Dell D630 laptop wifi, video streaming problem (driver?).

Using applications, configuring, problems
dcung

Dell D630 laptop wifi, video streaming problem (driver?).

#1 Post by dcung »

I have few Dell D630 old laptops with BionicDog64. I used them mainly to watch video streaming.
The wifi is unstable/unreliable connection when used for video streaming (tried with Frisbee and PeasyWifi). When used with wired connection no problem.
When I used Windows 10, wifi video streaming OK. I just like to use Linux, it boots faster and lower CPU utils.
I'd like to check if I am using the latest Linux wifi driver and if there's any solution/workaround.

Dell Latitude D630 laptop, Intel Core2Duo @2.40Ghz, 3GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Wifi Broadcom 4321.
I copied the driver (b43) from XenialPup64.

I found this.
http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/e ... ivers/b43/
BCM4321: some cards do not work in DMA mode with kernel 3.1 and older. Problem was fixed in 3.2. A workaround for older kernel is to use PIO mode (b43.pio=1 module param).

How do I:
1. check the version I'm using (I used dmesg, and also command from link above - is that how?).
2. what is the latest available.
3. Where should I put (b43.pio=1 module param) if I want to test

Thank you.
Last edited by dcung on Thu 23 Apr 2020, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

ozsouth

#2 Post by ozsouth »

To try your fix, you need to append the kernel line in your boot config (grub.cfg?) with b43.pio=1 then reboot.

If this doesn't work, you probably need the wl driver for your pup, first blacklisting b43, bcma, brcmsmac, ssb.

To get correct wl driver, need to know which exact pup version & kernel are you using (run uname -a in a terminal).

dcung

#3 Post by dcung »

ozsouth wrote:To try your fix, you need to append the kernel line in your boot config (grub.cfg?) with b43.pio=1 then reboot.

If this doesn't work, you probably need the wl driver for your pup, first blacklisting b43, bcma, brcmsmac, ssb.

To get correct wl driver, need to know which exact pup version & kernel are you using (run uname -a in a terminal).
Thank you ozsouth.
dancytron gave me a link which was very helpful. I managed to load wl driver now.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 57#1055757

dcung

#4 Post by dcung »