Request: Opera 10 beta .pet for 4.1.2

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Artie

Request: Opera 10 beta .pet for 4.1.2

#1 Post by Artie »

http://www.opera.com/browser/next/
I would really appreciate a .pet for this one that will work in 4.1.2. For some reason I haven't been able to get the update function to work.

Artie

synth

#2 Post by synth »

Qt 4.5.1 shared build coming up :)

glassparrot

Here you go

#3 Post by glassparrot »

Here's one which I just tossed together. This installs opera in /opt/opera10beta - and all of its files are kept in that folder, instead of being strewn all through /usr and /etc (this is called a "static" version of the software).

Be very careful to back up all your personal data before uninstalling this beta version with the petget package manager... because when you do that, the /opt/opera10beta folder will be deleted, along with everything in it.

Download the Opera 10 beta pet here.

If anyone is not using joe's window manager, you may discover that you will need to manually create a menu link (and perhaps a desktop sticker). For this project, you will need the following information:
  • The executable you need to run is /opt/opera10beta/opera.sh
  • The Opera brand icons you will need are in /opt/opera10beta/usr/share/icons/hicolor

glassparrot

Wow!

#4 Post by glassparrot »

Wow... I am REALLY impressed with this version of the Opera software. It's the first time I've ever felt I've had a web browser on linux which was as responsive as browsers which I use under microsoft windows. This may make me want to use Puppy Linux a lot more, because I spend a lot of time on the internet.

I still wish it would adopt my XFCE theme for the menus, however. Synth, do you think that the "shared" version will give me proper menu theming?

MU

#5 Post by MU »

glassparrot,

Opera is based on Qt, while Xfce is based on Gtk.
So a completely different widgetset, and so the Xfce style cannot be used in Opera.
Your pet works fine in Newyearspup, thanks.
Even the menu looks ok.
In the static version, the menu is not antialiased, but has good font properties, this was different in the 9.x versions, where the fonts looked crippled.

Here is a screenshot showing the new visual tabs:
http://www.pro-linux.de/NB2/images/indi ... ground.png

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

synth

#6 Post by synth »

Here's a screenshot of a Puppyfied version of the Qt 4.5.1 shared build:

glassparrot

#7 Post by glassparrot »

Thanks very much, as always, MU.

Artie

#8 Post by Artie »

I'm very confused. Static or shared, qt 4.5.1 or gtk doesn't help me at all. I am using Puppy 4.1.2 please give me a link to the version that looks prettiest, has the prettiest (antialiased) fonts in menus and everywhere and will work best. Thanks.

Artie

glassparrot

#9 Post by glassparrot »

Artie, it's right there in my post above. Download the pet, and you're good to go. It works fine under Puppy 4.12. I've tested it.

I apologise for talking shop. The point I was making in that post, was that this pet that I created is designed so it won't disturb your previous installation of opera.

Artie

#10 Post by Artie »

Thank you very much! :) I have downloaded it and it seems to work fine so far. Nothing serious, just a question: The menus are gray and seem to be of a different style than the rest of Opera and choices like Select All don't seem to react to the mouse going over them like tabs do? Nothing important just wondered. Thanks.

Artie

MU

#11 Post by MU »

Menu
you can set a different theme in "tools - appearance", this also affects the menu color.

In addition I did this:
Tools - preferences - advanced - shortcuts
Keyboard setup - Opera standard - edit
Application - F5

Here I replaced "Reload" with : "Enable menu bar | Disable menu bar"

Now I can hide/show the menu bar by pressing F5.

The default "Alt F11" did not work for me.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

glassparrot

#12 Post by glassparrot »

Artie... I was also concerned about the menus; in fact, that's just how they are. You'll see that they highlight when your mouse button is down, but not while it is up.

Mark says that you can change the menu colors with the "Appearances..." panel. Actually with a standard Puppy Linux build, that's not the case. Those will stay gray and awkward. I think that if you change over to the KDE window manager (there are instructions and SFS files for that purpose in various places on this bulletin board), you will see opera menus which look prettier.

MU

#13 Post by MU »

I attach an example.
Not every theme looks nice in the new opera, especially the visual tabs.
I just tested it in newyearspup, but the result should be the same in others, as Qt is statically compiled into opera.

wait... you're right, if I open a menu, it always has the same light-grey color, just the menubar itself is themed.

Mark
Attachments
opera.jpg
(65.61 KiB) Downloaded 2368 times

`f00

#14 Post by `f00 »

Haven't tried this new beta yet, but ...

Building an opera skin (more info here) isn't quite trivial, but offers some benefits .. Pesala's pages are (that one in particular is good for drag'n'drop buttons) a good source for tips in the Opera community. Generally I simply take a compact skin and a few buttons to get the desired ui .. there was a link to a Polymer theme pet for modifying the 'subskin' or visual style that dropmenus and such displayed in, but the dl never completed for me so I can't verify it.

Definitely I never did like the overly large tab-buttons nor the monochromatic icon scheme since 9.5, it was nice to revisit and do a fresh profile on a 9.25 pet in P216 :)

__note - some buttons may or may not work 'as expected' in the beta, one can always try opera's own forum for more details ;)

DaveS

#15 Post by DaveS »

This Opera is one I like very much. It even renders the webcam at Courchevel correctly, the first Linux Opera to do so. Thanks for the .pet. I like the simple install too, making it easy to move out of the _save file and symlink back. It is very fast and I am even getting to like the inbuilt mail. BUT BUT BUT, how can I change the top menu and drop down menu font please? They display really poorly on my laptop screen. I have ploughed through all the style sheets and config files I can find, but still cant find what I need to edit
Help Please?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

`f00

#16 Post by `f00 »

.. it helps to have a decent set of fonts well-set (see threads by SHS) even before any Opera install. Then if needful (and if this new beta conforms to how done previously) Operamenu->Tools->Preferences, Advancedtab, section on fonts .. select and then hit the Choose button ..

__after review.. (only Browser menus and toolbars.. top level)
hmm, as noted below by DaveS this may not work in the beta (even with dropmenu fonts in other opera versions) - possibly in opera:config (the full preference editor) or somewhere else :oops:
Last edited by `f00 on Fri 05 Jun 2009, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#17 Post by DaveS »

`f00 wrote:.. it helps to have a decent set of fonts well-set (see threads by SHS) even before any Opera install. Then if needful (and if this new beta conforms to how done previously) Operamenu->Tools->Preferences, Advancedtab, section on fonts .. select and then hit the Choose button ..
Thanks for the answer 'f00, but there does not seem to be an option there that affects the menu fonts.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#18 Post by DaveS »

Even more impressed after using this .pet from Glassparrot (thanks a million). It even works well with BBC iPlayer, which Seamonkey cant do. Its really fast and so far has been totally stable. I think I will have to open up the cache from my usual setting of 5 meg as the speed of this build encourages more browsing.
I wish I could solve this little problem though.............
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43251
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

synth

#19 Post by synth »

For fancy menus, good looking fonts and automatic mouse actions you need my [customized] Qt 4.5.1 shared build :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41335

Opera 10 TURBO

DaveS

#20 Post by DaveS »

synth wrote:For fancy menus, good looking fonts and automatic mouse actions you need my [customized] Qt 4.5.1 shared build :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41335

Opera 10 TURBO
I spent some time with this build today. Very very impressive thanks Synth, especially for a beta. Very fast and stable. Few minor display issues, especially with the mail section, but hey, its beta, and nothing I would consider a deal breaker. Coming from Seamonkey mail takes some adjusting.
I dropped a copy of startopera into my-applications/bin/, which makes it available from anywhere without long pathing, and dropped a copy of the icon into /usr/share/midi-icons for consistency, and edited the .desktop file accordingly, symlinked /opera10beta/ to outside of the _save file. Cool.
Know what I would like to see on the tab? A control that reloads speed-dials......................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!