Trouble with wireless at University

Booting, installing, newbie
pagepup

Trouble with wireless at University

#1 Post by pagepup »

I work at a University.I have access to wireless because I am a employee.The wireless needs a username and password for it to work.I can get it to work with my Lubuntu but not with the puppy linux.It says I need the Network Manager daemon to get started and running..Does anyone know how I can get the Network Manger daemon to work?

rcrsn51

Re: Trouble with wireless at University

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

pagepup wrote:It says
Who is "it"?
I need the Network Manager daemon to get started
There are lots of network managers. Please describe exactly step-by-step what you have tried so far in Puppy.

pagepup

#3 Post by pagepup »

The Univ wireless has a set of instuctions .The Univ calls it express connect.It is supposed to make the wireless more secure.I could never get it to work well on my xp either.It works ok on my Lubuntu.There is instuctions for Ubuntu and thats how I get the Lubuntu to work.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

pagepup wrote:There is instuctions for Ubuntu.
Please post them.

ardvark

#5 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

By any chance, do the instructions here help? Since this is for Lucid, the windows you see may be a little different. :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

pagepup

#6 Post by pagepup »

Here is the instructions https://connect.salisbury.edu/connect/ I used the download manually option to get it to work with Lubuntu.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

I looked at some of these XpressConnect setups and I doubt if it will work in Puppy. It needs a full Ubuntu or derivative.

ardvark

#8 Post by ardvark »

Hi all...

The site was down when I tried to look at them. :?:

Regards...

rerwin

Re: Trouble with wireless at University

#9 Post by rerwin »

pagepup wrote:I work at a University.I have access to wireless because I am a employee.The wireless needs a username and password for it to work.I can get it to work with my Lubuntu but not with the puppy linux.It says I need the Network Manager daemon to get started and running..Does anyone know how I can get the Network Manager daemon to work?
I have worked this type of issue with "Petr" in the frisbee development thread and offered a possible solution. It is in frisbee-1.2, which is available there in several versions. You can use can use the latest, posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 206#781206

The function involved is called "Identity". When I added support for it in frisbee, I explained it this way:
The rest of frisbee is the same as 1.1 but with the addition of support for the "identity" network variable, for logging into wireless networks that require a login and password for access (instead of an SSID and key). This was suggested by Petr, in our PMs regarding his difficulties.
[and then:]
For the new "identity" feature, the user of a network using "EAP" authentication will be prompted to provide an identifier in addition to a password/key -- although a "password" is requested, it becomes a "key" if used with an SSID. The new logic needs someone with the appropriate type of wifi network to test/verify, so I can debug any problem with it.
The PMs are long gone. But it turned out he needed to log in to (I think) a university, too.

Please try frisbee-1.2 using the information quoted above.
Richard

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

So XpressConnect is a front-end for wpa_supplicant profiles like the one here?

If so, pagepup would just need to find the specific version used by his university.