come with a cd (small size one) as I got one the similar (after-market) one last month from one of my suppliers, shouldn't have cost you more than about $A10. CD has a group of zip files and one is marked as linux, opening that had drivers for different kernel groups and a (crappy) config program. Works but was clearly not completed.

Burn_IT

#13 Post by Burn_IT »

At worst - and often better - Puppy allows you to use the Windows network driver.
I have seen many Wireless network cards where the makers have supplied only very basic drivers for Linux that are grossly limited and the Windows ones work a lot better. The ones in this machine are a case where the Linux drivers do not support the 5Ghz band which I prefer to use when not roaming.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Salty-san

#14 Post by Salty-san »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Salty-san wrote:It's a USB-N10 Nano Wireless-N Adapter from Asus.
1. Plug in the adapter and run the command: lsusb
2. Check the vendor:product ID codes. They should be 0b05:17ba
3. Check your kernel version with: uname -r. It should be 2.6.32.59
4. Go here and get the driver 8192cu_wary53-k2.6.32.59.pet.
5. For your network connection program, I would recommend PeasyWiFi.
I've done it and those were indeed the correct return values. Also installed all those drivers, but a message came up telling me to turn off something else then, which I didn't yet. I'll attach a screenshot.

I opened the program, told it to scan for wireless networks but nothing came up. Also it's completely blank in that one drop down field.

And sorry again for the later reply, I thought I would have more time for this but something always came up. I didn't have a chance to do any of this until today, but it's not like I don't trust the advises.

I haven't yet tried it with the actual install CD for the Adapter though, but I guess I should.
Attachments
Drives install.png
I put off doing this to check first. Also I am not sure I know how to navigate around it to do so.
(125.55 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

That window just has instructions for disabling any other WiFi connection tools that might interfere with PWF. You don't need to worry about it.

In PWF, click the Status button. Does it list the wlan0 interface and the 8192cu driver? It may actually say "rtl8192cu" because old kernels mis-report this.

To be sure, run the command: lsmod | grep 8192. It should just say "8192cu".

PWF has two Scan buttons. The one on the main page JUST finds open networks, like at a library. To find your OWN network, go to the Profile page. Scan for it, fill in the information and make a profile.

Restart PWF, go to the main page and select your profile.

I have tested Wary 55 with your driver and it works fine. Have you read the Help on the main page?

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Salty-san: Are we done?

Salty-san

#17 Post by Salty-san »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Salty-san: Are we done?
I was busy and didn't realize how long it lasted. I had some problems on the ISP side too so had to make sure that wasn't the cause. But it seems it didn't matter.

SO what happened was, I checked that status and it was shown as "rtl8192cu" and ran the command and it indeed returned without the rtl part, but with like a "44211 0" after it.

I took my time looking at everything about the program and trying to make it work thoroughly for a few days now but in the end it still doesn't work, and I can't tell why.

All I know is that it says "wifi connected" on connection, but the actual reaching to url doesn't work so I don't know what to make of it. I think it also disconnects some time after, can't recall for sure right now (because it opens 2-3 windows at once and in one it says connect in others not).

If nothing else, I at least know how to do network in Puppy now so thanks a lot for your time anyway. We could keep working on the debug if you want. Like I could give you all logs and step by step and we could do this thoroughly, maybe there's something still missing.

But realistically I think this means something might be damaged on the hardware because it is a very old machine (but that shouldn't matter if the wireless adapter is external right?). I'm thinking of maybe dropping Puppy and going for some other OS (altho' not a lot can run on here) and then I'll know for sure what's what. But assuming it's not the hardware I'd prefer to stick to Puppy because it has everything one might need in an OS.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

@salty-san: I wonder if this old machine only has USB1, which might not be fast enough to handle WiFi.

Salty-san

#19 Post by Salty-san »

rcrsn51 wrote:@salty-san: I wonder if this old machine only has USB1, which might not be fast enough to handle WiFi.
Oh...Lol, well I used to think that too before but for some reason I didn't consider it lately, maybe because I have another old computer on which it works but even that one is much younger.

I am pretty sure this machine is just USB 1.0 because it's over 10 years old now so yeah, that's probably it. It would explain why it connects but doesn't work.

Anyway I already figured I might as well just try different OS's and see for cable. I mean this was mostly a burner machine that I intended to use for various experiments so on with that.

Unless...I mean I could still try and Ethernet it to the wireless router which already has the pass part sorted out. I just put that on hold because the plan was wireless might be better. I'll need to find a cable first though.

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

Salty-san wrote:maybe because I have another old computer on which it works
What works? Your 8192cu driver and PeasyWiFi?