Slacko 5.7 final - 8 March 2014

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ally

#271 Post by ally »

@volhout

I wonder if is worth trying jemimah's fix from puppeee?
http://archive.org/download/PuppyLinuxP ... endfix.pet

:)

oldyeller

#272 Post by oldyeller »

OK, I am going to do deltas for the first time.

How do I do this?

Volhout

delta's

#273 Post by Volhout »

Hi Oldyeller,

Finally a question I can answer….

Make sure you run any recent puppy (i.e. Slacko 5.6)
Put the iso and the delta file in the same folder.
Make sure there is sufficient space in that folder.
Click on the delta file….confirm that you want to apply the delta to the iso…..wait…ready.

For the 5.6.5.2 you need to apply 2 delta's. So you temporary need space for 3 iso's: the org, the first update, the second update. After the process is done you can delete all except the final iso. Burn that to a USB or CD.

Good luck...

oldyeller

#274 Post by oldyeller »

thanks Volhout,

That worked my first delta is running great.

Hi mick, I am running slacko 5.6.5.2 and so far everything is working great will continue to test for the next couple of days. Where can I get the devs?

EDIT: I did apply the two deltas in order and now the ppm don't work/nothing downloads, maybe something went wrong when doing the deltas.

Cheers

Jades

#275 Post by Jades »

oldyeller wrote:I did apply the two deltas in order and now the ppm don't work/nothing downloads, maybe something went wrong when doing the deltas.
Try double-clicking the entries. It's a new 'feature'.

Frankly, I feel that change should be reverted on the grounds that it causes more confusion for little gain - and this is coming from someone who routinely turns off the single-click options in ROX.
Last edited by Jades on Fri 10 Jan 2014, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#276 Post by Jades »

SFR wrote:Anyway, I was a little worried about this change, but you just confirmed my assumption that if single-click doesn't work, instincts tell you to try double-click
TBH you should probably revert it to the single click behaviour. The only way I managed to figure out I needed to double-click was when my repeated "nothing is happening" clicking managed to coincide with the double-click delay by accident.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

01micko

#277 Post by 01micko »

Jades, I'm inclined to agree with you. I know some of the esteemed senior members of our community dislike double click for various reasons; a notable one is Jim1911 (sorry can't find the post, iirc it was about FatDog package manager) and I'm sure Sage would have something to say too.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#278 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:members of our community dislike double click for various reasons.
Beyond like-dislike is indeed a bit awkward everything to be single click and PPM double click. Double click in PPM has is advantages but may be better to follow a global setting, which would be a nice feature BTW :wink:
Alternatively, a user-configurable option (with a small explanation) on first launch could be set.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sage

#279 Post by Sage »

Sage would have something to say
Indeed! You have only to ask yourself, what moron introduced double clicking and why.
Let's make it rhetorical and give you some clues:
WG Greedy American Leverage

Say no more than delete it/him.

bigpup

#280 Post by bigpup »

PPM double click to download.

Found one thing it allows.
You can scroll down package list, with arrow keys on keyboard, and start download by pressing enter key.

For when your left mouse button finger gets overworked. :roll: :shock: 8)

Single click rules :!: :D
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

SFR

#281 Post by SFR »

RE: PPM double-click

Vox populi, vox Dei. 8)

Ok, I can revert the single click, but the only way (for now, maybe me or someone else will find a better way later) to do it is to disable column resizing (as Mick did in SFS/Update managers), however I just checked and thankfully at least sorting can be retained safely, without the threat of this bug.
Is it ok that way?

Also, made a quick test a most likely choosing via keyboard also could be preserved!

Anyway, thanks for opinions about it, appreciated. :)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

oldyeller

#282 Post by oldyeller »

I don't know if this would be a bug, But when playing gnome-player and hitting the tray button will hide the player and when hitting again it will not make it viewable at all. It starts to but closes right away so you can not view it.

Hope this makes since.

Cheers

SFR

#283 Post by SFR »

oldyeller wrote:I don't know if this would be a bug, But when playing gnome-player and hitting the tray button will hide the player and when hitting again it will not make it viewable at all. It starts to but closes right away so you can not view it.

Hope this makes since.

Cheers
Hi Oldyeller, the window closes or just minimizes?
In my case after pressing the tray icon, gnome-player's window returns (shows up on taskbar), but it's simply minimized.
It seems to be JWM related; under IceWM it behaves as expected...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

oldyeller

#284 Post by oldyeller »

@SFR,

I notice that it worked properly as well with fluxbox that I compiled. So it must be a jwm thing.

Cheers

Jades

#285 Post by Jades »

SFR wrote:RE: PPM double-click

Anyway, thanks for opinions about it, appreciated. :)
Not a problem, while I personally didn't like the feature I can now see what you were trying to do. You did the right thing giving it a shot this early in the testing while there was time for people to give feedback. Perhaps you could make turning it on optional, like double-clicking is in ROX? IIRC there is an options screen in PPM already.

Jades

#286 Post by Jades »

Latest stable Gparted is v0.17.0 - website is http://www.gparted.org

Used the version of Gparted in current testbuild of Slacko (0.16.0 IIRC) to repartition the new 1TB internal SATA HDD in the Pentium D. Main OS is Win 7 Pro 64-Bit, I've successfully resized the main Windows partition and created an 8GB Linux Swap partition, a 10GB ext4 for a main full install of Puppy, a 100GB ext4 for Linux data and a 12GB ext4 for test full installs.

Currently have a Full of 5655 (PAE version) under test. Seems to be working well at the moment. Wireless setup on that is via Frisbee, proper icon appears when connected. Clock was still truncated with 12hr am/pm setup.

Set up Grub4Dos via Grub4DosConfig and customised menu.1st (or menu.lst, can never remember). Win 7 Pro install, set as default, still working fine as does the XP install on another drive.

Are we sure this is an Alpha? ;-)

rodin.s

About double click

#287 Post by rodin.s »

Maybe there should be some additional button in PPM like "install" or "remove" to handle selected item in the list. Double click on the item or pressing the button should do the same thing. You don't like double click - press the button.

Jades

#288 Post by Jades »

My personal opinion is that there are already enough opportunities for you to change your mind in the currently established PPM workflow.

01micko

#289 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:The Update Manager is not keeping up with the latest releases.
bigpup, I do understand your concern, but ff-esr-17.0.11 is the latest with security fixes (it is LTS, aka ESR) and we will be following that line with official slacko.

@ reasons.
  • 1. bloat -- ff > 20 is several megabytes larger.
    2. speed -- my benchmark machine is an old IBM Thinkpad r51. ff > 20 runs like treacle on that thing so evidently they have increased the need for resources.
My other not so well publicised OS will be shipping with FF-esr-24.X when it's ready.. more soon on that (still slacko/puppy/woof based).
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

don570

#290 Post by don570 »

I posted my compile of cinelerra video editor 2.2.
It works well if you have a fast processor and lots of ram and hard
disk space.

Warning!! Don't install on a machine that will do compiling since
several libraries are changed with links.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91418