Quirky 008 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

#76 Post by BarryK »

Oh, I forgot. Quirky 008 (and 009) is missing ndiswrapper.ko. Gunzip it somewhere, like /lib/modules/2.6.33-git7/misc, then run 'depmod', then run 'sns'.
Attachments
ndiswrapper.ko.gz
Ndiswrapper driver for 2.6.33-git7 in Quirky 008
(77.27 KiB) Downloaded 870 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#77 Post by 01micko »

Hi Barry

Doing what I can here...

SNS-2 goes through the motions fine with ndiswrapper for me. However it trips at the last hurdle. It just wont connect. After I hit 'connect' nothing (apart from xmessage) happens for about 30 seconds and then I get the fail screen, rebooted 3 or 4 times. Should I expect to see blinky while trying to find an IP? The log looks fine, as do the other files in /tmp

Network wizard was the same. Scans, finds, can save, tests ok, but just won't connect..

Leaving pwireless2... connected! But, if I start with Pwireless2 I get nowhere.

Ah well, at least I can get online ok. Not bad for an old p3 600, and the connection seems stable too, I am at least 18metres from the router and it is going through a few fibro walls as well.

Cheers.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#78 Post by BarryK »

I'm having more problems with SNS v2 than had with v1. I've done something wrong somewhere. Will make a fresh start in the morning, see if I can track down the problem.

So, there will be another version out soon...

capoverde

SD flash card install.

#79 Post by capoverde »

Installed Quirky on a (Mini)Sd flash card with a USB-HD setting (BootFlash USB installer); now, this PC (Biostar M7VIW, Athlon XP 1800) won't boot from it if the BIOS's first boot device is set to a USB-HD, but boots fine setting it to a USB-ZIP drive (!?). Same problem with the keyboard layout as described in my previous post, page 3.

Hadn't immediately realized that the purple message at startup, announcing the machine's IP, means that the connection is automatically configured and ready - should read the docs sometime... 8) Cool, Quirky is on a par with other tiny distros featuring this (but generally not much more); a nice gift Barry!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#80 Post by BarryK »

I am now releasing Simple Network Setup version 2.1.

This fixes a couple of killer bugs.

One of them was that I could not get WPA working with ndiswrapper, for my Netgear wg311 card. Then I read something weird posted by an Arch developer (see at bottom of page);

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant

01micko has been very helpful (and very patient), testing my releases of SNS. He has sent me pms, and he mentioned doing something somewhat like the Arch guy did.

So, I tried something like that too, and amazing, ndiswrapper worked. It also worked at bootup, however there is something strange about that, and I will need feedback from other that their ndiswrapper works with WPA both when SNS is run and at a reboot.

There were a couple of other issues that I fixed.

I need to warn again about this package. It has /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and rc.shutdown, which might break an older Puppy. Any recent Woof-build will be ok.

Note also, I posted ndiswrapper.ko to this thread, as Quirky 008 (and 009) does not have it.

I did a quick little sanity test. Built a Quirky with Woof, placed it on a USB stick, booted up my Acer Aspire One netbook, ran Simple Network Setup, was online, so easy. Rebooted, and of course created a pupsave, up she came, online. Oh joy!
Attachments
sns-2.1.pet
Simple Network Setup version 2.1
(34.97 KiB) Downloaded 1233 times

01micko

#81 Post by 01micko »

Ever so close to working in the tpup I built today... I hacked it to include ndiswrapper in the build and sns-2.. that didn't work so rebooted pfix=ram and tried sns-2.1.. so close! Network wizard (dougal's) connected.

Hold the phone, will be back with Quirky-008 results in a moment (or a few). BTW, I built this tpup without Pwireless2.

Cheers

EDIT: Ok, so less than 10 minutes later I'm online with Q-008 (pfix=ram).. but.. I had exactly the same issue with sns-2.1 as in tpup, falls over at last jump..for some reason dhcpcd is just not working for me in sns. The log is correct, as in correct essid, key, channel etc. I had to resort to the network wizard, but the ndiswrapper driver was correctly loaded with sns and saved.

I'll test sns-2.1 with my save file on this old machine.

01micko

#82 Post by 01micko »

Barry

I was just experimenting on the commandline ..um .. because sns-2.1 failed on my Q-008 save file too... but I might have a break through, at least for WEP encryption anyways.

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXXXXXXX
the key (pardon pun) word being "open".. it's in tempestuous' "HOWTO"

Ran dhcpcd and straight online.

Cheers

############################

Here's the bugfix for WEP ONLY in sns-2.1

at line 383 in /usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns

case $BUTSEC in
       WEP)
        echo "STEP5: iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY" >> /tmp/sns_wireless_log
        iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY
       ;;
the word "open" (in lines 385 and 386) is not there.. add it and it should be all good for WEP with (and probably without) ndiswrapper.

Connected on first attempt in a matter of seconds with sns.

Cheers :D

yarddog

Gnumeric Missing Libraries

#83 Post by yarddog »

Minor problem in Gnumeric. When attempt to format cells, program closes.
When run from command line receive following errors::
gnumeric

(gnumeric:11291): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(gnumeric:11291): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file '/usr/share/goffice/0.6.6/glade/go-rotation-sel.glade'

(gnumeric:11291): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file '/usr/share/goffice/0.6.6/glade/go-format-sel.glade'

** (gnumeric:11291): CRITICAL **: go_combo_text_set_text: assertion `IS_GO_COMBO_TEXT (ct)' failed

(gnumeric:11291): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(gnumeric:11291): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_selection_select_path: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_SELECTION (selection)' failed

(gnumeric:11291): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2310: instance `(nil)' has no handler with id `0'

(gnumeric:11291): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)' failed

(gnumeric:11291): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:2352: instance `(nil)' has no handler with id `0'
Segmentation fault
information only for future release
[/quote]

Leon

#84 Post by Leon »

BarryK wrote:I am now releasing Simple Network Setup version 2.1.
I tested Simple Network Setup version 2.1 on Sony Vaio VGN-CS215J laptop with Quirky 008 manual frugal installed and booted with pfix=ram.

Simple Network Setup version 2.1
At first I tried to setup my wireless connection by using Simple Network Setup version 2.1.
All attempts to setup my wireless connection failed.
See the attached log file.

Puppy Network Wizard
After that, I managed to successfully setup my wireless connection by using Puppy Network Wizard without any problem, the same as in previous Quirky versions.
See the attached profile picture.
Attachments
PuppyNetworkWizard.profile-Quirky-008-Vaio.png
(37.9 KiB) Downloaded 2181 times
sns-2.1.log-Quirky-008-Vaio.tar.gz
(473 Bytes) Downloaded 788 times
Last edited by Leon on Mon 15 Mar 2010, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

mmmrr

simple network setup seems foiled by hidden ssid

#85 Post by mmmrr »

simple network setup seems foiled by hidden ssid

otherwise, smooth progress on elderly p-2 laptop,

which runs wireless with 412, 214X,,cheers, mm

BarryK
Puppy Master

#86 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Barry

I was just experimenting on the commandline ..um .. because sns-2.1 failed on my Q-008 save file too... but I might have a break through, at least for WEP encryption anyways.

iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXXXXXXX
the key (pardon pun) word being "open".. it's in tempestuous' "HOWTO"

Ran dhcpcd and straight online.

Cheers

############################

Here's the bugfix for WEP ONLY in sns-2.1

at line 383 in /usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns

case $BUTSEC in
       WEP)
        iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY
       ;;
the word "open" (in lines 385 and 386) is not there.. add it and it should be all good for WEP with (and probably without) ndiswrapper.

Connected on first attempt in a matter of seconds with sns.

Cheers :D
01micko,
Would you mind testing this:

case $BUTSEC in
       WEP)
        iwconfig $INTERFACE key open
        iwconfig $INTERFACE key $SEC_KEY
       ;;
I'm trying to understand just what that "key open" does. The docs sure are muddy.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#87 Post by BarryK »

01micko,
I've been reading. It seems that that "key open", although it works for you, might not for others. So, I might do this in the script:

iwconfig wlan0 key <key>
then run just 'iwconfig' and see if there is a valid entry for "Access point:"
If not, then run this:
iwconfig wlan0 key open <key>

Um, let's see, to put this into the script, temporary technique just for testing:

sleep 10
[ "`iwconfig $INTERFACE | grep 'Not-Associated'`" != "" ] && iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY
...I presume that you would get "Not-Associated", but you could check, just stick another 'iwconfig $INTERFACE' and see output in terminal:

sleep 10
iwconfig $INTERFACE
[ "`iwconfig $INTERFACE | grep 'Not-Associated'`" != "" ] && iwconfig $INTERFACE key open $SEC_KEY

BarryK
Puppy Master

#88 Post by BarryK »

Another thing to be aware of with WEP. I have only been working with hexadecimal WEP keys. They can be entered in ascii, but that requires a "s:" prefix, for example "s:abcdefghijklm" -- if I recall rightly, 13 characters required for a 128bit WEP key.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#89 Post by Béèm »

BarryK wrote:Another thing to be aware of with WEP. I have only been working with hexadecimal WEP keys. They can be entered in ascii, but that requires a "s:" prefix, for example "s:abcdefghijklm" -- if I recall rightly, 13 characters required for a 128bit WEP key.
For the moment I am in a holiday resort and got a 5 letter ascii key for WEP.
I give s:abcde and it works.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#90 Post by 01micko »

Hi Barry

I did try the new adjustment to sns, but it did not work, However I was not running pfix=ram. Will try that this afternoon.

Cheers

tom4jean

SMS works after reboot, no sound

#91 Post by tom4jean »

Running Quirky 008 frugal install with the new SMS 2.1 on;
Compaq cq10 netbook.
Atom n270 processor.
1gb ram

When I first ran SMS it saw my network but using WAP I got the error that it could not connect saying something about my wireless adapter not supporting WAP2. (I know my adapter does support WAP2)
HOWEVER: :lol:
After creating pupsave and rebooting it worked and it connected with WAP2 when I ran the sms wizard again.
I don't know why I didn't do anything different, except of course to reboot and create a pupsave.

The regular Dougal Puppy network wizard tool worked the first time with WAP2 prior to making the pupsave and rebooting.

Separate issue;
Sound does not work at all.
No woof-woof on initial boot, turned up volume in tray to max.
No sound in any applications.
Ran Alsa sound wizard; no sound, and after I ran the wizard the volume control in the tray disappeared? strange.
Per the "hardware information" under system tools I have an "HDA intel" audio adapter. (high definition audio intel, per the alsa wizard.)
Edit;
Ubuntu has this info about the sound card, and incidentally I do have sound on Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7;
Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller.

black

feedback

#92 Post by black »

Hey B.K.,

-Here's a show-stopper! Booted up "Quirky-008" from HDD, very "dark" screen when got to desktop. Everything is visible on-screen except for brightness being so dim that everything's washed out. Can't see well enough to attempt a remedy (old eyes), tho, if I crank up the monitor backlite, its a bit better, but not much. Able to access drives/apps from the desktop icons but further investigation is prohibitive due to bad display visibility.

Hardware: ATI X800XT gpu, Sony KLV-S32A10 (tv as monitor via VGA), 1360x768 native res.

The very same "darkness" issue noted with "tpup", which uses the very same (I think) base. Since both tpup and quirky have different kernels, I would guess that "xorg-7.5" or "T2" is problematic. Left word with "ttuuxxx" on this same issue as "tpup" was installed to HDD (preferred SMP-kernel), to see if I could chase the problem...nada as yet!

black

tubby

#93 Post by tubby »

@tom4jean, did you click on the speaker icon, (i cannot remember if it was right click or left click) and set the volume and any other controls you need?.

tom4jean

#94 Post by tom4jean »

@tubby

Eureka!
I did not know about that sound control panel when you right click.
The check mark next to "speaker" volume control was not ticked and once I ticked it it works! I guess with this particular hardware the additional control for "speaker" needs to be unmuted. The master "volume" control was ticked by default but not "speaker" I would guess under other architecture such as a desktop the "speaker" control might be for the little pc speaker on the mother board but on my net book it controls the regular speakers.

@black
I had the same behavior with my screen being dark green and the mouse moving very slowly on the screen when I loaded the live cd of Quirky on my desktop to make a usb stick to install it to my netbook.
I guessed at the time it had to do with xorg too and the fact that I was running on a large desktop with a large wide flat screen display, but I did not report it because I have run other puppy versions on it without a problem and figured that it was just something about Quirky and that it is made for netbooks not a desktop machine.
But it made me nervous running it because I believe you can mess up your monitor with the wrong refresh rates and such set in xorg.
Mine suffered no ill effects and at least I was able to get the usb stick made.

I also wanted to report to Barry the SNS 2.1 is still working perfectly.
This was the second time I booted into Quirky again after making my pupsave and it immediately connected on its own to my wireless network.
I am really enjoying Quirky on the netbook,
Thanks again for an incredible "work of art" in the linux world.
AKA: tom4jesus; Running Quirky 1.0 on Compaq cq10 netbook
Search the Puppy Forums to find that elusive PET;
[url]http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxSearchEngine[/url]

black

feeback

#95 Post by black »

Hey B.K., all,

Resolved! Just needed to tweak "xorg.conf" for default-depth=24. For some reason, my hardware didn't appreciate standard-default-depth of 16, tho previous puppies never complained. Likewise, fixed the very same issue with "tpup".

This may be a stumble-block for noobies...

black