Can't get any internet in Puppy 5.2

camarokid201

Can't get any internet in Puppy 5.2

#1 Post by camarokid201 »

I have and love the puppy series and now run them full time on both my desktop and laptop, both of them run 4.3.1, and this version has always been the best and worked on every install I've ever done. However Lucid Puppy has always given me problems. 1. It won't even boot on my compaq presario 2100 and

2. I can't for the life of me get my wireless device to work on my freshly built desktop. 4.3.1 works flawlessly with every wifi device I throw at it.
Specs:
Intel Motherboard with 3.2GHZ Pentium D 2gb of ram, and integrated graphics.

I've tried these three usb devices. One that has the RTL8187L, one that has the rt73 driver, and the last has the RT2500.

Everytime I do this I connect to my WEP enabled Network and the test comes as a success just like auto DHCP and it says I have successfully connected. However whenever I click on firefox it says i'm not connected, and when I ping it shows I'm also not connected. I really like this idea of being able to use so many ubuntu programs but just can't get the internet to work. So it is basically useless. It also seems like it starts to work then stops quickly after.

If it helps I have the same problem with Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 as I do with Lucid Puppy, probably because they share some libraries I believe.

Suggestions or solutions?

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

both of them run 4.3.1, and this version has always been the best and worked on every install I've ever done.
So...why change?
If it helps I have the same problem with Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 as I do with Lucid Puppy, probably because they share some libraries I believe.

They share kernels, which might be the problem.
Some computers will not work correctly with certain kernels.

Anyway, you might want to look at this:
http://www.bkhome.org/wary/index.html
...and then, for more details and download link, this:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ry-500.htm
Like 4.3.1, Wary targets a wider variety of hardware.
Lucid Puppy focuses more on compatibility with Ubuntu.

camarokid201

#3 Post by camarokid201 »

Mainly because Puppy 5.2 offers more than the previous puppies and i've really been looking into getting a good video editor something like Final Cut but just not as sophisticated. I don't have any ability to write something like that. I'll look into your links and maybe I'll come across a fix somewhere.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

The Network Setup Wizard (not the simple one) is a bit unintuitive. You have to connect, and then request an IP address (with that Auto DHCP button). You need both, or it won't work.

Weird, I know, but I went through that dance with my own LAN...

camarokid201

#5 Post by camarokid201 »

starhawk wrote:The Network Setup Wizard (not the simple one) is a bit unintuitive. You have to connect, and then request an IP address (with that Auto DHCP button). You need both, or it won't work.

Weird, I know, but I went through that dance with my own LAN...
I did both connect and auto DHCP I understand you have to do that but it just fails to transfer any information, I think it may have something to do with having a WEP password so I'll try disabling it and see if I get a bite.