ShepherdPup - Evangelizing Christ via Linux

News, happenings
1pritts2u

#1 Post by 1pritts2u »

ShepherdPup is a compact freely distributable tool for Christian evangelism. Focusing on bible study and personal evangelism, it can be easily remastered by individual evangelists or groups to suit the needs of community outreach.

The center piece, "pBible", is much like a dashboard connecting the user to several key integrated on line and offline study aids, resource links, news and radio sites. The initial package (92 megs) contains the King James, King James with Strong's, Spanish Reina Valera, Naves Topical, and several miniature topical aids. The self booting CD (128 megs) also contains 24 other installable public domain bibles and commentaries found in the /extras/ folder including various English, French, German, Dutch, and more ; plus Latin Vulgate, and Greek Septuagint translations (more are on their way).

To be used for personal study, for church kiosks/class labs/coffee shops/wifi centers, home bible study groups/conferences etc.. and more importantly for copying and distributing to family/friends/community.

ShepherdPup is a Puppy Linux derivitive built from Puppy Barebones 4.1.2 for reliability/compatability and contains:

* The Opera (Web/Email/Chat/RSS Browser) - Chosen for its "OperaShow" presentation component and open standards compliance.
* Flashplayer - (Used by Opera for GodTube etc...)
* MPlayer - For Multimedia
* Didwiki - For additional note taking and study collaboration
* pBible-0.1.5 - Bible Study Aid/Dashboard
* pBless-0.1.5 - Parallel text widget with plugins for OperaShow/HTML/PDF generation.
* iconv - For UTF-8 conversion
* (see barebones 4.1.2 for other standard apps like psip voip)
* (A wide variety of apps can be installed by the user - Abiword/OpenOffice etc...)

Offline Public Domain Bibles: ASV, BBE, DBY, DRB, ESC, KJV, SEPT, VAL, VUL, WBS, WEB, YLT, ALB, BAHASA, BARU, CEB, DAN, DUTCH, FIN, FRE, GAE, GRKM, LAMA, LUT

Offline Public Domain Commentary/Reference: NAVES, MHCC, RWP, Strongs Greek, Strongs Hebrew

Integrated Online Bible Resources (via biblos.com): AKJ, ASV,BBE, DBY, DRB, ERV, GWT, HEB, KJV, LBLA, NASB, PNT, TNT, VUL, WBS, WEB, WEY, YLT, GSB, JFB, KJT, MHC, MHCW, SCO, TSK, WES

pBible and pBless are bash and GTKDialog scripted, easily modified, reliant on common GNU text utilities and wget/curl. Offline bibles are gzip'd flat text files and installed/removed via petget.

Homepage: http://shepherdpuplinux.us
Last edited by 1pritts2u on Wed 15 Jul 2009, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

1pritts2u

#2 Post by 1pritts2u »

As soon as I can I will post the pBible and pBless components as seperate packages for your present pups. I am also going to release tgz and deb packages for the other Linux distributions. Stay tuned.

There are plenty of good open source bible study programs out there mostly built around the Sword Project. This one is completely seperate. My intention from the start was to minimize the heavy wine/KDE/Java dependencies, get back down to flat gzip'd text files, and leave the gui scripted for easy user modification. This thriftiness should be much to Puppy Linux's liking.

While minimal in its requirement, it is not minimal in it's functionality however. pBible is very useful on it's own and strives to be very well integrated into the surrounding OS, acting somewhat as a dashboard.

The most important aspect I feel is that unlike the MS and larger Linux programs, ShepherdPup is made to be given, made to be shared with others. I envision individuals and church groups being able to spread God's Word one duplicated CD at a time. Door to door, street fest to street fest, alter call to alter call, co-worker to co-worker; you get the idea. This, thanks in great part, to the wonderful agility of Puppy Linux.

I would respect your input then as how to better integrate pBible into the other OS components and how it might be best shared.

ndujoe1

Religious Pup

#3 Post by ndujoe1 »

Good luck with your concept. Keep us posted on your progress.

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

1pritts2u

Oops
www.sheperdpuplinux.us could not be found. Please check the name and try again.
Good Luck

Aitch :)

Stoil89

#5 Post by Stoil89 »

A h is missed in the address, so the real URL is
http://shepherdpuplinux.us
Tested both of the links and the second one is valid :)

1pritts2u

#6 Post by 1pritts2u »

http://shepherdpuplinux.us is corrected now. Thanks!

CiaW

#7 Post by CiaW »

I'll look forward to trying out the pet files once they're available. I'm dual-booting Fedora 7 and Slax-pup; I've got gnome sword and bible time installed for F7; and though they're not the latest versions -- they don't do what eSword does, but they'll be workable. I don't want to install wine just to use eSword.

I'm not expecting your pet files to be esword-like either, I was just venting a bit. :roll:

Thanks for your efforts, and I bookmarked the site in delicious!

1pritts2u

pBible .pet packages

#8 Post by 1pritts2u »

The pBible component of ShepherdPup is now available on my home page as a pet. Also available are the many Bible and Commentary pets that were included in Sheps /extra folder.

See also my pBible post in the software forum.

Homepage=http://shepherdpuplinux.us

KF6SNJ

#9 Post by KF6SNJ »

Looks interesting. I may give it a spin to see what I see.
The only windows I have are those on my home.

Dromeno

Evolutionpup?

#10 Post by Dromeno »

One interesting question might be if this puplet can evolve by means of natural selection without loss of its quality to promote christian evangelism?

klhrevolutionist

#11 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I can't say that I've noticed you on the forum but congrats on creating the software as well as the distro variant along with the domain, etc.. !!!

Hopefully others give it a spin and check it out even though it is oriented towards evangelism. Good choice with the opera web browser for sure :)

1pritts2u

#12 Post by 1pritts2u »

Bug Fix: Current ISO has a misspelling of "Ephesians" in the Mini-Topic resources file that is fixed here at http://shepherdpuplinux.us/Downloads/pB ... pic.txt.gz

Download it in to your /usr/local/pbible/resources/tools directory.

valhalla.as

?

#13 Post by valhalla.as »

Sorry, mate!
I'm from one of the most secularised corners of the world and on top of that I'm a natural scientist :P . But, I do like one of the books in your BOOK, I think you call it the ecclestiastes in english. Can you get me that in swedish-1917 and swedish-1989? translation? Went to your homepage, and it offered only swedish-1917 (in an extremely hard to read little window, with picture links):(. There was a new translation in around 1989-1990 for the older part of your book.

rgds. valhalla.as :)

1pritts2u

#14 Post by 1pritts2u »

Ecclesiastes is a powerful book, I treasure it as well. It is a challenging read no matter ones belief.

To tell you the truth, I have spent little time verifying my foreign translation conversions. Not only do I not read most of these languages, the scripts that I've developed for verification are only counting verse chapter and book totals against my original KJV conversion. I can only read English/Spanish/some Latin. For now I have held off releasing my Asian and Russian texts for this very reason.

I would appreciate any assistance any foreign reader could offer in verification.

I would appreciate any leads towards public domain foreign equivalents to topical aids such as Nave's.

Most of these current offline foreign resources were gathered from HTML collections found at http://www.johnhurt.com. You might try the online resources at http://www.biblos.com as well.

Sorry that I can't be more help finding it for you. Good luck on your search?

1pritts2u

#15 Post by 1pritts2u »

BugFix_07-30-08: Recent history function not working on calls to xbible_offline.sh. Gunzip this:
http://shepherdpuplinux.us/Downloads/pB ... tory.sh.gz

to your /usr/local/pbible directory.

1pritts2u

#16 Post by 1pritts2u »

Due to a naming conflict the "pBible" study aid component has been renamed "pBiblx". As such even the bible resources have been revamped and are no longer compatable with the former. I apologize for any inconvenience this may present.

Therefore ShepherdPup has been remastered and the previous bug fixes implemented.

Please upgrade! http://shepherdpuplinux.us/

PS - I will be posting this at the pBible thread as well.

1pritts2u

#17 Post by 1pritts2u »

ShepherdPup Kiosk Edition

ShepherdPup is now available in a kiosk version for safe public access. Perfect for distribution as either a kiosk or given as a gift for street evangelism.

This version runs entirely from CD without accessing the host computers drives. It limits the user to the basic study and media and browsing needs. It removes editing and file management and disk partitioning facilities. X11 Control-Alt-Funct[x] capability has been removed. It shuts down without saving and reboots pristine in ram.

Best of all, ShepherdPup Kiosk Edition comes with several language bibles installed making it suitable for missions work. It weighs in at 100megs!

http://shepherdpuplinux.us/Downloads/Cu ... -08-09.iso

klhrevolutionist

#18 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Was logged on figured I'd ask how this project is coming along ?

1pritts2u

#19 Post by 1pritts2u »

Thank you for your interest!

I am nearing the completion of its next release. New features are being added and tested including a new W3C Slidy presentation plug-in to work with more browsers, a DidiWiki notes plug-in and theme, new pBless search capabilities such as list-item searches/entire-list searches/searches of searches, and additional topical aids and stock personal files.

I am also nearing completion of a SlidyShow for mass email distribution and a youtube video presentation highlighting its best features.

After this next release, I will be taking 'Shep' back out with me on to the streets, getting back to my true intent - evangelism (God willing come back to it later with more street savvy). I hope to have it all ready to release by October.

I am truly amazed at the number of downloads, having originally considered this to be more of a one on one personal "appleseed" type of project. I am encouraged to see by some of the emails that people are beginning to figure out what this puppy is all about! Hopefully soon they will confidently share it with others.

Have you tried it yourself?

I encourage anyone with reviews, suggestions, improvements, scripts, plug-ins, or study content to participate.

It's all in God's hands....God be praised!

1pritts2u

#20 Post by 1pritts2u »

This is a slide show using W3C Slidy so it should work in most any js browser.

http://shepherdpuplinux.us/Demo1/pbiblx ... EMO1c.html

0.1.7 features to follow soon!