Legacy OS what it is and what it's not.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

Legacy OS what it is and what it's not.

#1 Post by john biles »

I've read all the replies to my other postings I've posted for "Legacy OS" and there seems to be some confusion to what Legacy OS is and its requirements.

First off I start with why it might be more sensitive booting up wise on some PC's over previous releases of TEENpup versions based on Puppy 2.14
One major change was to update glibc 2.3.5 to glibc 2.5 out of the 3 series of Puppy. Only with advice from ttuuxxx was this possible as he had done the same change with 2.14X
What ttuuxxx then went on to do was update a large number of system libraries around glibc which has made it more compatible with users hardware than Legacy OS. Basically I don't have the skills required like ttuuxxx to do the same with legacy OS.

Info: glibc for those who don't know what I'm talking about is a major system library that so many applications rely on and it can mean the difference between an app working or not.

Example: "Adobe Flashplayer 10.1" won't work with glibc 2.3.5 as its to old and no longer supported. The average user who cares little for how a PC works expects to be able to watch "Youtube", use "Facebook" etc. If Legacy OS couldn't provide these basic requirements, it would be useless in those users eyes.

HOW YOU SHOULD SEE LEGACY OS

Legacy OS has the most chance of working on a old PC / Laptop that came with a IDE Hard Drive, basic on board graphics and no to much else.
Expecting it to run on a modern duo core PC with the latest and greatest graphic's card, Wifi, Bluetooth and have them all work is asking to much.

My advice is to seek what you'd think is the best candidate for the nearest Landfill site and boot Legacy OS up on that.

The Bad News: If you successfully get it up and running, forget about using it wirelessly or connecting your bluetooth device to it. OH yea don't expect much luck with your webcam either. Legacy OS isn't sounding that great is it! maybe its not for you.

The Good News: Once you except the limitations of Legacy OS you will start to appreciate what Legacy OS had to offer. Start by connecting it by Ethernet (Wired) once you have that up and running, you now have the perfect tool to do a bit of Web surfing, receive emails, write a quick letter, listen to MP3's, watch a few AVI's, download stuff etc etc.

See Legacy OS as a second PC for the family you wouldn't have because the budget at the moment won't extend to buy a new $$$ one.

Legacy OS has so much to offer if a user only takes the time to look.

Here's a link to a quick guide to those interested. http://www.mediafire.com/?mmp2f452nfufpco

To help others please list your PC and Hardware that works with Legacy OS and your GOOD! experiences.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

James C

#2 Post by James C »

As posted in the other Legacy OS threads, I successfully booted the live cd in 4 out of 4 computers.All four machines had all ide drives and onboard graphics and were all more than several years old.Ended up doing a full install on one.

Computer #1........733MHz/256MB ram w/1GB swap.....live cd ,everything worked fine.

Computer #2.......1.4GHz/384MB ram w/1GB swap.....live cd was fine,did a full install and everything is great.Included applications can do whatever I need to do.

Computer #3.......2.0GHz/1Gb ram w/1Gb swap.......(old Compaq Presario)....live cd and worked fine.

Computer #4......2.6 GHz HT/2.5 GB ram w/no swap.....again, live cd and everything worked fine.

Haven't had any problems and I can do what I need to..........all I can ask for in a operating system.
Great job. :)

bremer

#3 Post by bremer »