DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#1366 Post by saintless »

Fixes post information updated:
2. Jwm version has xdm login manager included but it doesn't work well in OpenBox. In OpenBox version you can install this slim package. You can stop/start it from System -> Start/Stop Slim display-manager. More information read here. Available also in debiandog-repository:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install slim

fredx181

#1367 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All,

Just for fun I made a chooser application for analog clock display on the desktop: Conky-Clock, see more here in the utility thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 840#872840

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 17 Nov 2015, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#1368 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Toni, All,

I posted already in the DD Jessie thread but it doesn't show for me, strange,BTW., so trying again here,

Just for fun I made a chooser application for analog clock display on the desktop: Conky-Clock, see more here in the utility thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 840#872840

Sorry if double posted, my post just didn't seem to show up (empty).

Fred
Hi Fred.

Remove the space at the end in url link (you have space after #872840).

Toni

fredx181

#1369 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks, Toni, it's fine now.

Fred

fredx181

#1370 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

See here for:
How to run latest flashplayer in Iceweasel/Firefox on DebianDog/MintPup
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 815#873815

Fred

fredx181

#1371 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

See here;
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 996#878996
for new 'sfsload' package also for DD Wheezy and more info.

Fred

saintless

#1372 Post by saintless »

Important changes to keep DebianDog-Wheezy up to date:
Fixes post.
8. New packages sfs-get-smokey-get and debdog-repo-updater uploaded.

We need to change some scripts and free some space by removing modules from kazzascorner.com.au and smokey01.com in order to make the maintaining easier. Sfs-get script will download the extra modules from github.com in the future for all DD versions and MintPup.

It is recommended to install both packages by running these commands to keep sfs-get and dd-repo up to date:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install debdog-repo-updater sfs-get-smokey-get
sudo apt-get update

zagreb999

xfce 4.12

#1373 Post by zagreb999 »

regards to all
--------------------
XFCE 4.12
---------------
laptop hp pavillion64 8gb ram

debiandog with xfce

wifi , remaster perfect

very good work
BUT,
VLC, CHROME, AUDIO, XFCE appearance DO NOT WORK

CAN YOU MAKE AN ISO WITH only XFCE 4.12 DESKTOP?
THANKS

nic007

#1374 Post by nic007 »

This doesn't copy to and boot from a FAT32 partition?

nic007

#1375 Post by nic007 »

What would be the selling point of running this distro instead of "normal" puppy linux apart from it using deb packages? Are the builtin applications basically the same as that of puppy linux? Are there any obvious advantages?

mcewanw

#1376 Post by mcewanw »

nic007 wrote:What would be the selling point of running this distro instead of "normal" puppy linux apart from it using deb packages? Are the builtin applications basically the same as that of puppy linux? Are there any obvious advantages?
To a large extent I believe that it is a matter of personal choice/preference. For me, I find that DebianDog has all the advantages of Puppy Linux (can run as root, from RAM, is a small iso download and install size, has frugal installation with save file or save directory so can be returned to pristine boot condition in seconds) but also with all the advantages of a full-blown Debian system (which is primarily a result of it having the same very sophisticated package management system as Debian/or Ubuntu/or Mint) - the advantages of full Debian package management capability should not be underestimated - it makes it easy to install any application (no matter how large or complex).

DebianDog also has some fantastic SFS (squashfile) creation tools (Apt2SFS, for example), so it is easy to keep the core size small as a Puppy whilst just using sfs files for large applications (which will be included automatically simply by storing the sfs in the live folder).

Finally, and of little or no importance to some (including myself most of the time), DebianDog is a full multiuser system. Actually, that can be important since there are quite a number of apps nowadays that refuse or are not designed to run as root, and Puppy's fido account has always been somewhat broken (I'm not sure about Puppy's spot account). Yes, sometimes such apps can be easily modified to run as root, but sometimes, and for most users, that is not such an easy modification to make.

The question for me is: can debiandog system be kept as small as a Puppy system over time when new apps are added. I think the answer is 'yes' - despite it using full Debian apps, DD does include facilities to strip down these apps somewhat (zeroing out unneeded docs, for example) as does Puppy itself. Also, for those who like tinkering (which is a hallmark of Puppy users, I'd say) there is nothing to prevent a DD user crafting there own version of any app and including it on their DD system (for example in /opt directory) in such a way that it doesn't mess with the superb Debian package management system.

But at the end of the day, if a person is used to and most comfortable with dotpet package management and is happy enough with Puppy Linux and the functionality it provides, then I feel they are best to just stick with that. On the other hand running DebianDog provides pretty much the same experience but with these added facilities I mention. In terms of bloat or speed I don't think there is any basic difference so it boils down to what you want to use.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

Re: xfce 4.12

#1377 Post by saintless »

zagreb999 wrote:CAN YOU MAKE AN ISO WITH only XFCE 4.12 DESKTOP?
THANKS
I can't, sorry.
BUT,
VLC, CHROME,...
Vlc and Chrome are designed to work only from user account. Exit X, type login and use username puppy with password puppy. It takes 10 seconds.
AUDIO,...
Post the output from this command:

lspci | grep audio
XFCE appearance DO NOT WORK
This is Wheezy (old stable) and it has XFCE 4.8 in its package repository. The stable Jessie has XFCE 4.10 in its package repository.
XFCE 4.12 is a package from Debian testing and unstable (Stretch and SID). I guess installing this package in Jessie will break something. But It will break much more in Wheezy.

Toni

saintless

#1378 Post by saintless »

nic007 wrote:This doesn't copy to and boot from a FAT32 partition?
It does both for me.
William already gave answer to your second question and I agree:
mcewanw wrote:But at the end of the day, if a person is used to and most comfortable with dotpet package management and is happy enough with Puppy Linux and the functionality it provides, then I feel they are best to just stick with that.
Thanks William.

Toni

nic007

#1379 Post by nic007 »

Thanks mcewanw, you saved me lots of time delving around. I already use puppy "frugally" with just the base file and sfs add-ons and no savefile. I find that I don't really need extra linux applications as I also have wine to run my favourite windows programmes. And as mentioned, I had problems copying the Debian Dog files to a FAT32 pendrive (some image files won't copy). Think I'll stick with Puppy. I've used Wary extensively but running Tahr now because it has a newer browser.

nic007

#1380 Post by nic007 »

saintless wrote:
nic007 wrote:This doesn't copy to and boot from a FAT32 partition?
It does both for me.
William already gave answer to your second question and I agree:
mcewanw wrote:But at the end of the day, if a person is used to and most comfortable with dotpet package management and is happy enough with Puppy Linux and the functionality it provides, then I feel they are best to just stick with that.
Thanks William.

Toni
Probably a bad download. Can't get it to boot from cd either.

dancytron

Re: xfce 4.12

#1381 Post by dancytron »

zagreb999 wrote:regards to all
--------------------
XFCE 4.12
---------------
laptop hp pavillion64 8gb ram

debiandog with xfce

wifi , remaster perfect

very good work
BUT,
VLC, CHROME, AUDIO, XFCE appearance DO NOT WORK

CAN YOU MAKE AN ISO WITH only XFCE 4.12 DESKTOP?
THANKS
I posted how I got Chrome to run in DebianDog64, both as root (with a switch to turn off sandboxing) and as puppy from root using gksu.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 150d32909c

I assume the gksu method would work with other "don't run as root" programs too, but I haven't tried.

fredx181

#1382 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

New version of porteusbootscript 0.0.3, see here for info:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 237#897237

Fred

fredx181

Fix for Thunar file-manager

#1383 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

Fix for Thunar included in Wheezy openbox_xfce iso, patched thunar version, see for more info here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 519#898519

Install:

apt-get update
apt-get install thunar
Or download and install the package:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Debia ... 1_i386.deb

It is higher version (1:1.2.3-4+b1) then official Debian version.

To install the official Debian-Wheezy version: 1.2.3-4+b1 (it displays the root-warning when logged in as root, the new patched version does not):

apt-get install thunar=1.2.3-4+b1
Added to Bugs and fixes list (10)

Fred

fredx181

#1384 Post by fredx181 »

Hi ALL,

New version of debdoginstallscripts (DebianDog-installer) 1.0.8, install:

apt-get update
aptget install debdoginstallscripts
See for more info about fixes here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 572#867572
And here;
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 300#868300

Added to Bugs and fixes list (1)

Fred

rufwoof

#1385 Post by rufwoof »

way back ..
saintless wrote:Hi, Alphadog.
I think with some help it will be possible to give full install option.
I will do some testing how it can be done proper with Debian.

In the meantime you can have something very close to full install but only with live-boot-v.2.x and live-boot-v.3.x It will not work with porteus-boot.
Make frugal install on sda1 (for example).
Create sda2 ext partition and label the partition live-rw (for live-boot-v.2.x) or persistence (for live-boot-v.3.x it will also need persistence.conf file inside).
Extract the content of /live/01-filesystem.squashfs on top of sda2 partition.
Delete 01-filesystem.squashfs.
Then create new empty 01-filesystem.squashfs from empty folder (/live/empty for example).

mksquashfs /live/empty /live/image/live/01-filesystem.squashfs
Reboot the computer with the same code for frugal install.
Now you boot DebianDog with empty squashfs module and all files are inside sda2 save partition uncompressed in RW mode.
The difference from full install is you still have initrd file in use.

Toni
Another variation (for liveboot 3 style) that at least works for Debian Jessie (I'm running the amd64 version) : http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 639#915639

In summary : format a ext3 primary partition sda1 perhaps. Install grub4dos to that partition, set its flag as 'boot' and allocate it a partition label = "persistence" (i.e. its also the save partition).

Grab a copy of Debian LiveCD ISO, open it and copy the live folder across to that partition (so for instance sda1 now has a /live folder), extract the content of the /live/filesystem.squashfs to the root of that partition and create a empty replacement filesystem.squashfs in the live folder. Edit the menu.lst file in the root (/) directory to look something like :

# menu.lst
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 4
default 1

title Debian Jessie Frugal RW
find --set-root /live/vmlinuz
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 boot=live config persistence quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64

title Debian Jessie Frugal RO
find --set-root /live/vmlinuz
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64 boot=live config persistence persistence-read-only quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
and boot that. Best to boot into RW mode first, do all the setting up/updating/configuring etc. as that saves changes instantly (RO boot mode can run out of memory space if a large amount of updates occur). Reboot into RO (read only) mode ... and no saves will occur ... unless you install and run something like the snapmergepuppy script in that other thread link I posted above i.e. enables save on demand in a otherwise read only session.

No overlays (other than what runs in memory during a read only session - or if you have one or more .squashfs in /live that get loaded at bootup (I think there's a limit of 7 maximum ??) - best avoided if you want the package manager (apt-get/synaptic) not to get messed up), like a full install, but with choices of read only no changes saved, save changes on demand or save changes continually. And all contained within the same single partition (menu.lst boot loader alongside persistence saves, alongside /live boot folder). And of course access to the extensive and stable Debian repository (and relatively quick security updates).

Note that to extract the /live/filesystem.squashfs to the / folder I first extracted it to a sub directory (I accepted the default choice of squashfs-root i.e. I just ran unsquashfs filesystem.squashsh) and then moved all of that squashfs-root folder content to /