libGLEW.so.1.9: can't open shared object file: No such file

Using applications, configuring, problems
Glorfindel

libGLEW.so.1.9: can't open shared object file: No such file

#1 Post by Glorfindel »

How can I get this system to find GLEW? I have installed it multiple times and get the same error message.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Move these to /usr/lib. If you uncover more that's missing, see here.
Attachments
wrong_folder.jpg
(19.44 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Glorfindel

#3 Post by Glorfindel »

Thank you for your reply Semme, but move them from where?

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

You need to slow down and be more observant. For the record, I dwnldd your pkg to tmp so I could have a look.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

Library files usually go into the /usr/lib folder. This is where most programs will look for them. But some packages (especially from other Linux distros) install their files elsewhere, often in subfolders of /usr/lib. This is usually what has happened when a program still complains that a library is missing after you installed it.

In this case, it seems that the files are in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu, as Semme's screenshot shows. Move them up to /usr/lib so that your program can find them.
Glorfindel wrote:move them from where?
There are several ways to find out where a package has installed them:
- if you are using the ROX file manager, go into /usr/lib; it'll normally show newly-created files and folders in bold text
- open the package with an archive program to see which files are inside and which file paths they have
- use the file search (probably at Menu > Filesystem > Pfind)

Glorfindel

#6 Post by Glorfindel »

Thank you both for your replies, I will see if this works.