Wine 0.9.35

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Gekko

Wine 0.9.35

#1 Post by Gekko »

Okay guys, I compiled wine today to find that it barely runs properly, if at all because of the old glibc. So I went out to find me a glibc 2.4 and found a mandriva one that seems to work flawlessly.

Seems to be very stable.
http://etc.bbqsrc.org/glibc-2.4.pet
There is little or no risk of using wine without the glibc, except it may not work
http://etc.bbqsrc.org/wine-0.9.35.pet

Don't have DotPet? Rename to a .tgz and extract.
Compiled on Puppy 2.14.
Last edited by Gekko on Mon 04 Jun 2007, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

I suppose I should get rid of wine 0.9.28 first before installing 0.9.35?
(in my case by not loading the 0.9.28 sfs,)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3 Post by Béèm »

So I disabled loading of the 0.9.28
Installed the glibc 2.4 and wine 0.9.35
At the end of the wine installation I got a long panel (going beyond the screen) saying wine was installed ok, but a long list of libraries were missing.

I executed commands and got errors?
sh-3.00# winecfg
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
sh-3.00# wine --version
wine: error while loading shared libraries: libwine.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sh-3.00# winefile
sh-3.00#
How do I go from here (2.16 beta)

Béèm

#4 Post by Béèm »

In spite of these errors, I can call winefile and install a program, which runs. But in some settings a characterset like iso8859-1 has to be choosen, but the list isn't there.
I suspect this must come frome wine, but it doesn't have this or am I seeing wrong?

Gekko

#5 Post by Gekko »

I used graphics accelerated drivers to compile wine, specifially the 3d-control-panel's fglrx (ati). That should only be a problem if you are playing games.
sh-3.00# wine --version
wine: error while loading shared libraries: libwine.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
That seems like a missing symlink. I'll look into it thanks, and yes there are many odd errors.

Ardee

#6 Post by Ardee »

I'm very keen to get wine going, but have had some problems, including a frozen PC. The ibwine.so.1 file is in usr/local/lib. Where should it be?

I've no idea how to use wine when it does work, so would be grateful for a link to a user guide if there is one.

Should there be wine entries in the menu? I had a corrupted message window appear after installation which seemed to imply that there should be.

Thanks for your work on this. I'm using 2.14.

Béèm

#7 Post by Béèm »

Up to now my experience is:
winecfg, to configure the wine environmet
winefile: like windows explorer. You can explore the simulated windows disk like c: as well as the linix fs. You can point to an exe and have it executed. you can execute a setup-xxxxx.exe to install program xxxxx
In fact just as you do in Windows.
But there are restrictions and every program doesn't work as it works in Windows.

You have to try those you are interested in.

Like in Windows the default path for an installation is c:\program files\.....

Have fun.

eponyn

#8 Post by eponyn »

I just switched to puppy 2.15CE a couple of days ago and was trying to install your wine .pet without success. I installed glibc with no problem but at the time of installing wine I get this error:
The wine-0.9.35.pet package has been downloaded to /root/.packages,
however there is not enough room to uncompress and install it.
The free space is 221731 blocks but it is estimated you will
need 280120 blocks temporarily for the expansion and install.

Note: If you are using a pup_save.3fs personal storage file,
it can be made bigger -- see Utilities menu.

This script will now delete the package and exit...

my pup_save.2fs file is fairly empty with 866MB still free.
Any suggestions on how to make it work? I have several programs that I used to run in Wine on my older puppy, but 2.15 is not recognizing my wine sfs file...
Thanks in advance

Béèm

#9 Post by Béèm »

For the sfs to be loaded at boot, it should have as name: wine-0.9.35_215.sfs.
Is yours like that?
The sfs file should be in the directory where your pup_save file is.
That's the way I did it and thus I didn't have the need to download the pet package to have wine oprational.

Now to reply to your case,
The install clearly indicates there is no room enough.
Take into account, that there is extra working space needed, be it temporarely, to unpack and install.
So if want want to follow that route, increase your personal space.
(P.S. I had to do this increase of personal space in earlier releases for OpenOffice)

eponyn

#10 Post by eponyn »

Thanks for the help.
I renames my wine file to wine-0.9.22_215.sfs (used to be wine-0.9.22_214.sfs) and it is in the same /home directory as my page_215.sfs and web_215.sfs and those two work just fine. I did a search in the forum and could not find the wine-0.9.35 on an sfs file, did you downloaded somewhere else?

Béèm

#11 Post by Béèm »

@eponyn
Look at the first post of this thread.
You have all the info there. :wink:

Ardee

#12 Post by Ardee »

I'm still not clear as to where some files should go. The files which were reported as missing during installation are in usr/local/lib along with symbolic links to libwine.so.1 - which is in the folder with them. Where does wine expect to find these links and files?

Gekko

#13 Post by Gekko »

Once installed there shouldnt be a problem, please try to reinstall ardee.

Ardee

#14 Post by Ardee »

Gekko wrote:Once installed there shouldnt be a problem, please try to reinstall ardee.
I tried again with the same result. The dependency check comes up with a list of dll.so files which are missing the dependency libwine.so.1. This file is in usr/local/lib alongside symbolic links to it. Should the symbolic links be in the same folder as the file they are linking to, or is that the problem?

edit: There are no new menu entries, but neither the package manager or pet-be-gone will work since the attempted wine install.

Béèm

#15 Post by Béèm »

Ardee wrote:
Gekko wrote:Once installed there shouldnt be a problem, please try to reinstall ardee.
I tried again with the same result. The dependency check comes up with a list of dll.so files which are missing the dependency libwine.so.1. This file is in usr/local/lib alongside symbolic links to it. Should the symbolic links be in the same folder as the file they are linking to, or is that the problem?

edit: There are no new menu entries, but neither the package manager or pet-be-gone will work since the attempted wine install.
This is what I had to apply.
libwine.so.1.0
libwine.so.1 (the one Linux can't find)

To make them correspond, navigate to the appropriate directories and do as follows:

(1) verify that libwine.so.1.0 is not a linked file by running this command:

# ls -l libwine.so.1.0

(2) if it is not a link, make one as follows:

# ln -s libwine.so.1.0 libwine.so.1

(where # represents the prompt and not something you type in)

Gekko

#16 Post by Gekko »

Thanks Beem.

Ardee

#17 Post by Ardee »

Béèm,

Thanks, but what are "the appropriate directories"? Should the link be in the same directory as the dll.so files?

Sorry to be slow, but I'm still having trouble understanding the Linux directory structure.

Béèm

#18 Post by Béèm »

Ardee,

Just a piece of general advice when you look for a file:
go to menu - filesystem and select one of the find file programs.
Give the file name and let the program look where the file is.

In my case the winelib.so.x.x files are in /usr/local/lib

Ardee

#19 Post by Ardee »

I've already established that the winelib.so.x.x files are in /usr/local/lib, and this is confirmed by the ls -1 libwine.so.1.0 command.

What can I try next?

MU

#20 Post by MU »

Puppy does not search in /usr/local/lib , only in /usr/lib.
You could create symlinks.
Or add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf, then reboot.

Mark