Viz 2.15 Final updated release

News, happenings
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Viz 2.15 Final updated release

#1 Post by Lobster »

An updated version of Puppy Final with all the patches has now been made available

mirrors and torrents required again guys :)

md5sum
8e3ea16dda19d2e21ffe1f7f3acbb975 puppy-215CE-Final.iso

132MB - Puppy will still load totally in memory on a 128MB computer
and 64MB and lower if using a swap file

ISO & sfs files mirror:
http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy215CE/
(download puppy-215CE-Final.iso initially)

Can the owners of these mirrors update if possible :)
New ones also welcome

Iblio
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppylinux/∞

Iblio mirror
http://www.puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm∞

MU's mirror:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-01-to-06 ... CE-Final/∞

Richards Mirror
http://micro-hard.homelinux.net/puppy/d ... Final.iso∞

Torrent
http://www.eggdisk.com/files/341972_jav ... o.torrent∞
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PhilCoo

#2 Post by PhilCoo »

Thanks to all concerned for the patched version,just set-up with no problems.

Phil 8)

MU

#3 Post by MU »

dragonfly

puppy 2.15 CE Release

#4 Post by dragonfly »

That's it. I've opened an account at www.eggdisk.com

and it's possible to share the new puppy right now here :

http://www.eggdisk.com/browse/dragonfly/44270

Your suggestions are welcome.

:D

hagisbasheruk

#5 Post by hagisbasheruk »

Is the fixmenu error fixed on this patched version ?
fixmenu comand makes menubar loose dotpups entries 2.15CE

On a good point enlightenment 16 works fine in 2.15CE,can someone do a Eterm and Esound pup for it ;)

mysticmarks

Re: puppy 2.15 CE Release

#6 Post by mysticmarks »

dragonfly wrote: and it's possible to share the new puppy right now here :

The link is bad.

mysticmarks

badmd5

#7 Post by mysticmarks »

your md5sum looks for a different iso file

MU

#8 Post by MU »

I just had renamed the iso from the name the upload had.
I also changed the md5-file now. Thanks for the hint :)
Mark

WhoDo

#9 Post by WhoDo »

hagisbasheruk wrote:Is the fixmenu error fixed on this patched version ?
fixmenu comand makes menubar loose dotpups entries 2.15CE
There is no actual "error" per se. Fixmenus migrates dotpup entries with .desktop files in /usr/share/applications to the correct part of the menu structure. That's what it was intended to do.

OTOH, if your dotpup doesn't have a .desktop file, then you have to create one. Fixmenus creates a backup copy of your static menu file in /root (but hidden), so you can always go back and find the command that executes the application.

Creating .desktop files is a snack. Just copy an existing file for an application that lives in the menu area you want the new file to go to, and use a text editor to change its contents to match the new application. Run fixmenus again, refresh your WM and voila!

You can also use /usr/local/XDG-menu-for-alien-packages to create the .desktop file for you. It has a GUI interface so you don't have to worry about editing files manually.

Hope that helps, Jimmy. :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

ralphv

Re: Viz 2.15 Final updated release

#10 Post by ralphv »

Lobster wrote: 132MB - Puppy will still load totally in memory on a 128MB computer
I tried it on a 160M computer, when I open a program, it loads off the cd, so it doesn't load completely into RAM

Ralph

WhoDo

#11 Post by WhoDo »

ralphv wrote:
Lobster wrote: 132MB - Puppy will still load totally in memory on a 128MB computer
I tried it on a 160M computer, when I open a program, it loads off the cd, so it doesn't load completely into RAM

Ralph
I'm not sure you understand the way Puppy functions. Of the 132Mb that makes up the ISO file, 111Mb is in the pup_215.sfs file that is Puppy. There is also 17Mb in zdrv_215.sfs which is the on-demand drivers squash file, and there are one or two other bits and pieces.

Bottom line: Puppy the operating system, being the pup_215.sfs file, loads entirely in RAM and runs from there. The CD is accessed when you load drivers, etc. Once loaded, you can remove the LiveCD from the drive and Puppy will continue to function in all ways.

If your Puppy is accessing the LiveCD when you open a program, that may simply be a program looking for a printer driver or some such, or you may be trying to load a program from a plug-in file such as OOo_215.sfs. Try removing the LiveCD BEFORE you attempt to load that program just to see what happens.

BTW, we puppy's prefer it if people to ask questions rather than make accusations. It would have been much better if you had asked "why does my Puppy access the LiveCD when I load a program" rather than suggesting we are being untruthful in our claims about Puppy's ability to run entirely from RAM.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

dragonfly

#12 Post by dragonfly »

mysticmarks wrote:
dragonfly wrote: and it's possible to share the new puppy right now here :

The link is bad.
Hi there, this link is good for me!!

or
http://www.eggdisk.com/myfiles?folder_id=44270

This page is quite long to open.

It says :

Welcome dragonfly!

This folder belongs to dragonfly (View all)

View mode: Details - BB Code - HTML Code - Slideshow
There are 2 files in this folder.

(1 - 2 of 2) File name Size Views Upload date
puppy-215CE-Final.iso 132 MB Never 20 hours ago
puppy-215CE-Final.md5.txt 56 B Never 20 hours ago

Cheers :D

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

dragonfly wrote:Hi there, this link is good for me!!

...[snip]...

It says :

Welcome dragonfly!

This folder belongs to dragonfly (View all)
Nope. It says, for me at least:
The folder you requested is not available. Either you do not have the permission to view it (try logging in) or it may have been deleted by the owner.

can8v

#14 Post by can8v »

Is there anyway at all of downloading 2.15CE I have tried the single bit torrent listed here and it is apparently no longer available and neither is the web resources apparently they have exceeded there maximum bandwidth. If I can get it I can make it available over a T3 using BitTorrent for about 8 hours on Thursday. And put it on my site Friday - Sunday or until I run out of bandwidth whichever comes first. I will check back later to see if this helps anyone. I have to go put up a fence right now. l8r

Yaverot

#15 Post by Yaverot »

.torrent file not found
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

ralphv

#16 Post by ralphv »

WhoDo wrote:
ralphv wrote:

Ralph
I'm not sure you understand the way Puppy functions. Of the 132Mb that makes up the ISO file, 111Mb is in the pup_215.sfs file that is Puppy. There is also 17Mb in zdrv_215.sfs which is the on-demand drivers squash file, and there are one or two other bits and pieces.

Bottom line: Puppy the operating system, being the pup_215.sfs file, loads entirely in RAM and runs from there. The CD is accessed when you load drivers, etc. Once loaded, you can remove the LiveCD from the drive and Puppy will continue to function in all ways.

If your Puppy is accessing the LiveCD when you open a program, that may simply be a program looking for a printer driver or some such, or you may be trying to load a program from a plug-in file such as OOo_215.sfs. Try removing the LiveCD BEFORE you attempt to load that program just to see what happens.

BTW, we puppy's prefer it if people to ask questions rather than make accusations. It would have been much better if you had asked "why does my Puppy access the LiveCD when I load a program" rather than suggesting we are being untruthful in our claims about Puppy's ability to run entirely from RAM.

Cheers
I consider lying so bad, that it is extremely rare for me to accuse someone of lying. I was saying someone was mistaken, not untruthful. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I put the 215CE into the 160M computer, booted, and typed 'free'. It is using only 100636K of the RAM. Also, I am unable to remove the CD. When I load in Seamonkey, it reads off the CD. Then I put zdrv_215.sfs on the hard drive, so it could read from the hard drive instead. Rebooted, ran Seamonkey, still reads off the CD. Closed Seamonkey, reopened Seamonkey, this time it didn't read off the CD. Didn't time it, but timed abiword, reads for 5 seconds at 52X speed.

On my newer computer with 512 M, I am able to remove the CD.
And I don't notice the CD being accessed for 5 or more seconds when opening programs.

Ralph

WhoDo

#17 Post by WhoDo »

ralphv wrote:I put the 215CE into the 160M computer, booted, and typed 'free'. It is using only 100636K of the RAM. Also, I am unable to remove the CD. When I load in Seamonkey, it reads off the CD. Then I put zdrv_215.sfs on the hard drive, so it could read from the hard drive instead. Rebooted, ran Seamonkey, still reads off the CD. Closed Seamonkey, reopened Seamonkey, this time it didn't read off the CD. Didn't time it, but timed abiword, reads for 5 seconds at 52X speed.
Try creating a pup_save.2fs file on the hard drive, or a USB drive. My suspicion is that Puppy is looking for saved settings and you actually have none, or they are saved to the LiveCD - hence the 5 seconds access when loading an app. Both Abiword and Seamonkey are actually inside the 111Mb pup_215.sfs so they will be loading from RAM, regardless of any CD access.

Hope that helps

ralphv

#18 Post by ralphv »

WhoDo wrote: Try creating a pup_save.2fs file on the hard drive, or a USB drive. My suspicion is that Puppy is looking for saved settings and you actually have none, or they are saved to the LiveCD - hence the 5 seconds access when loading an app. Both Abiword and Seamonkey are actually inside the 111Mb pup_215.sfs so they will be loading from RAM, regardless of any CD access.

Hope that helps
I have a pup_save file on the hard drive. No saving to the CD, it is a regular ROM CD, not multi-session. When I load puppy on the 512M computer, it uses way more RAM than it uses on the 160M computer. And isn't pup_215.sfs a compressed file, being a n sfs file? That mean it uses more than 111M when uncompressed.

Ralph

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

It is compressed, and is probably between two and three times as big when decompressed. However, it doesn't get decompressed. The pup_xxx.sfs file itself is copied into ram, then mounted. I think apps that are in use might get temporarily decompressed, but I'm not certain. I do know that they'll allocate memory when executed like if they had been run from the harddrive. They just get loaded from ram rather than a disk, which makes things much faster.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

ralphv wrote:I have a pup_save file on the hard drive. No saving to the CD, it is a regular ROM CD, not multi-session. When I load puppy on the 512M computer, it uses way more RAM than it uses on the 160M computer. And isn't pup_215.sfs a compressed file, being a n sfs file? That mean it uses more than 111M when uncompressed.
First things first: Pizzasgood is correct. The entire pup_215.sfs file is loaded into a RAM drive while compressed, mounted and only uncompressed "on-the-fly" as required. The proof of that is available by running Menu>Filesystem>Partview which will show the size and status of the RAM disk. For 2.15CE mine says the RAMdisk is 111Mb used with 1Mb free.

Since my computer is also a 512Mb DDR2 RAM machine, I thought I'd do a RAM comparison to see what the system says is being used. The results from Xproc with only the Window Manager and background apps open are as follows:

Full Hard Drive Install:
Total RAM: 507660Kb
Free RAM: 367480Kb
Buffers: 2276Kb
Cached: 72588Kb
Swap: 522104Kb
Swap Free: 522104Kb

As you can see there is no swap being used. It looks like about 130Mb is being used - Puppy will add to the RAM drive if there is free RAM, and of course applications are loaded into RAM when opened.

Frugal Hard Drive Install (same as LiveCD except loaded to RAM from hdd):
Total RAM: 507660Kb
Free RAM: 259576Kb
Buffers: 16248Kb
Cached: 188828Kb
Swap: 522104Kb
Swap Free: 522104Kb

Interestingly enough, it looks as though the Frugal install (like the LiveCD) creates more buffers and cache to speed up background processes. You should look at Barry's web site for the detail behind that.

Bottom Line: Puppy 2.15CE will load entirely and run in under 128Mb RAM. It will load in and run from RAM + swap with as little as 32Mb RAM, but more slowly due to the limitation of the hard disk speed affecting swap memory calls. If you have 160Mb RAM it is unlikely that you are using swap either. Use Menu>System>Xproc to confirm.

Hope that helps