So where is bluetooth support in Lucid?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Boneo

So where is bluetooth support in Lucid?

#1 Post by Boneo »

I've returned this week to look at Puppy because I want a Linux USB stick OS that I can use with my Acer AA0 XP netbook when I'm away from home. Unfortunately I still need XP on a PC because Tomtom Home doesn't run under Wine. I want to disturb as little as possible the XP install on my netbook. I'm so irritated if I have to use the Acer's trackpad instead of a mouse and earlier I was successful in getting my microsoft 5000 bluetooth mouse working with Puppy 4.2.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=45

However, I had to return to using XP because I couldn't get my 3G Huawei dongle to work under 4.2 Puppy when away from home. So far Ubuntu hasn't come up with quite as good a solution as Puppy with a bootable USB stick. Puppy's wifi has improved but where's bluetooth? I'm thinking that Puppy Lucid's Ubuntu package might deliver an Ubuntu solution but in package manager despite me ticking the Ubuntu package main box nothing appears in the package manager's GUI. I was hoping for an Ubuntu solution to bluetooth

Anyone out there using a bluetooth mouse with Lucid 5.1?
Last edited by Boneo on Sat 16 Oct 2010, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

You could try Fluppy instead. It has bluetooth out of the box and the applications and kernel are chosen with netbooks in mind. My bluetooth keyboard and mouse work great with it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56156

Boneo

Bluetooth

#3 Post by Boneo »

I'd prefer to stay with Lucid after having a play around with Fluppy last night. I got Fluppy's wifi working and it recognised that I had a microsoft bluetooth mouse but that's as far as I got. My patience runs out having to use the trackpad.

With Lucid, so far I've downloaded some bluetooth packages from the puppy/lucid and even got the bluetooth dongle blinking yet Menu>Network>Bluetooth reports that my computer has no Bluetooth adaptor connected. It's a pity bluetooth support hasn't been included from the start.

After I've have a long rest I may or may not return to use the Acer's highly irritating trackpad. If I do, what are the packages that are needed to get my bluetooth mouse working with Lucid and where might I find them?

Boneo

Bluetooth in Lucid

#4 Post by Boneo »

It's all rather frustrating this bluetooth mouse thing. Last week I eventually got the bluetooth applet running with Lucid and my mouse working for one session. I decided then on a fresh install to check things would work again. Further attempts to install the libxcb-1.0 pet all result in a locked console and package manager. If I reboot X is broken.

I downloaded and installed libxcb for Ubuntu Lucid, picking what I thought was the appropriate bit. The applet worked and found the mouse but I wasn't able to sort out the passkey.

Will someone confirm which part of Lucid libxcb package I should use.

Having just broken things again by installing libxcb-1.0-pet again, is there a way to remove it and rescue my system or will I need a fresh install?

Boneo

Blooth mouse working with Lucid Puppy 5.1.1

#5 Post by Boneo »

Thanks go to jemimah for most of the work here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52973

Here goes before I forget again.

1.Enable Lucid Puppy's access to Internet
2.In Puppy Package Manager configure for ubuntu-lucid-main. (For some reason I also got ubuntu-lucid-mainpre and ubuntu-lucid-multiverse without asking)
3.Find libxcb and press go
4.Select and install libxcb1_5-2 which should be top of the list
5.go to jemimah's posting, download and I installed in this order-

dbus-1.2.6
dbus-glib-0.82-i486
bluez-4.61-i486
bluez-gnome-1.8-i486
GConf-dbus-2.16.0-i486
libnotify-0.45-i486
libunique-1.0.8-i486

6.reboot and bluetooth icon should appear on bottom toolbar
7.click on icon to start bluetooth applet

I got my mouse working without needing a pin or other files. Hopefully that's all there is to it unless there's a configuration file with the mouse's passkey that's been left over from my earlier experiments.

fanfare

#6 Post by fanfare »

Hi Boneo,

Thank you for your explanation. I have Lucid 5.2 and a Belkin dongle.

I followed your explanation, but when I rebooted the bluetooth icon never appeared.

Bluetooth Sendto and Bluetooth Wizard items do appear on Network Menu, but Bluetooth Wizard does not work.

When I open up a console and type ''modprobe bluetooth'' I get the following:
''WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.''

This is what I was always getting before I followed your instructions.

Please advise.

Again, thank you Boneo.

~fanfare 100

fanfare

#7 Post by fanfare »

BTW, ultimately, I will want to dial out on my LG405 cellphone using my bluetooth connection to my AT&T provider.

I am able to do this under an older version of puppy, so I know that my dongle and phone and provider work properly.

Again, thank you so much! :-)