32-bit Palemoon won't stream BBC iplayer

Using applications, configuring, problems
bigphil

32-bit Palemoon won't stream BBC iplayer

#1 Post by bigphil »

I'm running Bionicpup 64bit on my main machine and Palemoon streams BBC iplayer even though Flashplayer isn't installed.
However on my lesser machine I'm running Tahrpup 32 bit and Palemoon will not stream iplayer unless Flashplayer is installed.
However I have got to sort out the 32 bit machine as the BBC are stopping streaming using Flash shortly.

I wondered if the BBC were streaming using both Flash and HTML5 and the 32 bit browser does not support HTML5.

Have any of you clever people got any ideas?

Regards
Phil.

Mercedes350se

#2 Post by Mercedes350se »

Clasping at straws here - are the Palemoon versions the same?
Any particular reason you are using Palemoon and not another browser?

bigphil

#3 Post by bigphil »

Both browsers are the same issue (latest) although as I stated the none working one is 32bit.
The reason I use Palemoon is it's the default browser for both versions of Puppy.
I tried Firefox Quantum in the 32bit version and that exhibits the same problem which makes me wonder if there is a problem with the 32bit Tahrpup operating system.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bigphil:-

Just checked this out myself. I watch stuff on iPlayer fairly regularly - mostly in 64-bit Pups, with Chromium-based 'clones'. I do, however, run radky's DPup 'Stretch' 7.5, which is 32-bit.

Trying it out just now, watching iPlayer in my 32-bit Palemoon-portable @ v28.9.1 (current), everything checks out fine. I do have Flash installed, though like you, I was aware that come June/July, "Auntie" will be stopping the Flash-based streaming. I have to assume this means that things will henceforth be HTML5-based, instead.....

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... Idnd8ClfFi

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 29 Apr 2020, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Mercedes350se

#5 Post by Mercedes350se »

bigphil wrote: The reason I use Palemoon is it's the default browser for both versions of Puppy.
Why not install BionicPup32 and seamonkey 2.48 (that I am using) - iplayer works a treat.

bigphil

#6 Post by bigphil »

Mike - were you streaming using Flash or HTML5?

Mercedes350se - my 32 bit machine is a bit low spec so I think it might struggle with Bionic, it struggles a bit using Tahr.
I will try Seamonkey though

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Hey BP, how about a sample URL of something you'd like to watch. I have an idea we can test..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

bigphil

#8 Post by bigphil »

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigphil wrote:Mike - were you streaming using Flash or HTML5?

Mercedes350se - my 32 bit machine is a bit low spec so I think it might struggle with Bionic, it struggles a bit using Tahr.
I will try Seamonkey though
I tried it both with, and without Flash, in DPup Stretch. Worked in both cases. However, I believe you're right.

I tried out a clean install of Tahrpup 6.0.6 (no real difference to 6.0.5). Palemoon-portable would bring up iPlayer, and even start the video stream.....but it wouldn't, in fact, play. Just sat there, "frozen"....

Installed Flash. No change. Then I remembered a trick that's needed in Tahrpup, due to its using the 'alternative' avconv (from the Libav project) for media manipulation; deleting /usr/bin/avconv, and recreating it as a sym-link to /usr/bin/ffmpeg.

Still no joy. I even replaced Tahrpup's ffmpeg with an up-to-date 'static' compile from John Van Sickle, and compressed right down using the lzma-based UPX 'compressor' utility. Nothing.

There's something in Tahrpup that iPlayer doesn't like, but I can't figure out what it is yet. I couldn't even get iPlayer to behave itself with FF-Quantum, FF68esr, OR Vivaldi-portable. All I ever got was a "frozen" image.

What happens when you try iPlayer? Do you get anything show at all..?

------------------

Might be worth your trying out radky's DPup 'Stretch' 7.5. I have it running very sweetly on my 18-yr old Dell Inspiron lappie - to which you will find many references throughout this Forum! - and although we're talking about a P4 and a gig-and-a-half of DDR1, it's still acceptably smooth.....just 'stately', is the best description for it! P4s will always seem slow by today's standards, but they do just keep chugging along.....the things are damn near unburstable.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 30 Apr 2020, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

bigphil

#10 Post by bigphil »

When I try to stream from Iplayer it sit their for a while then comes up with 1 of 2 messages either 1 'prompting me to install Flash' or 2 'telling me that the content isn't working please try again later' well something like that.

It seems you went down the same path as me Mike as I also updated ffmpeg but no go.

This gets curiouser and curiouser.
I install the 64 bit version of Tahrpup and it streams just fine without flash.
I even installed the 32 bit compatible libraries and tried to install the 32 bit version of Palemoon but couldn't get it to run.

I have Precise 571 on my 32 bit machine so I tried Seamonkey but that failed, mind you it is very old and I can't yet figure out how to update it.
I then loaded the Glibc tweaked version of Palemoon and guess what - it won't stream without Flash, mind you ffmpeg is very old so I might update it and take out avconv.

Unfortunately this is as far as I can go because I've hit the limits of my knowledge, I will try DPup 'Stretch' 75 though.

Regards
Phil

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bigphil:-

If you stick with Tahrpup, there's nowt wrong with updating ffmpeg - Pups tend to employ quite old, stripped-down versions - but in Tahrpup you can't actually get rid of avconv. 'Trusty' was the only Ubuntu release in recent years that for some stupid reason had returned to this older approach. I can't imagine what Canonical were thinking of at the time they did this..!

Tahrpup will be looking for avconv; it won't be looking for ffmpeg. You can, however, ensure that ffmpeg gets used "globally" within Puppy by deleting avconv, then creating a 'relative' link from ffmpeg called avconv:-

Right-click on 'ffmpeg'; select 'Link'. Edit the wee window that comes up to make sure it reads /usr/bin/avconv. Then, hit 'Symlink'. Job done!

ffmpeg will replicate the same functions that avconv will have previously taken care of.....and applications that DO look directly for ffmpeg will find a newer version, if it's been upgraded.

This Q & A over at StackOverflow explains it all very neatly, including the historical 'split' within the original FFmpeg project due to a clash of personalities.....and a very confusing period of near-identical names from two forks heading in rather different directions.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/947 ... and-avconv

More:- http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html

------------------------------------------------------

However, don't let this stop you from at least trying 'Stretch'. It really IS that good; very reliable, and superbly stable, yet new enough to run much recent hardware without issues.....while at the same time just sipping at system resources.

Go for the k4.1.48 version, for older hardware. I think you'll like it.

(Tahr was the first ever Puppy that ran OOTB on ye anciente Dell lappie, 5½ years ago. It was a saga all by itself, due to the horrible graphics accelerator Intel used with that particular chipset..! I ran Tahr very happily on the Dell for nearly 2 years, but I admit I'd forgotten about some of these 'issues' that cropped-up from time to time.....)

----------------------------------------

[EDIT:-] You could try my SeaMonkey 'portables', if you like. Totally self-contained, and will run from anywhere in your system. It's not a favourite of mine - too 'quirky' for my liking! - but it's a staple of Puppy, dating back many years, and a lot of people still seem to like it. I had a spell of 'portabilizing' every Mozilla-based browser we use in Puppy (including some with a built-in glibc 'upgrade', for folks wishing to run a newer browser in an older Puppy).....and SeaMonkey was about the last I turned my hand to.

And then I started on the Chromium-based 'clones'...!! :roll: :lol:

Thanks for the inspiration for all of these must go to the redoubtable fredx181, developer of many of the 'Dogs'.....who fired my imagination with his 'portable' FF-Quantum. The rest, as the old 'saw' would have it, is history..... :D

bigphil

#12 Post by bigphil »

@Mike:-

Well theirs good news and bad news.

I installed 'Stretch' as you suggested and viola, it streams using HTML5, the bad news is it's unusable. It keeps hanging up and the CPU is running flat out, I guess HTML5 is more resource hungry than Flash.
It looks like my 15year old Lappie (you thought yours was ancient) with it's 512Mb of Ram and it's 1.3Ghz processor, that's been been toddling along for years thanks to Puppy, has finally met it's match.

Thanks for the info on updating FFmpeg, I didn't realise you have to create a symlink, I just deleted avconv and installed the new FFmpeg.
Mind you the symlink was named FFmpeg and it's target was avconv so I assumed Puppy was looking for FFmpeg.

I don't think there is any point in putting a post on the Palemoon Forum as it seems Operating System related

Thanks for your help.

Phil.