Interesting read on cookies in PCLinuxOS magazine

For discussions about security.
peterw

Interesting read on cookies in PCLinuxOS magazine

#1 Post by peterw »

Just read about cookies here: https://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/202001/page04.html and found it interesting and worrying. I guess that with Puppy with a frugal install we can create a new savefile every so often and that would get rid of them for a while. The trouble is that all web sites "infect" your system.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

There are addons that allow you to whitelist a few necessary or convenient cookies and then periodically delete the rest.

I use https://github.com/Rob--W/cookie-manager, which is not pretty but does the job.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I think Firefox and SeaMonkey can do the same thing, though I haven't used either one for that.

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

There's a lot of devious bastards out there!
I run a live Puppy from RAM through a VPN, and set my PaleMoon to delete all cookies on shutdown, and delete PM entries in root/.cache. I shutdown and restart PM between browsed themes. My /etc/hosts have more than 22.000 blocked IPs. Sensitive emails are sent with Protonmail. I feel relatively safe.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

Actually in FF/seaMonkey there are two files that can be tossed named cookies and places. These are in the random-named folder with in the main folder.

As far as cookies, keep pencil/paper handy with those security answers. :oops:

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

I have my number-1 Puppy = Slacko-5.7.0-pae, configured so that it doesn't auto-save any session changes during the session [unless I click "Save", and almost never do so]...
And also, during shut-down/reboot, the default is "Don't save", and I almost always hit "Enter" to choose this.

Am I correct in thinking that this results in [new] cookies [and all other changes] not being saved?

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Sylvander wrote:I have my number-1 Puppy = Slacko-5.7.0-pae, configured so that it doesn't auto-save any session changes during the session [unless I click "Save", and almost never do so]...
And also, during shut-down/reboot, the default is "Don't save", and I almost always hit "Enter" to choose this.

Am I correct in thinking that this results in [new] cookies [and all other changes] not being saved?
Not if you are using portable web-browsers located on /mnt/home. They are constructed to have profiles within their own folder and cache files would, thus, be written immediately to the folder on Storage. But, yes if your web-browser runs from 'Puppy-Space', including /opt which is where just installing a web-browser portable pet would have installed the portable's folder.

Since I move such folders from their original location to /mnt/home, I always configure cache --all history-- to be cleared when a browser is closed. Important activity is undertaken with a freshly (re)opened web-browser before doing anything else.

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

mikeslr wrote:Not if you are using portable web-browsers located on /mnt/home. They are constructed to have profiles within their own folder and cache files would, thus, be written immediately to the folder on Storage. But, yes if your web-browser runs from 'Puppy-Space', including /opt which is where just installing a web-browser portable pet would have installed the portable's folder.
How best to discover which of my 2 Firefoxes, Palemoon and Slimjet are working from where?
I believe none of them are portable, but not certain.
When I search I find folders/files all over the place.
Semme set up my web browsers by taking control of my Desktop PC. :D

mikeslr wrote:Since I move such folders from their original location to /mnt/home, I always configure cache --all history-- to be cleared when a browser is closed. Important activity is undertaken with a freshly (re)opened web-browser before doing anything else.
a. e.g. I have /mnt/home/firefox_61 and /mnt/home/firefox_current-profile.
In "Firefox 64.0" web-browser [updated from 61?]:
Preferences->Privacy and Security:
a1. Trackers are blocked always.
a2. All 3rd-party cookies are blocked.
a3. "Do not track" is "Always".
a4. All 3rd party cookies and site data are blocked.

mouldy

#9 Post by mouldy »

dancytron wrote:There are addons that allow you to whitelist a few necessary or convenient cookies and then periodically delete the rest.

I use https://github.com/Rob--W/cookie-manager, which is not pretty but does the job.
This. I use Cookie AutoDelete addon in Firefox. You can whitelist any sites you want. Any other site it will delete all cookies when you leave that site. And you can set how many seconds until it deletes after you leave. You have to set "autoclean enabled" before it does anything. Its set "autoclean disabled" by default. Once you set it, it stays that way unless you change it manually.

I usually use Firefox but have Chromium too. There is similar addon for it.