only 32Bits puppys

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
akuma

only 32Bits puppys

#1 Post by akuma »

hello people i have some friends whit olds pcs and laptops and wish a list of all puppys in version of 32bits please can some one help me¿?

mikeslr

Re: only 32Bits puppys

#2 Post by mikeslr »

akuma wrote:hello people i have some friends whit olds pcs and laptops and wish a list of all puppys in version of 32bits please can some one help me¿?

Only by applying a negative search criteria. At Ally's (maintainer of archive.org) last count there were over 5,000 Puppies if you include remasters. Almost all Puppies have their own threads which will be on either the Puppy Projects or Puppy Derivatives Sections of this Forum. Occasionally a link to a Remaster will only appear in the thread of the Original Puppy which was the basis for the Remaster. The Title of a thread of an exclusively 64-bit Puppy will identify it as such. Occasionally a Puppy will be published in both 64-bit and 32-bit versions and, that being the only difference, will share a thread.

So, you can scan the Derivatives and Projects Sections and, if the Title doesn't identify it as a 64-bit Puppy, it's a 32-bit (or there will be a link on the 1st post to the 32-bit version). Of the 5,000 Puppies, only about one dozen are 64-bit, not counting their remasters or version upgrades.

So, your post asked for a list which would include over 4,900 names. :lol:

Not every Puppy will work with every computer; and many old Puppies, although providing or able to use applications adequate for most daily needs, are unable to run Web-browsers able to access today's graphic rich websites, or securely access any website. "One size doesn't fit all." You and your friends are better off knowing the limitations of each computer, what it's user hopes to do with it, and finding one or more Puppies which may be 'the right-fit'. I'll mention three which readily come to mind, radky's dpup-stretch, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 590#974590, jrb's Precise-light, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 58#1024458 and my remaster of Slacko 5.7, named Slacko 5.7.2 CE, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 93#1018293. But the question of which Puppy is the right one for an old computer frequently is asked on the Beginner's Section, where you and your friends can look or post your own specific inquiries.
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 27 Jul 2019, 23:19, edited 2 times in total.

ally

#3 Post by ally »

over 5120 now

:)

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

If you told use the specs of these computers, we could give good advice on what Puppy version to use.

In general it is best to use the newest versions.

In general, the ones you see in the first few pages of the Puppy Projects section of this forum.
The Puppy version topic should tell you if it is 32bit or 64bit.

Puppy Derivatives section of this forum also has some good Puppy versions.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

akuma

#5 Post by akuma »

I have downloaded these versions and I will try them one by one to see which one best suits the hardware of these old computers, thank you all for your comments

rufwoof

#6 Post by rufwoof »

Get any old 32 bit linux kernel to boot (typically with pfix=nox so X isn't loaded) and with DOSBox installed you can run the likes of old Win3.1, Breadbox Ensemble (formerly GeoWorks rival to Win 3.1), DOS graphical programs/games ..etc. within that. Ctrl-Alt-Fn between different sessions and even have multiple versions of those running at the same time. Generally that is quite responsive, although switching between them at times can be a bit laggy (a couple of seconds).

Dig out some of the old programs they used to run, and some are quite functional. In some cases not a great deal of difference compared to modern day equivalents.

Browsing (https) is the biggest hurdle as google have pretty much owned that protocol and demand that you run the latest things in order that they can better profile you and serve adverts/junk to you. But there is a whole other world out there, alternative protocols - more than enough to alleviate boredom - and what the old PC's might not be able to do, use your phone instead. You can't reasonably expect old hardware to run the latest bells-whistles http content.

The trick with dosbox is to tweak its config file within ~/.dosbox ... typically to set output=overlay instead of surface so that alt-enter full screen toggles and set usescancodes=false if the keyboard is all screwy.

If you compile your own version of a kernel bespoke for the hardware its running under, then the Linux kernel size with relevant modules included can be quite lightweight, less than 40MB with around 80MB of ram. DosBox added on top of that is also relatively lightweight - but subject to actual available ram you might see some boxes with low memory struggle to for instance have Ensemble running in one session, Win 3.1 in another, graphical DOS game in another.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

rockedge

#7 Post by rockedge »

just in case here is a 32 bit DOSBox PET
http://rockedge.org/kernels/data/PET/Bi ... 2-i686.pet

LNSmith

only 32Bit puppys

#8 Post by LNSmith »

Hello all!
I used this puppy for some months: stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.1.48 <<=====
I will continue to use it for some years into the future.
The hardware: a 15YO laptop = Dell Inspiron 8600.

My main use is "straight" text editing and I have not found a cut-down word processor that will match MS Word. Abi-Word is buggy, very buggy under da Stretch Puppy.
You should know that I fitted the 8600 with 2G memory. Don't try to run with less. Oh, your machine will run, but why hobble yourself when a few dollars will improve the system a great deal.
(And when you buy memory expect to get about 25% of the cards you buy to be faulty from the get-go.)

I find the Palemoon browser works effectively with Stretch Puppy.
If you have a larger machine (with PAE) I suggest you look at Tahr or Slack Puppy.
I see the large number of Puppy derivatives as BAD. Remember the words of Karl Gauss:
"Few but ripe".

Leslie

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Here's a couple of tips re. "old kit":
Try to avoid old laptops - they may not have a FD ! They are more difficult to find and/or update memory. They are too 'proprietary' and with a few exceptions, too difficult to activate/fix (but I still do so with interesting looking gifts!)
Make sure you keep your FD clean and lubricated as much of the early DOS/Win3.1 stuff was on FDs. Keep badgering the wannabes here and on other Fora NOT to write out FD media - it was a(nother) $$$-generating idea initiated and promoted by the WinTel cartel.
Old stuff can be much more fun, especially for the <~10yr-olds: their friends may not have seen it, and can confer, therefore, a level of street-cred!
Folks needing 'old' parts, esp. mem., cpu, etc. - feel free to ask.

Ananda98

Re: only 32Bits puppys

#10 Post by Ananda98 »

akuma wrote:hello people i have some friends whit olds pcs and laptops and wish a list of all puppys in version of 32bits please can some one help me¿?
Do you know the specifitacion of your friend's pc and laptop? It will help us to give options. Also, is he/she familiar with Linux?